Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Business Marketing Advertising and Promotion Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Starting and Building a Business

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
duckcountry View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/September/2007 at 4:39pm
I limit my advertsing to coupons only. 

Printed 3 up on a page, paper cutter turns a full color sheet into a low cost series of 3 individual coupons.  These are attached to the prospect's door jam, out of site from the street so my competition never knows which neighborhood I am working.  Taped to the door jam using scotch tape dispenser model H103 with 2 clicks of the trigger and then thumb the cutter making the tape pieces short enough and uniformly even (see picture of handheld dispenser at http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/home_office/home/product_information/tape_dispensers/). 

Referrals and repeat business amounts to half of my jobs and the coupons make up the difference.  Have the business card holder on the van and it works as a conversation piece, nothing more. 

Coupons are cheap, directly targeting desired neighborhoods and effective for me (1 call for every 56 coupon average with a printing cost of approximately $.05 US for full color professionally printed.  I leave room on mine so I have an area to place a label containing the current special. 

I invite you to download the coupon sheet at http://www.babysafecc.com/25515.pdf to see the visual quality and hope it gives you an idea or two guys.
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?
Sponsored Links

Fiber-Dry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiber-Dry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/July/2007 at 6:50pm

When we started our company in 1985 we were very limited on cash for advertising. We were forced to come up with ideas to solicite new customers. One of the things that bothered me was when I walked from house to house I would see coupons, etc blown to the yard or porch of the house. We decided that sent the wrong message and used painters tape to adhere our coupon flyers to the front door. The tape releases easily for the customer and doesn't damage the paint. Many times there is glass on the door and its a good way to stick them on the glass as the customer can see from inside the house that there is something on their door. Needless to say our response rate increased and it was customer friendly. To this day we still do coupons door to door along with our advertising. The best way to get customers is to try and talk face to face with people. Also most cities have BIN or some form of a networking group established. Its a group of business people gathering for the sake of establishing referrals. Any questions....ask and I will respond.

Hope this helped

Angelo Darin
cleanaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cleanaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/July/2007 at 1:21am

Maybay, if you're still reading here is a good forum for housecleaners (and carpet cleaners......)

This is also a great way to purchase chemicals at a discount.
cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/July/2007 at 6:11pm
Cuz they don't want you to unleash the true power of your unit. It's also easier on your blower, belts, etc

The STD Meter
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/July/2007 at 11:37am
I hear what your saying man but why do you think the Manufacturer's said that?
cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/July/2007 at 1:40am
Roots 47. Big difference in vac. I will do my 45 next. I suggest you try it. You won't be disappointed

The STD Meter
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2007 at 11:11pm
Thanks Jeff.. I'll check it out..

cmaster, why? whats wrong with your 2" hose? 2.5" from the wastetank? What size blower you running?

The reason i ask is i called the makers of my TM and they said dont bother with a Y to the WT and 2.5" hoses it wont make much if any difference on my 26hp -- 45 roots..

cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2007 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by John L John L wrote:

What ya upgrading cmaster?

Upgrading to 2.5 inch hose on one of my units

The STD Meter
Jeff Van Buren View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Van Buren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2007 at 9:21pm
    JohnL-
Vehicle pockets    
http://www.cardpockets.com

800-700-3919
I paid around $30.00 for pair
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2007 at 8:50pm
What ya upgrading cmaster?

Cleanaz, Your sure right about raising price and the different clients you attract.. I no longer get the Hood ppl who always want low price for trashed carpet... NO THANKS!

Jeff, Those pockets, where did you get them?

Jeff Van Buren View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Van Buren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2007 at 2:03pm
    Rick-
I have those vehicle pockets on my van for about a year best $30.00 I ever spent.
Build a business- FOCUS on your customer, your increased knowledge,meet and exceed expectations,Focus on your customers needs more than yours, fair pricing don't be a whore,Clean equipment,Clean uniformed appearence. Look professional, be professional. Figure a niche market and way to market it. Follow and read forums,books, etc. this is not a 9-5 job. Take pride in what you do and how you do it,
cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2007 at 8:24am
Originally posted by John L John L wrote:

JB, did you use classifieds or display ads? 4" deep and 2 columns wide work alot better than tiny classifieds. Sure, they cost more but also i seen they pulled in more cash..

Where are you in the USA? I'm in Wisconsin.

Took a lunch break gota go.. How about you cmaster? On lunch or off today?

Doing maintenance and upgrades on my trucks

The STD Meter
cleanaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cleanaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2007 at 3:19am
Love all the posts, took about an hour to get through them all.  About time people started actually talking instead of flaming on this forum.....

I bought a defunct business in '98.  Had little to go on, but almost nine years later have only advertised once (untill now) and been able to survive.  All was word of mouth.  As I grew I "culled" out the bad and brought in more of the good.  I did this by RAISING MY PRICES. 

Every time I did so I reached a new class of people.  Funny story, when I started I was at ten cents a foot.  I went to twelve and literally had people yelling at me!  I am now close to .30 and most people say I don't charge enough.  That is the difference between the type of client that you service.  I also rarely come across a "trashed" carpet anymore, higher class people don't trash carpets.

So that's how I did it: hard work, no cutting corners, enthusiasm and pride, and slowly working up the ladder of classes.  It's still a work in progress but things are looking up.

P.S.  I hate commercial and rarely do any, too much work, but it is a steady check if you are just getting started. 
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/June/2007 at 2:05pm
JB, did you use classifieds or display ads? 4" deep and 2 columns wide work alot better than tiny classifieds. Sure, they cost more but also i seen they pulled in more cash..

Where are you in the USA? I'm in Wisconsin.

Took a lunch break gota go.. How about you cmaster? On lunch or off today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>