Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

HELP! Cleaning Olefin Carpet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
The Great Hardini
The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP! Cleaning Olefin Carpet
    Posted: 21/October/2010 at 4:32pm
Everyone always seems to have the answer we are all looking for until you ask them to prove it. At that point it is usually just hot-air.

Olefin seems to show up more frequently than not these days. The high humidity of this summer resurfaced more soil and spots than I normally see. Everyone seems to have the answer, technique or chemical to solve all. Yet, my telephone rings all day from customers who feel they are doing the proper cleaning job yet run into disasters after the carpet dries. Hits the fan

I would be happy to hear from the guys in the trenches and how each one deals with this wicket wicking issue?

I have my own suggestions that I am willing to divulge after I hear from you.

Looking for some good educational dialogue on cleaning Olefin successfully.

Sponsored Links

duckcountry View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/October/2010 at 8:47pm
I own a white Olefin blend.  Most olefins are blended with nylon these days.  My secret?  Use VLM methods only, to be safe make sure the chems are very good encap chems.  I am sure Kleen Kuip Supply Mart Inc. has some suggestions on chemicals, personally I use Steve Smith's line here in the states.
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?
Rob M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2010 at 8:17pm
wicking is caused by 2 things.  1 carpet not cleaned all the way through, and 2 improper drying.
to solve the problem, slow down on cleaning olefin, take your time and clean it thoroughly. Do lots of extra vacuuming, this reduces drying time, and reduces the risk of wicking
Ken Harris View Drop Down
Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/October/2010 at 12:18pm
There are only 2 sure solutions to this problems that work everytime IMO.

One is to use a process that does not use water.

Two is to dry the carpets rapidly after you do use water.

In our operation in Calgary we use 3 different systems to do that.

Truckmounted Power-Dry using an RX20 rotary to dry in 5 minutes
Portable equipped Power-Dri System to dry a room of carpet in 10 minutes
Power-Dri System in a box that dries carpet in 10 minutes using desiccants

All work.

You could also use the powerful downdraft fan systems as well if you have an hour to stand around while they dry the carpet. You will need at least one for every room you clean. At $600 each it could get expensive and you will need lots of carrying room in your truck as well.
Inventor of Teflon Carpet Wand Glides.Free Glides for all Cleaners in June!
baires View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/October/2010 at 2:38pm
VLM all the way. Very good vacuum first, pile lifter if you have one, op machine with fiber plus pads (beige)for agitation and gladiator pads after that for extraccion. Releasit Hydrox when you dealing with urine or browing problems or Releasit Punch for regular soil. Encap products only. That is working so good for me.
LilNiteRidrhood View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilNiteRidrhood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/October/2010 at 9:57am
The real key here is not to allow too much dwell time. If extracting a filthy olefin use a souped up prespray (added oxidizer and citrus solvent) little dwell time, extract and then pad out with a cotton pad.
Don't forget olefin LOVES oil.
Olefin wicks VERY quickly.
I use Stain Absorb to demonstrate that olefin wicks within 2-3 minutes.

carpetologist View Drop Down
The Great Hardini
The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2010 at 12:43pm
On my opening thread I indicated that most people you ask questions of come back with hot-air.

Over the years Kenny has been accused of a lot of hot-air. But Kenny, you may just have something to solve Olefin drying issues with your Power-Dry system.

Hot Air + Dessicant in a box.

Ken, I always told you that one of these days one of your ideas will hit paydirt.

Good Luck Thumbs Up

Ken Harris View Drop Down
Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2010 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Carpetologist Carpetologist wrote:

On my opening thread I indicated that most people you ask questions of come back with hot-air.

Over the years Kenny has been accused of a lot of hot-air. But Kenny, you may just have something to solve Olefin drying issues with your Power-Dry system.

Hot Air + Dessicant in a box.

Ken, I always told you that one of these days one of your ideas will hit paydirt.

Good Luck Thumbs Up

Yep, the Power-Dryer is a simple system that allows a cleaner to dry 100 sq ft of carpet in 10 minutes after cleaning it. I will be sending one to Kleen Kuip for the GTA Cleaners to check out:

Desiccant is inside the box. You connect a hose and wand to the box and you can fast dry any carpet but wool.
Inventor of Teflon Carpet Wand Glides.Free Glides for all Cleaners in June!
 Post Reply Post Reply