Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

In-home vs Phone Estimates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In-home vs Phone Estimates
    Posted: 03/April/2004 at 10:15pm

There are many reasons that I'm a big fan of the in-home estimate...

I find when you do an in-home estimate...you can tell the customer to prepare the House to suit you needs...for example to Vacuum and to move furniture and breakables out. Have the driveway cleared for when you get there... address any concerns before the cleaning even happens...you can give them a proper price cause you can actually see what needs to be done...so there are no surprises for you or them.  they actually get to meet the cleaner all positives....

When you have a girl answering the phone unless she trained properly...too much is left to chance...phone conversations are usually very short and not enough detail is given by the customer or not enough questions are asked by the operator.  They forget to tell them to move and vac...they forget to asked them color of fabric.  When you get there everyone is surprised you and the customer

I'm I the only one that feels this way??

what do you do?

People & Standards You Can Trust
Sponsored Links

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/April/2004 at 4:19pm

Some phone calls are just that.  How much to clean a rug??  Price caller not interested in what or how you clean just how cheap.  They are price shoppers,  they are going to call till someone pays them to clean their carpet or they get sucked in by one of the national names.  If I cannot get a name than don,t waste my time. If they are serious they will tell you who is calling.  If it is out of my area I will wrok with them regarding a price. You can only drive so far for an estimate.  I start off by telling them what my minimum charge is if that is too much good bye.  Every body on the phone their living room is only 8 X 10  they know it is 12 X 20 but they can say the person told me ont the phine around $ 50.00.  We measure first tell them the actual size and price before cleaning.  We have drove off and left people with all the furniture on their forn lawn because they they kept saying $50.00.  At that point I am only out my gas.  These people can't complain we overcharged them either. 

nightrider View Drop Down
Marketing Master
Marketing Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/April/2004 at 4:32pm
Way to go Doug, I've done that exact same thing on at least 5 ocassions since 1985. The worst thing is that most of these people have the money to pay. This brings me to one of my past posts indicating there should be a price fix among all carpet cleaners just like plumbers, electricians, roofers, brick-layers , and the like. We are constantly being played for the fool. In the eyes of the customer we are " The stupid carpet cleaners that works for nothing " Ever hear everyone complain about electricians, and plumbers? YES THEY DO, ALL THE TIME, INCLUDING ME, BUT I PAY, THEY PAY, WE ALL PAY............WHY.......BECAUSE THEY REGULATED THE PRICE AMONG THEMSELVES............AND THEY ARE ALL VERY VERY HAPPY...........NO CUT-THROATS IN THAT BUSINESS
Steaminpile View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/April/2004 at 9:26pm

Yeah,plumbers,electricians and such NEVER actually bid jobs with different prices.

Give me a break.

the electrical company that is getting all the BIG jobs in town are lowballing everyone else.

I do the odd in home estimate and yes I like to but when it's busy season I just do not have the time to be running around town giving estimates for jobs I MIGHT get.

For an owner operator I think it's a hard thing to do.

Most of my work comes from referral so they don't even care how much.

Biggest majority of my work is commercial and empty's.

Edited by Steaminpile
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/April/2004 at 10:04pm

I am really impressed at how seccessful everyone is.

1) They don't give estimates

2) They don't advertise

3) Everything is referral

4) Price guess what?  No boby cares how much.

5) Commerical? I haven't done one lately and got a blank cheque.

6) Empty? Skys the limit. Who's the management co. Everyone wants to work for them.

I have a question.  Why the hell are you not retired? Or are you working on your second million.  Estimates are a part of life.  How many prices do you get when you buy a new car, new couch, new tv or get work done?  When you don't do estimates you sometimes run of work. Than What?

nightrider View Drop Down
Marketing Master
Marketing Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/April/2004 at 12:29am

Doug is 200 % right on the money........I thought I was going nuts all alone here, actually bidding on jobs, kissing corporate ass ( But I won't kiss your ass Doug, so don't ask me again) leaving estimates, some with basement bargain prices just to get in the door to offer other services, I'm on the phone wearing out my fingers alsmost begging them just to let me help them to save money. Am I doing this all in vain.

All of you on here, talk like you're General Motors, or The Sony Corporation.......as far as I and Doug can see you are all a bunch of clowns living somewhere with Peter Pan in fairy tale land. I bet not one of you can go into your pocket and pull out $100.00 or write me a valid checque for $300.00

NIGHTRIDER

Steaminpile View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/April/2004 at 3:40am

What is the big deal??

You think you have to go to the customers home to do an estimate to get the job???

Why??Do you purchase the proper spotters ONLY when you know you're going to come across a certain stain on Tues. morning.

Ever think that in different cities and provinces things are a little different?

I live in a smaller city,lived here all my life.I know alot of people here and there is probably less REAL competition than in larger cities.

Don't recall saying I do not do ANY advertising.

I DO recall stating in a previous thread that I'm NOT the highest priced cleaner in town.

and like I said,I do alot of commercial work and YES  I must go do an estimate for commercial jobs.

I also do half a dozen apartment complexes which according to many I can't make money at.Funny thing is I can finish off an apartment in less than an hour and receive just under $100 for one.

Do alot of empty houses for realtors.

Met alot of property managers last year,mostly through the yellow pages.

Most referred customers KNOW that I'm not going to hit them with a ridiculous bill at the end of the job.

Did I say I don't do estimates??

No,but I prefer to do it over the phone.

As far as price shoppers go,I think we'll always have to deal with them.Best to get it over and done with over the phone don't you think?

and yes I always get the odd customer that wants to haggle with price.I just stand my ground,if they don't call again cuz they think it was too much so be it.

Maybe my goals aren't high enough but if I bring in 3-500 bucks a day 5 or 6 days a week I'm a happy guy.

But nightrider and doug know everything,so maybe I'll just quit posting cuz it's just BS unless what I say is exactly how these guys do things

Edited by Steaminpile
Stanley View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/April/2004 at 8:32am

Steaminpile....  If thats what you say you do...it's what you do....Don't listen to these guys...

This man has no reason to lie.....for some people referrals are a way of life...they give out referral cards...people like the work they do so they tell others....

The topic is In-home vs Phone Estimates lets hear what you like better.....not what you don't like about the other guys post....

Lets work together so we can see all sides of the industry

People & Standards You Can Trust
Cd-Ron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cd-Ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/April/2004 at 11:06am

Dude, while I am an IICRC certified carpet cleaner, I am also a heating contractor here in southern B.C. on the island and I can tell you that you are very incorrect. There is plenty of cut throat in our industires. There are always bidding wars per say. I mean at the wholesalers we all get along fine but when it comes to bidding on the same job watch out. What it comes down to is who knows what they are doing ON the job.

Also, while most heating companies charge $60 + an hour, I charge 54.95. I have low overhead whereas someone else that charges more has high overhead.

A lot of what I'm saying could be applied to the cleaning industry as well. Here is something to ask yourself, do you really want those customers that want the cheapest outfit? If you are a good cleaner, like me  I focus on the mid to high class incomes with nice homes because unless you screw up big time, these people won't have a problem paying your bill and they will likely phone you back. FACT!

ONE other thing to note, those cleaners that charge rock bottom prices are for one lousy cleaner likely uncertified and also completely rely on upsales. Hell, I've heard that if you want your rugs shampoed the cleaning agen is charged extra, as is the prespray. How clean are you going to get the carpets without the cleaning agents? So in the end the homeowner, likely renter has probably payed more and got a crappy job from an uncertified cleaner.

Just my Two cents.

Take Care

Ron H.

Originally posted by nightrider nightrider wrote:

Way to go Doug, I've done that exact same thing on at least 5 ocassions since 1985. The worst thing is that most of these people have the money to pay. This brings me to one of my past posts indicating there should be a price fix among all carpet cleaners just like plumbers, electricians, roofers, brick-layers , and the like. We are constantly being played for the fool. In the eyes of the customer we are " The stupid carpet cleaners that works for nothing " Ever hear everyone complain about electricians, and plumbers? YES THEY DO, ALL THE TIME, INCLUDING ME, BUT I PAY, THEY PAY, WE ALL PAY............WHY.......BECAUSE THEY REGULATED THE PRICE AMONG THEMSELVES............AND THEY ARE ALL VERY VERY HAPPY...........NO CUT-THROATS IN THAT BUSINESS

Post Reply Post Reply