Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Truck Mount Carpet Steam Cleaning Machines & Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Waste tank smells like sewage gas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarpetproKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waste tank smells like sewage gas
    Posted: 05/April/2010 at 6:10pm
Hi Folks,

My waste tank smells like a sewer. How can I clean this thing out in a way that will kill anything that is alive inside of it (organic sh*t)? 

You cant smell it until I turn the van on and then you can smell up to 40 feet behind the van- I feel bad for anyone driving behind me on the highway. I use an inline filter that catches most matter that would smell in the tank I think but this is really horrible. I popped the top off the 240 Gallon waste tank today and you could see the gas vapor rising out of this thing. HELP!
Sponsored Links

RIP IT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RIP IT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/April/2010 at 10:57pm
Wear eye protection and thick gloves.
Vacuum some antimicrobial like Hydrocide through your hoses and half fill your waste tank. Get scrubbing and give it a good rinse out. I clean my waste tank every week. No smell.
Asset maintenance.
Dont treat people like customers. Treat them like friends.
LArugcleaning View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LArugcleaning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/April/2010 at 9:00am
oh my..I suggest you wear a protection such as face mask and hand gloves.. It is dangerous to inhale it..It might damage your lungs..
jaymark1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaymark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2010 at 4:58pm
Did you leave the water in the tank for a few days? 
I dont predict the future or sell glides, am I allowed on this site?
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/April/2010 at 11:51am
HoneyWagon! Wacko Also add some degreaser, after scrub high pressure
wash as its dumping in the proper location or dump in a 5gal. and do
the bucket brigade until clear water comes out. Shocked
kevenlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevenlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2010 at 3:18am
Hi This is very important when you are  going to clean yoor tank. you may need gloves for your hand foot and you need amask which can keep you away from the gases. By using this you can clean your tank more easily. Most preferable thing is that you need to call a professional tank cleaner because they have all equiments which will used in cleaning. 
Ken Harris View Drop Down
Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2010 at 9:26am
There is enough bacteria in these tanks when left to ferment to make you very sick. I was once sick for 6 months in the 1990s from it. I would wear a respirator cleaning it out now knowing what I now know.
Inventor of Teflon Carpet Wand Glides.Free Glides for all Cleaners in June!
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2010 at 12:10pm

There are times i cleaned the lint basket with my bare hands pressure

washed out the tank with no eye protection or respirator.. Confused Confused Confused

Never again............NukeNuke DON'T DO IT.!!!!! Confused Confused
Lanakila View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lanakila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/July/2010 at 1:41am
I have made the mistake of leaving my H20 in the waste tank and,  I too had the same problem. I found cleaning it as best as I could, along with a generous coat of Colorox, she passes. I try to keep a close eye on my exhaust and *Not allow ANY water to spray out. I have a smaller van, and waste tank so it is a standard habit now for me. But it is my understanding that the smell is caused by some of your (my) wastewater being backed up (overfull tank) and causing it to spray out the exhaust. the smell hasn't gone 100% away, but i have noticed a HUGE improvement simply by cleaning box daily and not allowing to overfill.

FYI.- I do alot of rural area homes (in the vineyards and redwoods) so sometimes a sewer line is not availible. thus overfill is and can be an issue, VRs city sewer areas. lol things we take for granted! lol
"A'ohe hana nui ka alu'ia."
Translation: No task is too big when done together.

Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/July/2010 at 9:50am
Clorex bleach is the way to go. A cup or 2 in the tank and rinse. No smell.
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2010 at 7:40am
Originally posted by Ken Harris Ken Harris wrote:

There is enough bacteria in these tanks when left to ferment to make you very sick. I was once sick for 6 months in the 1990s from it. I would wear a respirator cleaning it out now knowing what I now know.
Ken you are not supose to get right inside the tank when you clea it?Gas
Just My opinion
Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2010 at 5:15pm
Your face near it is all it takes.
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2010 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Lanakila Lanakila wrote:

I try to keep a close eye on my exhaust and *Not allow ANY water to spray out. I have a smaller van, and waste tank so it is a standard habit now for me. But it is my understanding that the smell is caused by some of your (my) wastewater being backed up (overfull tank) and causing it to spray out the exhaust.

My unit shuts down when the WT is full. Big smile Your should also. Shocked
whats the deal? Cool
Lanakila View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lanakila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/July/2010 at 1:33am
running a older, spitfire 4.0. probbally needs to be on list of "to-do's" lol, gawd doesnt maintanance make you cringe. anyhow duly noted, thanks will point out next time in serv. for got about that :D :D lol
"A'ohe hana nui ka alu'ia."
Translation: No task is too big when done together.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>