Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Safety / MSD sheets part 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Darling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Safety / MSD sheets part 2
    Posted: 24/March/2004 at 2:41pm

I was glad to see some responses on the previous thread about MSD sheets. I'm especially glad to see that people carry MSD sheets in their trucks. Everyone really needs to have them. Getting fined is certainly a bad day.

The point I wanted to raise about MSD sheets, though, was about your personal safety and how you can find out what it is you are exposed to.

The other point is that a lot of manufacturers list nothing in the hazardous section (and that is really too bad) because you do have a right to know. When you look at an MSD sheet in the hazardous section besde the chemical name you will see a CAS#. This stands for Chemical Abstract Service. There are over 100,000 synthetic chemicals today. Each one has a unique number. There is a US based organization known as the Environmental Defense League and they have set up a website known as SCORECARD. This website allows anyone to see for themselves what the known or suspected health effects are of any certain chemical. They have over 11,000 now and the list is growing.

The exact website is: www.scorecard.org/chemical-profiles/

Simply enter the CAS # of the chemical and push GO. Scroll down and you will see all of the known or suspected health effects of that particular chemical.

As you look at this information, please remember that what I said in my previous post relates to "low level long term chemical exposure. So go ahead, get out your MSD sheets and start to look. You should find it very interesting 

Jim Darling
Sponsored Links

MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/March/2004 at 3:52pm

Is there and MSDS for coffee??? for smokes???hell yet even better...for weed??? I'm sure all this stuff is killing me...I just rather not know...lol..

It's hard to believe that doing a good job is actually killing me.....ok The only thing I use from now on is..... soap and water

steamdragon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steamdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/March/2004 at 4:40pm
what kind of soap?
Steamdragon the hotter the better.
nightrider. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightrider. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/March/2004 at 4:42pm
Yeah steamer what kind of soap???
Jim Darling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Darling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/March/2004 at 4:56pm

To put this in perspective - if you go a supplier like Kleen Kuip and purchase a product like Bleach then they must supply you with a proper MSD sheet etc.

There are some issues that must be applied and followed when you ship or transport bleach.

Now you go to your favorite grocery store, walk down the cleaning isle and you can pick up bleach as well as ammonia. Did you know that 70 people a year die in North America from mixing bleach and ammonia.

I know that sometimes these BB can be fun but i do beleive this is a serious issue.

One of the easiest things anyone in this business can do is to stop using sray bottles for their spotters. Use bottles that control the flow in a more solid stream. This will help minimize atomization and the stuff you breathe in.

Jim Darling
PadMan View Drop Down
Dr. Low Moisture
Dr. Low Moisture

http://ccsop.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PadMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/March/2004 at 4:55pm
We have made it a policy to ship a MSDS sheet with EVERY case of product we sell.
Converting HWE customer to VLM customers for 30 Years!
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/March/2004 at 7:43pm
I think you should get the sheets with purchase. you shouldn't have to ask for them.  It should be stuck to the product
greg View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/March/2004 at 8:41pm
i think we should all be forced to take a safety course, for our own good.
nothing is impossable. it just hasn't been done yet.
LilNiteRidrhood View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilNiteRidrhood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/March/2004 at 10:37pm

The law in this country states that any employee or employer should ensure that an employee or agent who handles hazardous materials should be WHMIS trained.

That basically means that all carpet cleaners should have a working knowledge of WHMIS.

Post Reply Post Reply