Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

What do you guys think of this:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you guys think of this:
    Posted: 04/May/2004 at 2:58am

"How to start a carpet cleaning business"

http://www.iversonsoftware.com/success/p3319.htm

I think this guy has soome good general ideas, but his plan requires more of a mastery of BS than of carpet cleaning. 

Sponsored Links

Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/May/2004 at 7:10am

It is a good article for a very ambitious person to get the general idea for carpet cleaning.

However I have a short attention span and it went on and on and on 

TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/May/2004 at 6:04pm
hehe adwa,  it basicaly says to start out by getting a bunch of customers and then renting a portable to service them.  When you got enough money, buy a portable and continue to work your way up from there.  I am not beyond doing something like this myself, but I want to do this proper, and that doesn't sound like the proper way. 
Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/May/2004 at 11:11pm

Oh but Tom

That way has been the start up of many carpet cleaning businesses, maybe not the renting part but starting with a portable most cleaners have gone that route and built from there.

It really all depends on what you can afford and the type of equipment you want to start with. One step at a time.

TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/May/2004 at 1:13am
  I'm pretty determined to save up for the OP system, then after awhile get a truckmount.  Funny thing is, I'll probably end up using it for everything but carpet cleaning.
Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/May/2004 at 7:31pm

Not knocking Padman's man system but on some of his post it appears that for some jobs you would have to use up to 100 pads.

Even if you cut this in half it would be a high cost for one job considering the cost of each pad that you would have to purchase. What I'm saying is how would this machine be used for residential, how would you get into the corners.

I know it sounds good for commercial jobs but I feel steam cleaning is still the better way, it would be less expensive. Just thinking out Loud!!!

MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/May/2004 at 11:37pm
I have though about that too... how does he do the corners????
TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/May/2004 at 1:47am

Without any further information, I would do the corners by hand with one of the pads.  Unless the corners happen to be trashed, I can't see it taking long at all.  We're only talking about a couple square feet in each room. 

Adwa, also the pads are reusable, so its not like you have to buy 100 more pads for each 100 pad job.  Each pad can be used at least 80 times, and you only use the same pad one time on a single job so...for 80 jobs, your cost per pad is 6 cents, your cost per 100 pads is 6 dollars.  

Also, from what I've read, a 100 pad job is a "big one", and the average residential job takes about 20 pads.  Going by that, a 20 day working month with 5 jobs a day (which I'd be very happy getting) equals $120. a month in pads.  My credit isn't spectacular so I don't see getting a lease or a loan on a tm/van for less than $120.0 a month.  And also, I am of the beleif that a business should have the least amount of debt as possible. 

I would love to see the whole formula worked out though by someone who has actually worked with the OP system.   

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/May/2004 at 6:22pm
TomR: I think you should buy a big air compressor, convert your op machine to air and that would just blow your competion away.  Or buy a truckmount learn how to operate it compentantly and save all that trouble and be a more versatile cleaner.  But it takes more conviction and dedication to go the tm route.Guitar
Just My opinion
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/May/2004 at 6:30pm
TomR: do what ever floats your boat...... I know OP can be great for commercial...but nothing beats steam on residential
TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/May/2004 at 7:56pm

Well, you guys are the experts...

Like I've always said, I want to work with the OP until I have enough to buy a TM, then use both.  The advantages of a TM seem to go way beyond carpet cleaning.  To be honest, I can think of a literaly dozens of jobs I've had in the past where a TM would have been ideal. 

That learning curve your talking about Doug, is one reason why the OP seems best to start with. 

LilNiteRidrhood View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilNiteRidrhood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/May/2004 at 10:45pm

We have an OP and the time we use it most is not when you would imagine.

our favourite time to use the OP is after HWE with a dry pad. When the carpet was trashed to start it just sucks up the remaining (filthy) moisture in the carpet and that prevents wicking too.

I always find it odd that some people  forget that the moisture thats left in the carpet is the same colour as the water in the waste tank.

Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/May/2004 at 11:46pm

I never thought of moisture left behind in that way, amazing.

Your my favorite teacher Lee, when next I see you I'm going to give you a big shinny Apple. 

TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/May/2004 at 12:28am
That does sound like the best overall method. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>