Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

safety + msd sheets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Darling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: safety + msd sheets
    Posted: 22/March/2004 at 7:59am

Jack - you wanted a new topic so this one is for you. Over the past 18 months i have become much more aware of chemical safety than I ever have in the past. Many environmental and health  issues are being raised by governments all over the world.

MSD sheets seem to be my latest "bug" so i would like to inform everyone here how they really work. My starting point is one of the things you need to be aware of is the differences between Canadian and US laws.

In Canada, by law we must list any "hazardous ingredient" that is present in any product (as long as it is over 1% of the weight or volume.) Our Company has been inspected many times by the MSDS police and we have passed every time. You need to know that there is no point in trying to hide or screw anything up. The days of litigation are upon us and this is one issue that we as a company can easily avoid.

There are many other Compnaies in Canada who do not share this view and so they do not tell you everything they should. Whether this is right or not is another subject. You, as the user, however, do have the right to know.

In the US, any manufacturer does not have to tell you anything. They can either claim "New Jersey Trade Secret" or not list anything. THE LAW DOES STATE however, that they must tell you any and all safety information related to the ingredients. As an example, ethanol is a suspecyted  carcinogen. If I include it in my product i should be telling you this somewhere the safety information. This is not being done.

I see so many MSD sheets that are bogus - it doesn't bother me but it sure as heck should bother you!. After all you are the one using it! If you see any MSD sheet that contains a whole bunch of "nothing" I for one would be questioning it. Last week, I saw one for a solvent based protector. They said nothing about its' safety or wear a mask or anything. All it will take is 1 lawsuit and that guy will be toast.

I would urge everyone to carefully read your MSD sheets and if you don't understand something talk to the supplier or manufacturer. i would highly recommend taking a safety course.

Lets put the safety issue in perspective. Most of us understand that smoking for 40 years is not healthy. Most of us understand that getting drunk every night for 10 years leads to SERIOUS problems as well. The issue with chemicals is CONTINUAL LOW LEVEL EXPOSURE.

To put this perspective - any asbestos worker could easily explain low level exposure to you. Then again, they are all dead so I guess they  can't.

I have lots more to say butt his is a good starting point

Jim

Jim Darling
Sponsored Links

LilNiteRidrhood View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilNiteRidrhood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/March/2004 at 3:01pm

I have some very interesting info  put out by the Canadian Centre of Occupational  Health and Safety that will explain an MSDS section by section.

If someone is interested just say so and I'll e-mail you a copy.

greg View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2004 at 7:15am
yes please LilNiteRidrhood........ lanceromance1@hotmail.com thanks.
nothing is impossable. it just hasn't been done yet.
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2004 at 5:34pm
Does anyone carry the MSDS sheets in their truck??????you can get fined if you don't..
terry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2004 at 6:32pm
 I should but don't.Think i would if i was in th U.S.A  with all the law suits there.
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2004 at 6:59pm
Here in toronto it's a 1000 dollar fine for each chemical you don't have the sheet for....
Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2004 at 7:05pm

It is also your right and duty as a customer to ask for the sheets when purchasing your chemicals.

The seller or manufacture can not refuse you and also must have them ready and on hand when ever requested.

terry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2004 at 8:17pm
 Mr  Steamer who would fine you?
LilNiteRidrhood View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilNiteRidrhood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2004 at 8:22pm
All our trucks have MSDS on them.
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2004 at 10:17pm

The police...if you got into an accident...a roll over where chemicals where spilling out of the vehicle...The fire dept. needs to be able to identify the chemicals....

I don't know what good it would do them if the book was in the van...and I know it would be the last thing I would grab if I was in an accident...lol

hey that last post I for....got to finish the sentence....lol

Post Reply Post Reply