Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

HEAT - How much is too much?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rotti123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HEAT - How much is too much?
    Posted: 13/April/2004 at 1:42pm

Can I damage a carpet with too much heat?  The machines I used to used did not have a heater.  So it was just hot tap water.  My new machine will have a 200F heater.  Should I use it with caution?

Sponsored Links

Stanley View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/April/2004 at 5:26pm

Yes you can damage the carpet with too much heat........actually you should be cleaning at the 170-190 F range....

Just because you turn your temp dial to 200F doesn't mean it comes out the end of your wand the same temperature...you can almost expect a 30F degree drop

Edited by Stanley
People & Standards You Can Trust
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/April/2004 at 5:38pm
Stanley;  In my early days in this frorm I remember commenting on the heat differential from the machine to the wand and I was rediculed.  Has some of my nonsence rubbed off?  Are we no longer steam cleaners?  Or do we clean with hot water under pressere? I would have HWE but that is padman's line.
Stanley View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/April/2004 at 5:56pm
lol douggie.......my dial goes up to 350f......I can have nothing but steam mist coming out the bottom end of my wand...but do I want to clean a carpet that hot...no no no...plus I don't want to give a newbie wrong information.
People & Standards You Can Trust
nightrider View Drop Down
Marketing Master
Marketing Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/April/2004 at 1:12am

STANLEY BELIEVES IS OWN LIES, HE READS ALL THOSE BABY BOOKS ABOUT THE LITTLE ENGINE THAT COULD, 350F.........HA HAHAHA HA ,,,,,,,WHERE DID YOU GET THAT DIAL FROM A PRESSURE COOKER..........MY SONS CAR SAYS SPIDER ON THE BACK OF IT......BUT IT CAN'T MAKE A WEB

NIGHTRIDER

Steaminpile View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/April/2004 at 2:01am

200 at the machine should not be a problem unless it's wool or olefin.

My Cleanco runs at about 190-200 without my kero burner,and I very rarely turn it down unless doing a wool area rug or like I mentioned an olefin carpet.

so steam that pile.

carpetologist View Drop Down
The Great Hardini
The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/April/2004 at 2:46pm

Back a few years ago Dupont stated truckmounts that cleaned carpeting with Teflon protection at temperatures above 160ºF would crack, melt, and remove the finish deaming the warranty useless.

One enterprising truckmount owner who had a propane fired hot hot truckmount attempted to make the carpet fibers 160ºF but could not come anywhere close.

guesswhat60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guesswhat60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/April/2004 at 8:39pm
My  guage goes up to 200 but I have yet to get it up that high or damage one single carpet over the years, but I do watch my temps on rugs and upholstery
dyna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/April/2004 at 9:45pm
thats right guesswhat60
CLEANWORKS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLEANWORKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/April/2004 at 10:44pm
i use a propane burner that gives me up to 280 f. at the truck if i want.  i regulate to aprox 230 f. max which on a 150 ft. hose with a single jet want with a 11005 nozzle gives me aprox. 170 f on the carpet.  that's the water hitting the top of the carpet yarns.  the carpet yarns do not heat up to that temp as the wand is moving.  dupont dropped their temperature limitations .  limitation on wool rugs is 150 f.  unlikely to exceed that with your machine no matter what the gauge says.  only problem with a lot of heat, on olefin and polyester carpets you can leave a nasty welt with overheated hose.  i know, i have done it and its permanent.  good thing it is my carpet.
the thing about the word "impossible" is that it is mostly "possible"
Rotti123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rotti123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/April/2004 at 7:53am
  Lots of good info.  Thanks guys.  
KingCarpetClean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingCarpetClean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/December/2023 at 12:11pm
Absolutely, using excessive heat can potentially damage carpets. While heat is beneficial in carpet cleaning as it helps break down and remove stains, too much heat can cause problems such as color fading, shrinkage, and damage to delicate fibers.

Best Regards,
KingCarpetClean Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply