Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Truck Mount Carpet Steam Cleaning Machines & Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Cold weather issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cold weather issues
    Posted: 25/October/2008 at 6:13am

In snowy areas in the winter, where do you TM guys park your vans when not in use for the night? Do you have a heated garage? What if you don't have a heated garage, what else can you do to keep your equipment from freezing?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2008 at 11:47am
The boyZZ in Canada will come by soon.. But here in Wisconsin my van is parked in my driveway.. No garage  with 2 oil filled radiator heaters.. 1 heater From the side door between the door and TM the other on the side of the pump and HE'ers..

Depending on the temp outside determines the settings on the heaters.. Drain your mixtank pump and HE and pour blue windshield washer fluid (-20f) in your mix tank then run it until it comes out your short pressure hose in to a 5gal jug.. Save it .. You can reuse.. Flush out before the job back into that 5 gal jug.. Your ready to clean.. Takes only a few minutes..Big%20smile

If you dont have a garage it would be wise to fully insulate your van like i did.. The snow melts and you get huge chunks of iceicles hanging around..LOL

Edited by John L - 25/October/2008 at 11:49am
cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2008 at 3:10pm
Heated garage. I wouldn't do it any other wayThumbs%20Up

The STD Meter
Hammy View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2008 at 5:53pm
Cmaster is right on, however you can get buy as I did for many years without a heated garage, by having a garage and just heating the inside of the van. Make sure the van is insulated and the garage is sealed tight. This is comming from a guy living in Canada. I never had a problem as long as I paid attention to the temp outside and inside the garage.
Could somebody just clean my carpets!
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2008 at 11:04am
I used to just build an igloo for my tm
Just My opinion
FreshAire View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreshAire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2008 at 12:06pm
How to deal with cold weather.... Hmmmm.....

Migrate to Australia... freezing? What's dat? Overheating more the problem here!!Bouncing%20Smileys
Steaminpile View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2008 at 3:34pm
I always did what John L does,,,,,,,1 van in the carport and one in the drive way,,,,,,froze water lines a couple times but never hurt the pump or HX's luckily,,,,,but until it hit -25 celcius or lower,,,,it wasn't really an issue

spray foam insulation works wonders
A.K.A.
Andy
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2008 at 4:17pm
John I would find something else to do if I had to do that very night?
Just My opinion
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2008 at 4:25pm
Like what? Apply for Social Security..LOL! Doesnt take that long doug..
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2008 at 5:08pm
To prep the truck or apply for social security?
Just My opinion
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2008 at 7:49pm
LOL 
jaymark1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaymark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/January/2009 at 2:09pm
I have a butler.  i takes me 15 minutes every day to prep for freezing.  I dont wasnt any money on electric, and once you learn how to do it right, it works every time.
I dont predict the future or sell glides, am I allowed on this site?
FuzzSucker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzSucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/January/2009 at 12:13am
You can also use an air compressor to blow the water out of the unit. Keep the pressure low and turn the pump over by hand to get the water out of it. It does not take a perfect seal just a little air will empty most systems enough to keep the ice from expanding enough to do any damage.
duckcountry View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2009 at 2:03am
Originally posted by jaymark1 jaymark1 wrote:

I have a butler.  i takes me 15 minutes every day to prep for freezing.  I dont wasnt any money on electric, and once you learn how to do it right, it works every time.

Like your signature.Thumbs%20Up
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>