Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Moved on & closed shop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
The Great Hardini
The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moved on & closed shop
    Posted: 04/October/2004 at 12:30pm

Many of you may or may not know that I was the inventor of the upholstery tool with the internal jet and venturi valve. This tool has been the world's safest, dryest, no brainer and fastest selling tool in all countries.

It has made many distributors a lot of money. I called it the Stealth Dry Tool and it zero's in on the job at hand and DOES NOT OVERSPRAY water and chemical all over your shoes or customers windows or floors. Makes newbies look professional.

Now this tool was "knocked-off" by a large tool manufacturer very quickly after I started showing it. I chose to swallow my pride and get on with my life. As I did not have the funds to protect my interest. They could afford better lawyers. Now the industry lost because I had three other inventions on the books that I dropped due to dirty pool or that's just life.

Now I tell this story because I see inventor Ken as a shooting gallery. Everyone taking shots at him and his ideas. His ideas may seem to be out in left field now but knowing Kens thick skin and persistence through all his existing trials and tribulations he will come up with something that won't be a laughing matter. But a serious profit to all of us. Only time will tell.

Go for it Teflon Ken.
Hang in there Teflon Ken.

Now when all is said and done Ken doesn't expect to become a millionaire as this industry has generated either none or very few. But as Ken posted he is not in it for the money.

They say if you sling enough sh** against the wall some is bound to stick, as long as it is not Teflon.

Sponsored Links

Superglide Ken View Drop Down
Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

SGK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superglide Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/October/2004 at 2:07pm

Thanks Ted.

Yes, it is not easy sometimes trying to introduce new ideas and products to as small an industry as this one. Your best ideas will get stolen by the large companies with the big marketing departments and high dollar legal help if they think they can get away with it, and the rest you sometimes have to wage a seemingly endless series of battles with your fellow peers in the industry to show them that you have what you know they need. After you have their interest on these products, they will often try and nickel and dime you into lowering your prices on them to the point where the profit is not that great. So if you are in it for the money only, you better forgetaboutit. Fortunatly, that is not the reason I make them. You really have to want to do it for a greater purpose than that. The persistance that is required to stay with it when things go wrong(they always will) must come from a strongly held conviction that you are doing the right thing and you will make life better for many when you are done.

An excellant example of this persistance that is required to stick with it through both thick and thin is Padman. Few here are aware just how long it took John Geurkink and his father to get padding accepted to the point where it is now. 30 years ago when John adopted this method of cleaning, the equipment was far less powerful and reliable than what it is today. Thru trial and error and much investment in upgraded components, the pad machines slowly got more reliable. The process took 25 years. It was only 5 years ago at the first Summerfest in Ohio that people in a large sense got to see what these machines could do. But the padders still had to stay out in the parking lot! The internet boards changed things. Using them to explain the benefits of padding to a large group of readers openned things up even more, as the OP Vs HWE debates got under way. John is an impressive debater, and combined with the demos (and pictures) that he was able to show that padding could compare in results to any HWE cleaned carpet and sometimes exceed them.It has just got better after that. With increasing sales, more money became available for further R&D, and the power levels started going up, from 1/3 HP, to 1/2 , then 3/4HP to finally 1 HP. The current conquerer is the result.

But without the persistance to stay the course those first 25 years, the last 5 years of major growth would not have happened! Today things move much faster and NOBODY has 25 years or more to get the final product to market anymore. Your competitors will often beat you if you took even 3 years these days, but it does show the need to be persistant enough to stay the course. It can still take a multi year effort to introduce some ideas before they become mainstream.My turboteck air duct cleaner is an excellant example there. Introduced over 5 years ago into the US market, I have sold almost 3000 of them to mostly to carpet cleaners for use with truckmounts. But with the 30,000 TMs operating in the USA alone, it should have been more than that. What held it back? Mostly video equipment. When I started in 1999, the lowest cost camera video equipment cost $2500 US to buy. Today I sell a system that retails for only $499US! With the price of my rotary airduct cleaning system costing less now than it did 5 years ago, cleaners are buying our video equipped systems for only $1499 these days. Not surprisingly, sales are on the increase once again as a result.This would not have been possible without the vision to see that costs would come down, and sales would go up. After all, what cleaner is not going to invest in a system that bring in an extra $25,000 to $75,000 per year working part-time that only costs $1500 or less to get into, and make $150/hr for their time? Thats what I thought.

Edited by Superglide Ken
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.
 Post Reply Post Reply