Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Bleach as an odor eliminator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grutzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bleach as an odor eliminator
    Posted: 05/September/2010 at 11:20am
I think some of what makes me very good at this profession is that I have an open mind and try nearly everything. I have tried some of the super expensive odor eliminators and have never come away impressed with them. Even the newest ones with hydrogen peroxide are limited in their ability.

There have been times when I walked into a house and it was as if I walked into a giant urinary tract. Of course, it would be best to simply discard the carpet and pad, clean the subfloor etc. but some customers don't want that for varying reasons. I have found that a dab of bleach in your extraction water works better than anything. Of course I would also recommend water claw flushes and make sure you charge a significant amount extra for it. I would stay away from the $75 a gallon chemicals because they are too expensive and don't even work as well as a $3 gallon of bleach. You just have to be very conservative with how much bleach you use so you don't damage the carpet.
Sponsored Links

papagator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papagator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/September/2010 at 3:44pm
Sounds to me (and maybe only me) that your luck will run out soon and using bleach will bite you in the A$$. Then you'll have to replace the custy's carpeting. Clown
just swimmin in circles
Grutzy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grutzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/September/2010 at 5:38pm
I only use it on disgusting, urine stenched carpets so liability is non-existent since the carpets should be replaced anyway. In addition, I only use a very small amount and there isn't nearly enough in there to lighten a carpet.
duckcountry View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/September/2010 at 9:15pm
But it is not recommended by the carpet mills, the carpet chemical companies and that justification is hardly in line with industry standards.  The only safe bleach I know of if H2O2 which is found in some factory formulated chemicals.
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?
nightrider View Drop Down
Marketing Master
Marketing Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/September/2010 at 5:50am
Use a bleach for unbleachables, perfect for trashed carpets. You can also use a Non Bleach formula. The 2 mentioned will also save your lungs and eyes over long exposure.

H202, needs to be handled with caution, although it's many benifits from adding to drinking water to harsh cleaning tasks, it would not be cost effective in your application.

Nightrider
grimel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/September/2010 at 8:10am
Putting bleach on anything containing ammonia (urine) is an accident waiting to happen.   All you have to do is clean someone's carpet who has respiratory problems.  Even small amounts of chlorine gas can put them in the ER.

Bleach is over rated for almost everything cleaning related.
When all else fails, read the directions
Grutzy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grutzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/September/2010 at 12:22pm

Nonsense! Bleach works wonders on urine odor removal. 

What you are missing is that the combination of bleach and ammonia is only dangerous in strong concentrations, not when the bleach is diluted heavily in water.

Mixing diluted ammonia or urea with diluted chlorine is not dangerous and in fact is what goes on in swimming pools and spas. The reactions are as follows:

2NH3 + 3HOCl --> N2(g) + 3H+ + 3Cl- + 3H2O
Ammonia + Hypochlorous Acid --> Nitrogen Gas + Hydrogen Ion + Chloride Ion + Water

(NH2)2CO + 2HOCl + 1/2 O2 --> N2(g) + CO2(g) + 2H+ + 2Cl- + 2H2O
Urea + Hypochlorous Acid + Dissolved Oxygen --> Nitrogen Gas + Carbon Dioxide Gas + Hydrogen Ion + Chloride Ion + Water

If you were to use concentrated solutions, especially of chlorine, then you can form higher order chloramines including nitrogen trichloride which smells really bad and is irritating and in sufficient concentrations, dangerous. We are not talking about high concentrations, so therefore you are way off the mark.

Grimel, if you make another inaccurate post like the one above, I will stuff you right back where you came from, the dreaded Recoil Scrub Pit.
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/September/2010 at 2:01pm
It brightens up the tips on nylons. One of my slum lords always leaves
a gallon of chlorine bleach at his trashed out apts. Confused

I add to prespray 8oz/gal. diluted your safe. Confused
Thats the only place it is used. Trashed out and empty. Confused
Dont really like the smell even though all the windows are open! Confused
grimel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/September/2010 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Grutzy Grutzy wrote:

Nonsense! Bleach works wonders on urine odor removal. 

Grimel, if you make another inaccurate post like the one above, I will stuff you right back where you came from, the dreaded Recoil Scrub Pit.

You can try to blather on, but, when you run into ONE person with respiratory problems I hope you are carrying enough liability insurance.  Dilute/concentrated makes no difference other than it takes a lower concentration the more respiratory problems someone has.
grimel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/September/2010 at 9:20am
Originally posted by John L John L wrote:

Dont really like the smell even though all the windows are open! Confused

Respirators are cheap.
carpetologist View Drop Down
The Great Hardini
The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/September/2010 at 3:04pm
Once your customer smells chlorine bleach you may get a negative call-back condemning you for your actions. If it works you will get NO call-back meaning you just gave them the formula and they will never call you back defeating your profit.

P.S.
The word bleach to a customer is similar to mentioning acid. They immediately think that battery acid is an extremely harsh product. Back publicity and bad for profit.

Profit is associated with Pro. The more professional you are the higher the Profit...plus because of your efforts in doing and thinking like a Pro you truly deserve it.

Ken Harris View Drop Down
Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/September/2010 at 4:37pm
This is the same reason I dont use vinegar as an alkaline neutralizer no matter how cheap it is.

I only use products that the customer can't get themselves.
Inventor of Teflon Carpet Wand Glides.Free Glides for all Cleaners in June!
Grutzy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grutzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/September/2010 at 5:10pm
The problem is that the products that you get from the industry do not remove urine odor and cost way too much. Only an imbecile would continue to spend $75 a gallon on an odor counteractant that does not work. Also, I do not tell my customers that I am using bleach.
nightrider View Drop Down
Marketing Master
Marketing Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/September/2010 at 6:03pm
Sorry Ted.....Profit has nothing to do with being a pro at all, just look at all the oil companies, banks, mortgage companies, large retail box stores.....where's the professionalism there, they hire cheap labour to be their pros and customer relations agents.....imagine that $ 10.00 / hour PROS.

Kenny, funny thing you should mention vinegar, I used a gallon just last night to neutralize a floor stripper just before the sealer.....wow what a smell.....like a french fry festival.....know what the owner of the place said....." That's fantastic didn't know vinegar was good for that, then asked me if it was good to put in the sink drains..........guess what..... just make a customer for a long time.....he was paying $ 37.00 / Gallon for some other drain deodorizer, compair that to $ 2.19 Gallon for vinegar.

Nightrider
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>