Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

skills

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrclean_47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: skills
    Posted: 30/March/2004 at 6:27pm

where did you learn your cleaning skills,did you have a mentor or old guy like me to show you what and how to do things,or are you like me, self taught and still learning something everyday even after all these years.lets open the discussion and get some insight to our profession

Sponsored Links

Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2004 at 7:39pm

Most of my knowledge in this cleaning industry came from getting advise from an old magician.  

I find it interesting that in this industry we do not have many, if at all, young people thinking that they will want to start their career in the cleaning industry when they leave school. Most of us fell into this Carpet cleaning world.

I believe we were taught when we were young to clean was a punishment. Like when your  mother said your in trouble now go clean your room or rake the lawn etc.

Have pride in what you do, every day working will be so much easier.

steamdragon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steamdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2004 at 9:18pm

True ,true,

how many of us here, aspired to become carpet cleaners when we were younger? 

It does take a creative mind though to build a business around something that we were all conditioned to think is punishement.

good point

Steamdragon the hotter the better.
LilNiteRidrhood View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilNiteRidrhood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2004 at 10:17pm

I learned how to clean a carpet with a friend of mine at a time in my life that I absolutely had to get a job.

We used a Premier rotary with a centaur dry vac and we cleaned shag and the new third generation nylon.

Used things like the white of an egg to take out old coffee stains, milk to take out ink and hairsray for make up. We have come a long way.

Steaminpile View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2004 at 1:34am

I learned from a multi truck operation.

then I learned more from a smaller certified firm.

then more from the IICRC

more still from the internet boards like this one and from fellow cleaners.

Stanley View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2004 at 9:11am
I first started as a night cleaner in a hotel....I did the rooms and furniture with a 500 psi portable, really didn't have a clue they said do so I did.  Then I was taught by steamdragon the true master on his Steamway truck mount, he showed me all the do's and don'ts.  Then I took IICRC classes and I haven't looked back.  I eat sleep and breath carpet cleaning
People & Standards You Can Trust
Cd-Ron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cd-Ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2004 at 10:21am

I worked for a big outfit in Calgary, trained to be a furnace and duct cleaner. First job they sent me to was a carpet cleaning job. (Vaccant appartment). I learned mostly on my own with constant advise if I had any questions. That was about 5 years ago. Took a break from Carpet cleaning for two years and got back into it last year here in Nanaimo/Ladysmith B.C. to supplement my heating carreer.

Anyways, I FINALLY got into an IICRC course in Victoria last December and passed it with a score of 91%

So now I can say I know what I'm doing, but also, I'm certified as well.

Take Care

-Ron H.

Post Reply Post Reply