Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

new to the industry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adcc007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new to the industry
    Posted: 04/July/2004 at 2:53pm

I need guidence...

yes, I am aware that I need to take some kind of course.  Everything I know I have learned through research.  What do I know?  Just basic info about carpet cleaning.  I need info on this industry by people who are actually out in the field.  I need info on computer software management, marketing, what to do when I am at a customer's house, what is a reasonalble rate to charge, basically everything I need to know from start to finish.  I will eventually take a course but can not do so at this time.  There is a how to video that I am interested in buying.  It costs $100 but should really buy this? 

what kind of software do you all use or do you just use paper?  where can I buy software? 

Anyone who is willing to post a reply keep in mind while responding that you are responding to a person with NO carpet cleaning experience! 

Sponsored Links

LilNiteRidrhood View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilNiteRidrhood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/July/2004 at 4:10pm

I would advise you to go and clean carpets for a week or two first and see if you can stand it.

How much to charge will vary from area to area.

Some places in Toronto will do 2 rooms and a hall for $30. and some places you can't get it done for less than $75.00.

All the research in the world will be meaningless until you are out pushing a wand or RX/Rotovac. Volunteer to be ahelper or go get a job.

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/July/2004 at 9:13pm
Lee:  I totaly agree.  But I made this reccomendation to that Tom Green guy who was starting out sometime ago and everyone jumped on me.  The guy who didn't know if he wanted to OP clean, Steam clean or not clean.  I thought I was giving him some helpful info, but I guess I was wrong. Getting some exposure to the real world of cleaning could be an eye opener some people just don't want.  I really tried to help old Tom out but I just couldn't find out where he came in.  Guitar
Just My opinion
adcc007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adcc007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/July/2004 at 1:36am

I understand what you are saying.  I also agree to a certain extent.  I have been in restaurant management for years and have delt with a lot of customers.  I have also been a Business Agent for the second larget union in the world.  My job there was the most difficult job that I have ever encountered.  In the situation that I was placed I was the only business agent that lasted more than a year.  All the other previous business agents lasted a month or less.  These are all different industries but the point is that I am not afraid of anykind of new experience nor challenge.  I am still in the restaurant business and as for the union thing, there was a big political thing going on among people and I figured I'd just go back to the restaurant business rather than to deal with certain things that were going on. 

yes I would like to go out and clean carpets but I need customers.  I appreciate the advice but I need other kind of advice.  I am fully aware of going out and trying to get a job with a company cleaning carpets and I tired that but none of them are ever hiring around here.  If anyone else out there can give me some more advice that would be great!

Jim Lynch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/July/2004 at 5:17am

Have you considered the franchise route. It will cut the learning curve considerably.

Jim

carpetologist View Drop Down
The Great Hardini
The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/July/2004 at 2:14pm

The least expensive and excellent way for you to gain business is to purchase two Vehicle Pockets for $39.95 and stick them to you van. Especially if your van has your name on it. These are sheer ingenious. They attract potential customers to your van while it is parked. If one business card is taken and you get a call for it cleaning your entire investment is paid for.

Vehicle Pockets

I wish I had thought of that.
Albert Einstein
This is five star advertising.

adcc007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adcc007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/July/2004 at 3:15pm

Well, I can see that no one here is willing to help.  Thanks for the replies though...

terry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/July/2004 at 3:33pm

hey 007

look at Squid buss forms for marketing .As far as software The cleanner image,cammelot{sp},mistal.Do a serch on this board or ccb's.Hope this helps a bit .Regards Terry

r

PadMan View Drop Down
Dr. Low Moisture
Dr. Low Moisture

http://ccsop.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PadMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/July/2004 at 9:22pm
PadMan
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Online
Posted: 04 July 2004 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote PadMan

adcc007

Email me your address and I will send you some samples of chemicals.

Tell me about the brush on your rotary, are the bristles all even and flush?

If so you could use pads as opposed to bonnets and YES your results would be much better.

Give me a call if you like at 859-873-0273 and I would be pleased to help you with making what you have serve you better.

Thanks

Oh, and if done correctly HWE is NOT needed, EVER! I have a portable and a TM that just SIT,. haven't used them in years.. simply no need.

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/July/2004 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by adcc007 adcc007 wrote:

Well, I can see that no one here is willing to help.  Thanks for the replies though...

Look it Mr. 007 just what the hell do want everyone to do.  Everyone  here operates in a different enviroment, some in the city, some in rural areas and some in other countries.  Just because you buy a god damm carpet cleaning machine the whole world does not come to a stand still.  You seem to think someone has a magic spell to put on everyome in your area so they will hire you.  First learn how to clean.  Than get off your ass and start marketing your knowledge like everyone has to do.  You just got yourself in a very cGuitarompetitive business.  Maybe it is not still too late to change your mind.

Just My opinion
adcc007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adcc007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/July/2004 at 2:33am

Mr. Dougy

I apologize for thinking this forum was about giving each other help.  In case you did not know this, there is competition in every industry.  So, I guess I better just get on welfare than.  I am not asking anyone to come clean carpets for me and I am not asking people to give me their customers.  It sounds like you are afraid of competition.  What was it like when you didn't know squat about carpet cleaning?  I know you did what i'm doing and that is trying to get the hang of all of this.  Perhaps you should study business in general.  Competition is a good thing so don't be scared of it.  I am marketing myself and I did get off my ass, why do you thing I got in the carpet cleaning business?  Yes, I bought me a god damn carpet cleaning machine and yes, I do plan on buying more god damn equipment and if I was in your city I would eventually take your god damn customers away!  DISCUSSION OVER...

Steaminpile View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/July/2004 at 3:46pm

I started out by working for someone else.I'm very glad I did.I've learned quite alot since venturing out on my own.

In my first year I saw alot of employees come and go(this industry truly isn't for everyone.

I can't imagine starting a business I know absolutely nothing about.

question

if you can't even afford a class,how in the heck are you going to afford all the insurances,equipment etc. to start a biz??

I started with a low operating capitol and I TRULY do not recommend it to anyone.

MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/July/2004 at 6:43pm
It's all about the service...who cares about the equipment, it really comes down to the service
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/July/2004 at 7:09pm
Mr. 007:  Let me tell you something.  If all the educational seminars and training had been  available when I started life would have been quite different.  You had to fly and travel for ever to get to a simple carpet cleaning seminar.  How things have changed.  Competition most of it is like you all they know is what they have read on the instruction  booklet that came with the machine and what is on the lable on the jug of cleaner.  Ignorance and stupidity is no excuse for not knowing what you are doing when there is no end to the amount of available knowledgs out there.   Unfortunately in this day and age it is hard to earn while you learn to clean on someone's carpet.  Oh by the way I am still learning and try to attend seminars and workshops  when I can.  This is an ever changing world that we live in.  By the way I don't live in a city.  As Mr. Steamer states over and over " You live in a ONE HORSE TOWN"Guitar
Just My opinion
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>