Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Truck Mount Carpet Steam Cleaning Machines & Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

prowler portable: worth it or a waste?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coleECS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prowler portable: worth it or a waste?
    Posted: 12/October/2008 at 3:33pm
anybody use one of these? Just heard about them a couple of weeks ago and it piqué my interest but it almost sounds too good to be true. Truck mount power and high heat at a fraction of the cost seems like dream come true, but it might just be a pipe dream. If anyone has one, I would like to know how it stacks up, and whats the Pros and Cons.

Thanks.

-cole
Sponsored Links

John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/October/2008 at 6:51pm
Carpet%20Cleaner sure......  LOL
coleECS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coleECS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/October/2008 at 7:56pm
Thanks John...My thoughts exactly...???  umm....yeahClap
carla4297 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carla4297 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/October/2008 at 11:59am
Heard about it as well... Especially the price is interesting. Has anybody more information bout it?
Do it fast, do it right!
Superglide Ken View Drop Down
Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

SGK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superglide Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2008 at 3:49am
A waste. Many of my customers bought these and are having reliability problems. I would keep looking.
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.
scotty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/October/2008 at 4:36am
They have proven very popular in the UK in spite of costing twice as much over here. The advantages are obvious, or should be. They're certainly far more powerful than a portable and the lack of a waste tank is very appealing.

I don't have one, but know a couple of owners and the reports are very good.
we try harder and it shows
FreshAire View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreshAire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/October/2008 at 10:55pm
Kenny, I'm surprised at you, missing out on a business opportunity there aren't you?

Could've been your $99 truckmount package there! LOL
cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/November/2008 at 12:35am
Don't encourage himLOL

The STD Meter
Steaminpile View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/November/2008 at 11:14pm
suprised he didn't mention his porty actually
A.K.A.
Andy
Superglide Ken View Drop Down
Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

SGK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superglide Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/November/2008 at 4:50am
Originally posted by Steaminpile Steaminpile wrote:

suprised he didn't mention his porty actually

No need Andy. Almost all readers here know I sell them. They will contact me if they need one.
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.
Dad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/November/2008 at 9:29am
We purchased a "Used" Prowler 16 about three months ago and are very pleased so far. 

We prefer carpet cleaning with 300 PSI and the temp is well maintained at around 200 degrees, lowered to 200 PSI for furniture and mattress care we get 225.  If we raise the PSI the temp does not remain constant, so for tile and grout this would probably not be the right machine.  The unit is hooked into a Bane Cleane mini mount tank system, if we pre heat the fresh tank to 140 degrees we maintain 240 throughout cleaning. 

It weighs in at just over 300 pounds so the portable options are limited.  The prowler takes up very little floor space in our Astro van so it fits our gas saving application well.  The attached gas tank runs at just over two hours before refilling is needed, we will probably tap into the Astros tank at some point. 

The no tank / pass through waste water system works well, at 300 PSI we are getting 2 to 3 hour dry times  using 1 pass dry strokes.  The vacuum/waste water exhaust will not work running to a customers toilet, toooooo much air flow.  Does work well into deep sink.  If needed we also have the option of running through the Bane waste tank. But be careful, the Prowler does not have a vacuum release valve. It can break a weak weld in the tank, we found out the hard way.

The service at Amtec appears to be more than helpful.  Took the time to talk me through operation set up, points to be aware of, answered questions, and sent me owners manual even though I did not purchase machine new. 

My thoughts, hope they help. 
"Cleaning America,
1 Room At A Time"

Pleasing Customers Since 1970
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/November/2008 at 11:58am
Get that gas tap Dad.. Safer..
Dad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/November/2008 at 3:46pm
Agreed John. Wanted to make sure We liked the machine before we made it more permanent.  Thanks for the warning though.
"Cleaning America,
1 Room At A Time"

Pleasing Customers Since 1970
FuzzSucker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzSucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/November/2008 at 1:16pm
No vacuum release valve!

You need to get those put on your waste tanks asap. A release valve is not an optional feature. If you dont have one on the blower you will void the warranty. It keeps the machine from running to hard. Kunkle is a nice valve, but if you cant get a nice one, at least get something.  That super high pressure is going to damage your blower as well as put to much stress on your engine and couplers.

Edited by FuzzSucker - 06/January/2009 at 2:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply