Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

How to Choose a Wand?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/February/2004 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Steaminpile Steaminpile wrote:

Nice wands

Don't like 4 jets AT ALL

if there's more than 2

there's too many

I'm just guessing, but is there a particular reason why you prefer less jets.  Are you using a portable?  If so, then that makes perfect sense.  If your machine or truck mount can't handle more jets or a wider wand then you probably shouldn't use them.  IMHO if you need to make more than 2 dry passes a total of 4 strokes 2-forward and 2-back then your machine can't handle the extraction of all that water.  In this case you should stick with fewer jets. 

On the other hand if you have a high performance rig then you should by all means use what it will handle because this means less work for you. 

I use a high end Butler truck-mount and I still use a 10'' 4-jet wand(14" 6-jet on short commercial carpet).  The narrower the wand and the more jets you have with a larger machine will always clean better than using a wider wand with the same amount of jets(a little more time but a better end result).  But your machine better be able to handle the extraction of all that water otherwise you'll have to make multiple dry passes because nobody likes going back to remove otherwise preventable browning problems. 

Sponsored Links

Steaminpile View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/February/2004 at 5:45pm

I run a Cleanco

the only problem I TRULY have with multiple jets is that they tend to plug up,which really, I shouldn't worry about cuz all I would have to do is add an inline filter to solve that problem.

Currently using a factory Cleanco wand that came with the machine.

I've used a Prochem 4 jet wand working for someone else and it was heavier but a far nicer wand.

I am actually looking for a good 2" tube wand,instead of the 1 1/2 little wand I'm using now,maybe even run 2" hose all the way to better utilize all that suction.

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/February/2004 at 8:01pm
I found many years ago using 1.5" hose and a 1.5" wand increased my drying times regardless of the size of the blower it restricts the  volume of air flow.  You may think you have more power but it is you blower tring to breath threw your vacuum relief.
Ryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/February/2004 at 8:49pm

Originally posted by doug doug wrote:

I found many years ago using 1.5" hose and a 1.5" wand increased my drying times regardless of the size of the blower it restricts the  volume of air flow.  You may think you have more power but it is you blower tring to breath threw your vacuum relief.

Good point. I've never used 1.5" hose on any truck-mount yet.  Maybe that's why I've rarely had a problem with dry times.  Thanks for bringing that up. 

Edited by Ryan
carpetologist View Drop Down
The Great Hardini
The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/March/2004 at 2:58pm

Maybe I am the wrong person to ask about redesigning wand & hand tools as I am the inventor of the Dryer Type Stealth Tool that works on the principal of a venturi. The cleaning solution sprays through the vacuum chamber. There just isn’t a dryer and safer tool to clean furniture with.

Since the inception of this type of safer tool, dry cleaning upholstery with solvents has almost become a thing of the past. I needed at the time an extra $75.00 built into the selling price to cover getting it to market. (Advertising, Travel, Research & Development, etc.). Once others saw my effective but simple design it was quickly “knocked off” at a much lower price. And our industry is not large enough to patent less expensive items.

The unfortunate aspect for both an inventor and his industry is for someone knocking off his invention makes both the inventor and his industry suffer. If someone has the ability to create a better mousetrap, stick with him, allow him to keep his juices flowing for even better mousetraps.

Although I have been challenged on my theory. As one person claimed that if it was not for stealing ideas and knocking off items we would all be driving Model T Fords. Any way I took the sour route after my neat little invention was copied and sold it for less than I could afford to sell it. At that time I had Dry Type wands on my inventor list and ready for production. But I decided to turn my inventor talents to another industry.

So here comes my specs on Dry and better wands that I never manufactured. And it’s all free. You see it first on the Kleen Kuip site.

A – Aluminum or titanium structure then teflon dipped for ease of wiping clean & weight factor. (Have you ever looked at how dirty most wands look?) Carpet cleaners don’t believe in wiping or vacuuming. I guess it’s a woman thing.

B – Rounded snap on Teflon Guides on the bottom for ease of your body parts. If you have pushed a wand for 20 years you know what I mean. How’s your shoulder?

C – A small bristle brush installed on the left side of the wand allowing you to turn the wand 45º to manually scrub.

D – Telescopic adjustable shank to allow a shorter or taller person some back comfort. This design could also double as a 40” stair tool.

E – A swivel head that would turn 190º to allow cleaning under beds and tight areas etc.

F – Choices of multiple water jets that you could quick change the orfis spray on the job with a hand twist as opposed to requiring wrenches. As an example a wool carpet should get less water than a synthetic. A doctor does not always use the same knife.

G – The jets should be in an enclosed chamber to eliminate damaging overspray and heat loss. To go one further the jets should be in the center of two vacuum slots before and after the water spray making it idiot proof for water pick up.

H – A solution control valve that would have a feather touch and not put ridges in your fingers by holding it down for long periods of time. Possible a thumb button that one touch turns it on and one would turn it off.

I – The availability of a trickle water spray into the vacuum tube when needed to allow your machine to be used as a dry vacuum cleaner. For those who still believe in pre-vacuuming.

I’m not an engineer only a carpet cleaner who can’t sleep nights for thinking of a better way. But look at the tv ads on Bissell and Hoover who incidentally sell hundreds of thousands of these carpet cleaning products. It intrigues me how they show Tornado Wind Tunnel swirling and cylindrical suction chambers. There is something about suction through better aerodynamics that our industry is missing.

Now that I have suggested the near perfect wand, marketing will tell you that the price you should have to charge would shrink your sales market by 80%. As 80% of our industry are blinded by price alone.

Now that we have talked about a better way let me say that at my age, knowledge and dedication to quality. I personally would not use any wand regardless. Let me introduce or reintroduce you to Rotary Dry Extraction. An RX-20 or a Rotovac. The smarter way!

P.S.
It’s also more satisfying and more profitable long term.

Thanks for listening,
The Carpetologist

LeeS. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/March/2004 at 10:15pm
From now on I am calling you Dr. Carpetologist Ph D
Stevety44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevety44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2004 at 8:57pm

hello Christian,

Yes, when I look for a wand, I like the light weight, but I also like the "soft opening" valve feature of those DURA-KLEEN wands.  This makes my hands less tired at the end of the day, and no more pinched fingers when using high pressure.

Thanks Steve 

QUALITY THRU ENGINEERED PRODUCTS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12