Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Truck Mount Carpet Steam Cleaning Machines & Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Boxxer 421 Heat issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawncas00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boxxer 421 Heat issue
    Posted: 29/December/2010 at 7:22pm
New to the forums, but see a lot of knowledge here.  Perhaps an opinion to this issue?

With that said. One of my vans which I have owned a while now, (few years, Boxxer 421 with less than 1200 hours on a NEW Briggs Engine... Original one crapped out.)

Unit has never been a primary clean unit for me. but other than constant, little issues and the need to replace engine it has run solid. 230-260 degree heat by end of pre-spray has never been an issue.

Month ago I took it to Interlink to get a service done on the unit, the only real problem they saw was that the throttle and thus RPM were apparently too high. (Had run this RPM since new or at least unadjusted. Whether by coincidence, or something shortly after dropping the throttle I began having issues getting to full heat.. Diverter valve arm throttling, light engaging, etc, but very hard time getting up to temperature and remaining there. Was now taking 10 minutes or more to break the 200 degree mark, sometimes getting to 230 or so, but then randomly dropping down rapidly under normal cleaning use. (Same wand, same tips.) Even as much as to drop all temperature showing on gauge by completion of a 30 minute job. (Very random acting.)

Then decide to take it to Jon Don, they do a full service, etc. I mention the throttle adjust which he inspects and claims is now a few hundred RPM below norm, and that this could be my issue... He adjusts the throttle back, runs the wand for a while and unit remains at heat. Of course assuming the unit is fixed I drive 2 hours home and prepare for my big night of cleaning under proper heat again.......

Same issues as described..

Have noticed when we seem to be having the most heat issues, I am getting surplus steam blasting from exhaust which I have never noticed before......?

Currently, Interlink nor Jon Don have any clue as to what the problem may be...

Suggestions please? Before I drive it 2 hours in either direction to Jon Don or Interlink again.
Sponsored Links

John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2010 at 8:31pm
Have you descaled or bled (airpockets) your HE's?
Your dema solenoid could be stuck in dump mode so most
of your hot water is going in the wastetank.
Could be a bad thermostat. Usually caused by overheating.

Are you prespraying while your TM is running at high rpm's?
Let it idle you will save gas and the water won't stand still and overheat.
Maybe an exhaust leak somewhere then you loose heat!
shawncas00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawncas00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2010 at 8:49pm
Thanks John - All very valid thoughts.

I did perform a descaling following all of these issues made no difference unfortunately.

Since this issue, I usually let heat up for about 10 minutes before starting pre-spray at full RPM.  This van is used primarily for 1 account which has many locations but limited carpet, meaning limited pre-spray time, so usually pre spray at full RPM to assist in maintaining heat..  All while blocking off vacuum of course to assist in heating.

Will be getting it back to Interlink next week, but would feel more confident giving them some items to look at, since they seem to have no idea but to de-throttle to below that of factory spec.

Any other thoughts on top of these?  Taking good notes here.  :)
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2010 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by John L John L wrote:

Have you descaled or bled (airpockets) your HE's?
Your dema solenoid could be stuck in dump mode so most
of your hot water is going in the wastetank.
Could be a bad thermostat. Usually caused by overheating.

Are you prespraying while your TM is running at high rpm's?
Let it idle you will save gas and the water won't stand still and overheat.
Maybe an exhaust leak somewhere then you loose heat!
yep you got it......  you are dumping water sounds like a bad solenoid...  you'll know because your fresh water tank will finish fast...  John you have hit that one right... but we both could be wrongConfused
www.mr-steamer.com
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/December/2010 at 3:57pm
does this unit have a thermostat on the front to set the water temp? If so it also will have a limit switch inside the thermostat. turn the knob up and down if it is working properly you will hear it click. If it is stuck open no heat and waterloss. If it is stuck closed overheat.
Just My opinion
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/December/2010 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by doug doug wrote:

does this unit have a thermostat on the front to set the water temp? If so it also will have a limit switch inside the thermostat. turn the knob up and down if it is working properly you will hear it click. If it is stuck open no heat and waterloss. If it is stuck closed overheat.
You got it Big smile  but can an old dude like you hear the click...LOL
www.mr-steamer.com
shawncas00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawncas00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/December/2010 at 7:29pm
Can't tell you guys how much I appreciate all the input on this problem...

Will be back at Interlink next week, and going to give them these ideas since I admit honest ignorance to servicing this machine...

Any other thoughts on top of these should the Thermostat, solenoid, etc all pan out as fine....?
Paul63 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/February/2011 at 6:44pm
Update for us Shawn?
 Post Reply Post Reply