Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

carpet research!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote researcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: carpet research!
    Posted: 23/February/2004 at 11:00am
Hello! I'm doing a market research project on carpet products and I'm looking for some help! I would love to hear about any new trends in carpet cleaning. Can you help me? I'm looking for any information on products which change or improve carpets. ie- "mowing" shag carpets, changing colors, temporary dyes etc... How about new cleaning products? How good is that teflon protector? How important are things like anti-allergens etc...??? Hope to hear from you soon!
Sponsored Links

LeeS. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/February/2004 at 10:25pm

Well try one question at a time buddy.

I use all the products and believe the trends will be towards new cleaning chemistry. Its right around the corner, we have no choice.

researcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote researcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/February/2004 at 8:34am
This is it? No one else has anything to say about where you think your industry is going? Are home-care carpet cleaning products getting so good that you guys are going to eventually not be needed anymore?
Steaminpile View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/February/2004 at 11:21am

This is a fairly new board with not alot of traffic.

Most grocery store type home carpet care products are garbage and need a professional to be removed.

I think we're going to start to use more environmentally friendly products in the future as well.(I already do)

Encapsulation is getting to be a big thing in the U.S.

Mr.Mike View Drop Down
Resident Stooge
Resident Stooge

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/February/2004 at 2:17pm

Originally posted by researcher researcher wrote:

Are home-care carpet cleaning products getting so good that you guys are going to eventually not be needed anymore?

That will certainly be the day.

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/February/2004 at 2:43pm

If carpet cleaners are not more careful they may become a thing of the past.  The homeowners are confused very confused.  You have the bait and switch people Sears & the Bay etc.  You have room cleaners.  You have dry, bonnett powder and the biggest problem the steam cleaner.  why you ask?? because you can rent one and steam cleaners are missing the boat by not doing a much better job than the DIY people.  When you are too cheap to get educated, you leave things wet, you think you have the best system and cut the others down even though you don't know anything about their  results or proceedures.  I do not steam clean I use hot water extraction and as I have indicated earlier you are not a steam cleaner, or maybe you are if you want to be.  If you cannot justify your existance to your client than you should be doing something else like phone solitation.  Bacause if you are cheap enough everyone who is also cheap and only hiring you because you are cheaper than a rental DIY.

researcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote researcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/February/2004 at 2:52pm
So what is the difference between the spot removers and steam cleaners that consumers can buy off the shelf, and the products that you use? P&G could easily decide to put their pro-line into stores for general use, for example... wouldn't that be a bit of an equaliser? Obviously you have a lot more skill and experience in dealing with high traffic and serious stains, but people actually OWN their own steam cleaners now- surely that means that they won't hire a pro to come in as often as they might have 10 years ago?
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/February/2004 at 5:10pm
The cost is one reason.  Most cleaners sold with rental usually have to pass good house keeping and be kind og a general cleaner.  If stronger products were put on the market even with instruction and waviers the manufacture could be held liable when susie home maker screws up and destroys her carpet.  I have been involved with insurance claims where people overwet thrie carpets to the point of destroying them.  That usually manages to be covered.  But if she bleached or discolored because of the color that would be different the manufacturer and maybe the store would be involved then.  Being a Senior Carpet Inspector for quite few years I have been invovolved in such cases.
LeeS. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/February/2004 at 11:12pm

Mr Researcher,

The machines at the store put out the cleaning solution at 32-55PSI.

Our weakest portable machine starts at 100PSI, the weakest.

The amount of suction the machines have are dependent on the waterlift and CFM  of the machine. The vacs in the DIY machines are dinky toys even next to the weakest machines of a pro again. Compound this with the havoc that is raised by the foam from the chemicals that are sold by the equipment rental facility. Why is it that all DIYers must buy defoamer?? Its so the machine won't bog down or get ruined , thats why.

Now to the chemicals, what kind of soiling do you have on the carpet??

We carry different solutions for different fiber types and soilings.

You try to simplify this issue to a point where you sound silly.

Let me ask you sir, do you wash your wool sweater, rayon dress shirt , nylon jacket, blue jeans and white cotton T-shirt all the same way?

Well this is what you are suggesting by the DIYers being able to do an adequate job without a certain amount of knowledge and experience.

Mr.Mike View Drop Down
Resident Stooge
Resident Stooge

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/March/2004 at 11:35am
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/March/2004 at 11:59am
I would agree with Lee if we were talking fabrics.  But were not we are talking about carpets.  Is everyone doing a fiber ID test before cleaning carpets?  Why do some companies want more to clean berbers?  Stain resist?  When the actual technician's only knowlegge is how to operate the machine.  If I was to take all Lee's advice I would have my carpets dry cleaned and take no chances.  No offence Lee.  Do you clean your nylon carpet with the same solutions as olifen?  What if they are a blend?  What if they are solution dyed does this make a difference?
LeeS. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/March/2004 at 10:25pm

Doug I clean by truckmount, portable, rotary scrubber, bonnet, oscillating pad, dry compound, encapsulation, foam clean and have at least 10 different presprays.

Luckily I don't clean much broadloom these days, mostly area rugs.

MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2004 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by doug doug wrote:

You have the bait and switch people Sears & the Bay etc. 

HEY HEY WAIT JUST ONE MINUTE!!!!!!

What bait and switch are you talking about...choose your words carefully before you use them.  We are all here to make money.

Stanley View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2004 at 12:33am
Originally posted by MR. STEAMER MR. STEAMER wrote:

Originally posted by doug doug wrote:

You have the bait and switch people Sears & the Bay etc. 

HEY HEY WAIT JUST ONE MINUTE!!!!!!

What bait and switch are you talking about...choose your words carefully before you use them.  We are all here to make money.

This was the post that started it all....and because doug had the IICRC avatar I attacked him and the IICRC.  I was upset how could he say such a thing.

People & Standards You Can Trust
 Post Reply Post Reply