Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Paying Techs / Assistants

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jodi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paying Techs / Assistants
    Posted: 02/March/2005 at 3:20pm
I am new to the carpet cleaning industry and just getting started.  I can't seem to find a lot of information as to how staff get paid.

Personally, from experience in other cleaning fields, I prefer to pay a percentage of each job but I would like to ask for opinions on the subject.

What works and why?

Sponsored Links

MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/March/2005 at 4:37pm

Truthfully nothing works...lol

but it all depends on who's equipment it is....

employee GTA average 13% on booked 18% upsell(starter) for an experienced tech 18%book 24%upsell

sub GTA average 35%-45%.... some maybe better at 45% cross the board

precentage without time restrictions work best...

I think you can get CC'ers on hourly you can pay a novice 7 bucks an hour but it works it's way right up to 25 bucks for a seasoned cleaner

hope that helps

www.mr-steamer.com
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/March/2005 at 5:07pm
Jodi:  We pay 25% for the tech. + hourly for anything other than just cleaning. But I am not from the GTA.Guitar
Just My opinion
Superglide Ken View Drop Down
Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

SGK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superglide Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/March/2005 at 5:32pm
Doug: You mean that you don't have people that will work for just food up there like the GTA has?
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/March/2005 at 5:36pm
SGK:  I am the only one that has to work for food.Guitar
Just My opinion
Jodi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jodi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/March/2005 at 5:37pm
Thanks for the input!  I am not from the GTA either ... more west in Calgary but I imagine that we Canuks have a few things in common... eh?

So, how do you both weigh in on the sub vs. employee?

Specifically, since I do own all the equipment, do you have any suggestions?

thanks,
Jodi
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/March/2005 at 5:42pm
Jodi: A person is not considered a sub if you supply the equipment. Laws may very from provience to provience so the definition as to what revenue canada considers may be different out west but I doubt it. To be leagal a sub must register a WSIB that they are self employed or you could very be left on the hook if they do not consider you employee a sub.  I have been threw this. Laws changed regarding subs many years ago.Guitar
Just My opinion
Jodi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jodi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/March/2005 at 5:45pm

TRUE!  Don't want to be on the hook for that.  So, hourly or comission then?  What works for you (since I can't just pay in food)...
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/March/2005 at 6:48pm
percentages is the best way to go..... but if you go hourly you have to set time restrictions... or the labour might out weigh the job
www.mr-steamer.com
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/March/2005 at 6:56pm
another down fall regarding hourly is no incentive??Guitar
Just My opinion
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/March/2005 at 7:16pm
yes some people don't feel good if they aint upstealing for extra percentages
www.mr-steamer.com
Steaminpile View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/March/2005 at 7:40pm

when I started out I was being paid percentage

started at 20% and went up to 29% within a year.

@ 13% they'd better be charging  .50 sq.ft. otherwise you're making less than minimum wage IMO.

second CC job I had I started at $12 pr.hr. and made about the same $$$ with less hours

I'm looking at hiring someone and I'm thinking I'll just pay them $14 pr.hr. to start or 25% which ever they prefer

tough to find a good RELIABLE tech

I mean,why would any right minded decent person wanna be a carpet cleaner

A.K.A.
Andy
Zero KELVIN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero KELVIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/March/2005 at 8:03pm

Most cleaners dont have enough work in the winter to keep techs full time

Big talkers about how much they do in the summer but when winter comes the techs get fired quit or layed off.

they start with new techs in spring.

Before you hire make sure you have more than enough work to even keep a tech part time and think about full time much latter

Zero Kelvin

Jodi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jodi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/March/2005 at 8:04pm
You make a good point... there is a big difference in those percentages...

Please clarify for me if this is solo or in a team of 2 how pay should work.

Do you pay your tech a % then pay a helper a % too?  Is this why it is 13% (because it is times 2 people?)

Or do you pay a tech a higher % (20-29%) and have them pay thier own helper?

Also, what do you think is better solo or team of 2?

Edited by Jodi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>