Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Portable Carpet Steam Cleaning Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

A Few Questions???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2008 at 1:52am
Just simply rebutting the points Soil Lint Green made about TM's.  If you read my first post I was just offering a suggestion for some one that wanted a more powerful set up.  Very simply, simple answer would be don't have the money or just want to stay with a portable.  Instead I get TM's are the same as a portable, they are used for getting grocery, only good for water extraction,  and that I'm like some false religion sales person.  All this off of I think he should get a TM.  So ya I'm going to fire back.  Ok call up COIT or Stanley Steamer and discuss you portable philosophy with them  if you can get them give up there TM let me know.  I'm sure they will be happy if they can still make 175million in sales with a portable.  This is also just a public forum making a few statements is not beating up someone, you make it sound like he is in the 3rd grade. 
Sponsored Links

John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2008 at 11:11am
Good posts bryan.. They just dont know any better...LOL
duckcountry View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2008 at 12:55pm
bryan, since when is Stanley Steemer a good example of anything?  Want to put that to a vote?  Maybe you were trying to say that Stanley Steemer is a user of the TM method and it is their low prices (like a porty operator) that keeps all their trucks on the road.  We would agree that price is why porty operators stay busy when compared to many TMers.  So, soil has a point.  Whether we agree with his tone and tactics, he does have a valid point.

John, who is "They"?  And what is meant by "They just dont know any better"?  It that some backhanded feeble attempt and regaining a position it seems soil knocked you off?  All the porty guys here would love to know what your true feelings are.

Are the TMers willing to admit that we are equal and not second class citizens?  Or would you prefer watchman, soil, myself among others continue the battle?

Would you like these porty operators taking pot shots at fuel wasting polluting money pit high priced machines or in an effort to educate your clan of the merits of portables with the same drive and passion you all seem to have and do it in all your threads or can you admit that portys do a great job, manufacturers of these units know that, the mills don't say all portys are bad (and they are the final word) and the porty guys are pros, not joes?

Back to your wargames.  I will be watching.

watchman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2008 at 2:02pm
TM operators...... I made a choice and decided to go the porty route. I have used a truck mount in the past and yes your right " more power". my point is it's power you don't need for residential so why go into mega debt for a TM if you don't need it to do a good job in the eyes of the customer. I have no over head and .90 cents of every dollar I charge a customer is profit. I realize that some consumers (not too many) think a TM will do a better job and that is why I will not take a porty into a home and choose to run it from a generator. The custy does not know whats inside my van and have never asked. So yes the cost of a TM did factor in my decision and the porty paid for is the quickest route to profit. TM operators remind me of the hotrodders that meet at a local parking lot on friday nights  to brag and look over each others engines and praise each other on how cool it looks and show pictures to each other. The problem is nobody cares except themselves, so you better get going I'll give you a head start on the spring market because you'll need 10 times more custys than us porty users to make a profit.  good day all!Wink
JUST WATCHING AND LEARNING
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2008 at 2:38pm
You are SOOOOooooo right, watchman.  Watch them come back with some comment about whatever you had as a TM doesn't deserve to be called a TM.  Defending the indefensible argument does not become these otherwise intelligent business owners.

How's the snow today?

Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?
watchman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2008 at 3:31pm
Sunny ..snow melting slowly. Never owned a truck mount. worked for Eatons Home Cleaning. They used pto units (only the best) they competed with Sears. never worked on one they had in house mechanics. I admit I didn't learn a lot from them, only went through the cleaning motions. Only had to turn a switch on and off with the van running an pull hoses in and out. But learned enough of the basics to start this business. This forum and a couple others have been a wealth of info that I have incorperated in my own business. So even though we'll all have to agree to disagree at times I thank all those on this forum for all the useful info.Carpet%20Cleaner
JUST WATCHING AND LEARNING
Clearly Pro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clearly Pro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2008 at 5:59pm
I have enjoyed this little debate.

Owning a porty myself....I have my views. I also pad....alot. If I thought...for one micro second...that a TM would get me better results...or the same results faster...I;d drop coin.

I do have one major reservation: Since I do a lot of high rise...how would I get my truck upstairs?

Dance like no ones watching
Love like you've never been hurt
work like youre already rich
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2008 at 8:09pm
In the freight elevatorQuestion
Or could you have a helicopter airlift itQuestion

Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?
B Rice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B Rice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/March/2008 at 2:30am
Originally posted by bryan bryan wrote:

Watchman why not just use a compressor to blow out the portable and skip on heating the van?  What I use to do. 

I've only been carpet cleaning for a year with a porty and get told by custys all the time that we did a better job than those "big companies" And get told that at least every week! Not to say I wouldn't use a TM but like Soil said its the its the tech not the machine!
Clearly Pro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clearly Pro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/March/2008 at 6:23am
I honestly feel that porty guys really focus more on quality and customer servcie. maybe it is because most porty guys own the business..and most TM guys are techs with a boss.

I like explaining my little machine...and watching the faces up my custys when the dirt "they" left behind....vanishes.

Plus...my equipment is paid for. In fact, it was paid for when it left the sellers front door. Not having that over head allows me a little more flexibility when it comes to picking my work.
Dance like no ones watching
Love like you've never been hurt
work like youre already rich
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/March/2008 at 11:38am
I love to see their faces light up when I bring the monster in the house.  When you say portable they are picturing a little Rug Doctor.  Then you roll a 4' high 125lb unit to their door and say "At least 10 times the power of those little guys the market rents" and any resistance is gone.  Then they see the thickness of the cords and they know this isn't a household appliance.  In my case it is 2 cords and I make a point of explaining I need 2 separate 20 amp circuits to power this, not 15 amp and again they understand we are talking power.  Telling them how I need to give it a few minutes to get that in-line heater at its peak to kick up the steaming hot water I just got from their tub and they understand they could never get this for the cost of a Rug Doctor.  If they ask I explain that TMs are great for water damage and in fact a porty could never do that kind of work.  But it is just too much power for carpet cleaning but many guys who are not being kept busy with water damage have to do something to fill the bill so they make it double as a carpet cleaning machine. 

Now they get it.
baires View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/March/2008 at 8:32pm
I am running portables machines for the last 4 years. I just can tell you something: There is good and bad carpet cleaning guys in anywhere, no matter if they are working with portys or truck. I honestly consider that a good tech can do an excellent job with the appropiate porty and knowledge. Same guy with TM same results more faster job and a few more dollars in his pocket. Just my opinion.
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/March/2008 at 9:15pm
TM compared to portys are like hand grenades compared to rifles.

Both are deadly but one requires more skill to use effectively.

TM techs don't have to be as good as porty techs.  They just throw more power at the problem and it seems to cover a multitude of sins.

I make a point of revealing the truths to my customers.  They deserve to know and then they can decide if it is better to pay for lower skills with bigger equipment or higher skills and environmentally friendly equipment to go with the Eco-Friendly GREEN cleaning solution I offer. 

In carpet cleaning More = Less.  Pay More Get Less.

bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/March/2008 at 3:04am
Duck,  to clarify I'm not saying portables are bad, after all I used one for 3 years, and still do.  You have already agreed that a TM has more power, so we can get past this.  Like portables they are also making them more powerful, which conflicts with you statement that you stated TM is over powered and there for a waste.  TM are also getting more powerful.  So the real question is, at what point does the power exceed the ability to clean.  Or in other words when adding more power does not give you better results.  I think we are there.  Seeing a lot of guys are trying to get more heat and cfm's out of there portable would also say that a portable is not enough.  Not let me also say that in some cases a portable is all that is needed. Like the retired single person with no pets and vacuums regularly dose not need a powerful TM to get the job done.  Owning both I can tell you the reason I have moved to a TM.  One a truck mount will allow you to go after more trades in the industry(flood work, tile and grout, air duct, and very soiled commercial).  I do a Chinese restaurant every two months and would love to see you get the results I can get with your portable, I'm sorry but not going to happen have tried.  Lets look at the four main elements to clean carpet chemical, water, suction, and agitation. If you use a weaker chemical you know you wont get as good as results as a good chemical.  Its a fact that the hotter the water the better it reacts with the chemical and also the water molecule doubles its movement after every 7 degrees once you past boiling point.  So with basic science you know that this will give you a better result.  Third suction, this is pretty simple the more dirty water you get out of the carpet the cleaner it will be(also dryer a plus with customers). The forth relates to TACT the A=agitation (working in preconditioners and also during cleaning).  So agitation and chemical which is the same in both TM and porty cleaning, you are left with heat and suction which both equal better results.  So I don't understand why you don't see this. These where the reasons I invested in a TM not for the stupid reasons ppl say about feeling more superior or some big d**k contest.  I wish you were in my area I would take you on a few jobs and you can see for your self.  Once you have used a TM and then you have to do high rise and use a portable(like I had to do today) you realize it all over again.
As far as porty guys being more educated I would agree, for this reason you have to use more chemical to remove some spots that a TM would take up with out chemicals, and chemicals=education. Remember this most TM operators started with a porty, so there are a lot of educated TM operators.  If my porty could do the same job as my TM I would go back trust me, every one would in fact there would be no demand for TM, but this is not the case.  You last point how portys equal eco-friendly.   Newer TM with air pumps, EFI, and cat's are very clean burning.  Now a portable that needs two circuits is pulling a sh*t load of electricity, and using hot water from the house.  Now unless something has changed a majority of electric is from coal and I don't know if you have seen a coal plant but it is not eco-friendly.  You also have the fact that you have to use more power due to the fast a TM is faster, so again burning more coal. I would love to hear you disputes to my points.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>