Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Wool Rug Cleaning HELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bensurdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wool Rug Cleaning HELP
    Posted: 18/July/2008 at 6:43pm

I was asked to clean a wool rug for a client and was going to clean it with just hot water and my wand, but I don't want to mess it up. 

My question is: How do you clean oriental rugs, that are wool, and make them look good without damaging them? 

Sponsored Links

Mick Oz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/July/2008 at 6:58pm
Benjamin
Have you done any formal carpet cleaning courses?
If no my advice would be dont touch the rug and sign up for some classes.
Customers are STRANGE creatures, they buy an expensive rug and put it on the floor and they the kids and dogs do all sorts of things on it.
Then when you come and clean it and they are not happy the sue you. And you need some qualifications behind you to beat these lunies.
Some of these so called expensive rugs are done using food dyes etc and if you dont know what your doing you could cause the colours to run.
Mick
I'm a happy Little SLIDER
bensurdi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bensurdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/July/2008 at 7:01pm
Yeah I here you. I don't have the time to do a course between now and Monday which is a problem. Can anyone give me cleaning advice as to how to do it? 
Mick Oz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/July/2008 at 7:08pm
Benjamin
You will probably get some advice but experience has taught me to know when to walk away.
How much would you get doing this job?
Is it worth the risk?
My advice would be to pass on the job or network with an experienced operator in your area. Learn from a master not a possible financial heart ache.
Mick
bensurdi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bensurdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/July/2008 at 7:14pm
You're probably right. I've all ready cleaned many wool rugs in the past without complication but jon don told me that it was crazy to do it without training. It's a $400 job...
Mick Oz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/July/2008 at 7:20pm
When i started cleaning i didnt have the luxury of a board like this full of experts in all different fields.
I bumbled through doing what i thought was right (from what ppl told me how to clean)
After doing courses through ACCI and IICRC here in Australia, i still today shake my head and wonder how the hell i got away with doing what i did for so long.
Keep seeking advice from ppl on this board but DO the training ASAP.
No doubt there will be ppl here who can direct you to the courses you require over there.
Best of luck mate.
Mick
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/July/2008 at 7:39pm

Do the job and get paid man.. Here's a little training course and its free..Big%20smile

Inspect then Vacuum first.. Wool is damaged by alkali solution..Dead

Wool is resistant to mild acids, so cleaning solutions on the acidic side or with neutral soaps are preferred. Big%20smile

Chlorine products will damage wool instantly, but the other products, such as hydrogen peroxide or sodium perborate, are safe.

Prolonged heat, agitation and strong alkali solution will cause wool fabrics to "felt" or become a little fuzzy. .Confused

Wool can be easily cleaned if care is taken not to over-wet it and if the chemicals are watched carefully..Wink

Wool has the following advantages: * It resists burning * It hides soil well * It cleans easily due to it's soil resistance * It dyes easily into a variety of colors and tones  * It is flexible  * It is resilient (stretches and returns to it's length) * It is strong  * It resists mild acids

Wool's weaknesses are that it: * It stains easily * It is weak to alkaline solutions * It is expensive to use in carpeting ..Shocked

Wool fibers respond well to shampoo systems as do all of the natural fibers. Dyes used in wool are generally colorfast when cleaned this way and they dry brighter. Smile

Carpets made of wool will easily shrink if over wet. Particularly the woven backed carpets. The wool fibers are stretched during the weaving process and when wet they want to return to their original length. This shrinkage is noticeable in the length and the width of the carpet backing rather than in the relatively short pile. In Axminster carpets the shrinkage in the weft yarns is not correctable by re-stretching. Confused

Edited by John L - 18/July/2008 at 7:42pm
bensurdi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bensurdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/July/2008 at 7:48pm

Should I just turn my cleaning solution off and use just water to clean it? I have a prochem legend machine. 

Or should I buy the appropriate "shampoo"

Mick Oz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/July/2008 at 7:51pm
Very good advice there John L if he was just to clean a wool rug.
The overlooked part is the (ORIENTAL) part. Few if any that i have come across are just a plain one colour rug.
Normally they are multi coloured.
Having done several carpet cleaning courses and also the Woolsafe international training course, i was erring on the side of caution for an inexperienced operator.
$400 may sound good to grab and run, but if you have to pay your insurance excise and the down time you could have, if you dont know what your doing, dont do it.
That is my advice and of course my opinion only for what it's worth.
Mick
bensurdi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bensurdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/July/2008 at 7:58pm
Mick I understand that the training is necessary, but assuming you have gone through the training would you please provide the steps to doing a succesfull rug cleaning ?
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/July/2008 at 8:00pm
 "if you dont know what your doing, dont do it."  Great advice MickOz...

Forgot to mention caution should be taken when cleaning multi-colored dyed wools, because dyes are not as stable in wool/oriental fibers.

Edited by John L - 18/July/2008 at 8:01pm
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/July/2008 at 8:03pm
DUDE read my post if you cant clean it with that info then you need hands on training..Cry
bensurdi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bensurdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/July/2008 at 8:03pm
Guys I understand the caution part !!! :) I have cleaned several rugs but I was just looking for someone who is experienced to the point where they can suggest the cleaning solution and procedure of doing this correctly. So far I have been told not to do it. If you go to a training course they don't just say " don't do it" they tell you how to do it. 
Mick Oz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/July/2008 at 8:07pm
Benjamin
Try this site www.woolsafeusa.org i am sure they will steer you in the right direction.
Mick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>