Forum Description: General discussion on anything related to carpet cleaning
URL: https://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3112
Printed Date: 09/May/2024 at 12:41am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 10,000 th post better make it good
Posted By: MR. STEAMER
Subject: 10,000 th post better make it good
Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 6:53pm
I'm mailing out a 20% coupon to all the customers that have used my service since March 2005.  Thats just over 1200 customers.

I was wondering if anyone has had success with this...people read mail that is directly addressed to them.  I hope it worksConfused

Replies:
Posted By: Hammy
Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 7:30pm

Great idea Steamer, just make sure you have a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th......................etc  opinion from outside sources befor you mail it out. People like coupons addressed to them. Nice job on the 10,000 th post. Thumbs UpThumbs Up

-------------
Could somebody just clean my carpets!

Posted By: jtuseo
Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 7:39pm
Steamer you are going to get a good response. I would mail them out now and mail them out again before Christmas Dec. 4th would be a good date. That is when I am mailing out my next mailer. You will probally see 5%-10% return.

John

-------------
WWW.PREFERREDCARPETCLEANING.COM

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 7:41pm
Oh one last thing. You do not have to give them a 20% off coupon. On the postcard give them free deodorizer. Its better for you. They will want you to always give them that 20% off in the future. Cya!! Cover your Ass!Butt Shake

-------------

Posted By: Superglide Ken
Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 7:48pm
MR. STEAMER] I'm mailing out a 20% coupon to all the customers that have used my service since March 2005.  Thats just over 1200 customers.

I was wondering if anyone has had success with this...people read mail that is directly addressed to them.  I hope it works

I disagree about that being a good idea. You are offering a 20% discount for a service that you don't charge enough for already? That has the direct effect of cutting your profit in half after expenses are taken into consideration. Been there and done that.

A much better approach is to offer a larger discount on a product with a higher margin that you might not normally sell, like Scotchgard for example. Say you offer 50% off during April. You have 80% margin on this product, so if you reduce the price by 50% you still make 30%.

Say you do 100 cleaning jobs a month. Say that 50 of them take the gard. Regular price for 500 sq ft @20/ft is worth $100, but you only get $50 on the promo.The gard costs you $20/job, so you still make $30 . $30/job X 50 jobs gives you a $1500 profit on the gard that month.

Now say instead you pick the 20% off instead. You do 100 jobs at a discount. Your job average is $150 per house. Normally you get $15,000, but you just gave 20% of that away or $3000. Not only are your profits down $3000 on the cleaning, but you never made the $1500 on the gard either, so you are out $4500 for the month.

So who is smart now Mr Steamer?

-------------
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 8:05pm
If Steamer didn't mail out anything what do you think his sales would be. If he gains $15,000 less the 20% or $3000 he is still up $12,000. It's a promotion, Steamer will just have to upsell to make up for it. 20% off can be manipulated any you want, you just have to be creative.Big smile 

-------------

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 8:12pm
He has too many customers for that to happen, Hammy. Steamer has alot of expenses. If he did $12,000 in sales, he would not make more than $6000 of that.Doing it the way I suggest he could make $17,500 in total and put $10,000 in his pocket. That is how it worked for me about 10 years back. I have done it both ways. Both work, but one way gives you more money, and does not set you up with a bunch of customers looking for 20% far into the future. Something to think about.

-------------
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 8:39pm
we still don't know what the 20% off is for. Lets have Steamer answer the question before giving him all the advice.Big smile Kenny if you read my first post you would know what I said about getting different opinions.Confused

-------------

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 8:51pm
20% off all cleaning.....Only to customers that have used us before....I still rand 100 thou direct mail flyers as well..

it's a thank you for using my service...they have until jan 31

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 9:01pm
I read it, but I have had enough experience with this issue to know the way I would play it, but you have to understand what market you are in. For 16 years I trained my customers to only buy when there was a sale on. I was busy as hell making very little money because of it.For many of the warm months I was working 150 jobs per month pulling in $10,000 or more a month as Calgary's lowest priced Cleaner($49 for 5 rooms). My customers loved it. I had NO social life cause I was worn out when I was not working.

By 1998, I got smarter. I fired most of my customers and raised my prices 5 times till I was making $.50/sq ft by 2001 instead of the .10 I averaged in 1998. I stopped giving discounts on the cleaning, but gave sales on the gard instead. My earnings per month on my truck often went up to well over $20,000/month as a result.Because I was only cleaning 1/2 the houses as before, my expenses were less than $5000/month of that , so I was making $15,000+ per month from 1 TM. I am not saying the GTA is Calgary, so steamer might not be able to duplicate that experience there, but I know I am never going back to the sales tactic of cutting my cleaning prices. All you do is ensure that your business has little value, and you can only sell your equipment for pennies on the $ when you want to get out. That is what happens to most carpet cleaners. You ask Ted if I am right. He has seen it far to often, and believe me, it does happen to the great majority of companys. I don't want it to happen to steamer, but some guys never learn, so ignore my advice if you want. Your risk, your reward.

-------------

Posted By: LilNiteRidrhood
Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 9:10pm
I would make the offer in Jan and Feb when you need the calls.

Posted By: dennis_is_ok
Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 9:12pm
steamer must get a nice x-mas gift from Canada Post every year.

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 9:12pm

a 20% roll back is only $5 off per room..... I charge $25 per room...I'm no where near 5 rooms for $49...

I had a few pit falls this year...with my unexpected number change....and the lack of monthly direct mail...I'm finding this november slower than ever.  I got 2 truck sitting here ready to go.

20% gets them off the pot.....and more business is better than no business

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by dennis_is_ok dennis_is_ok wrote:

steamer must get a nice x-mas gift from Canada Post every year.
It's only 1200 lettersLOL  I only paid 1.8 cents for the bonuspak mailout on the 100 thousand

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 9:16pm
Ther are many very succesful carpet cleaning companies that offer specials off ther regular cleaning prices. Kenny you are comparing your rock bottom prices to average prices. Apples to orangesBig smile

-------------

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by LilNiteRidrhood LilNiteRidrhood wrote:

I would make the offer in Jan and Feb when you need the calls.
50% off won't make people clean in Jan Feb...lol  Thats when I start looking for commercial work....

I always tell people it dries better in the winter...but most don't like the door open...I need a door shield

Posted By: doug
Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 9:21pm
I'am just a good deal anytime of the year? That's because I'am special??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 9:21pm
I think before Christmass is a great idea, One of the busy times of the year for cleaning. Cleaning in Jan @ Feb sucks!

-------------

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 9:23pm
Keep going Steamer you will get to 11,000 by tonite?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 9:24pm
you can forget about free Deo or cheap gard... that doesn't get things popping.  I have never offer a discount off my cleaning...I don't believe in it. I hate to do it....but it makes the phone ring...

I can't charge anymore

sears $28 dollars a room
service master $25
canadian steam has misleading advertising
the bay is all over the place...
cleanol is going out of business
no-names  10to$15 a room

I charge well enough for my area aint nothing I can do...until I get bigger..lol

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Hammy Hammy wrote:

I think before Christmass is a great idea, One of the busy times of the year for cleaning. Cleaning in Jan @ Feb sucks!
Time is running out as we type to get in on the christmas specilas. they should have already been sent?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 9:25pm
Take a vacation in the cold months like Doug. Florida is warm?

-------------

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 9:26pm
[

I charge well enough for my area aint nothing I can do...until I get bigger..lol
[/QUOTE]
Than starting eating more?? Or raise your prices like SGK to a buck a square and then you will only have to do one driveby a day?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 9:27pm
yes I agree......need to get them out tonite times a tickin

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 9:28pm
I have a customer list...so why not use it

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 9:34pm
It would be better if you had someone elses customer list??

-------------
Just My opinion

Posted By: dennis_is_ok
Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 10:57pm
yah hack into fresh-n-clean computer system :)

Posted By: nightrider
Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 11:15pm
NO COMMENT.............NOBODY LISTENS ANYWAY..........................YOU ARE ALL SHOOTING INTO THE DARK EXPECTING A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE..............MARKETING IS A VERY COMPLEX SCIENCE OF CONSUMER BUYING HABITS AND KEY WORDS THAT MAKE THEM REACT........

NIGHTRIDER

Posted By: cmaster
Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 11:21pm
Key words like

FREE.....and SEX is good too

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 12:05am
..YOU ARE ALL SHOOTING INTO THE DARK EXPECTING A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE..............

Isn't that what Doug does when he is in his bush?

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 12:30am
Were you watching?

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 12:43am
No, but wasn't it you that told me what was going on there?

-------------

Posted By: nightrider
Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 1:26am

DOUG IS A DIFFERENT STORY........HIS FRIENDS ARE ALL TREES............AND WHEN HE TALKS TO THEM THEY JUST LEAVE LOL.........GET IT LEAVE.LOL....YOU KNOW LEAVES ON A TREE LOL......GET IT...........GET IT........OHHHHH......I'M TOO FUNNY Big smile

NIGHTRIDER 

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 8:26am
Well, I guess it makes senses then why Doug spends so much time in a bush then Jack, doesn't it? After all, a bush is just a small tree. lol

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 8:38am
sorry NR I will not do free cleaning and sell gard...NO WAY! work or not work...

sorry NR I will not get involved with charities...and people donate what they feel for cleaning...

NR you have some wild ideas...but I'll stay in the dark

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 8:47am
NR you have some wild ideas...but I'll stay in the dark

So , now you are keeping us in the dark, eh Steamer? Do you have the magic handshake or something that gets info sent from NR just for you? lol

-------------

Posted By: carpetologist
Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 1:50pm
Steamer,

Congratulations on the big 10,000th post!

You don't give yourself enough credit. In-between the BS and innuendos you have spouted much solid info and give us much food for thought. We thank you for that and look forward to the future.

P.S.
Definition of innuendo is an Italian rectal thermometer.

-------------
Kleen Kuip Supply Mart Inc.

http://www.kleenkuip.com - New & Used Professional Carpet Cleaning Machines, Restoration Equipment, Training, Service and Supplies

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 2:47pm
Ted, I do believe that Steamer would have gladly paid the price of getting the shaft to reach that 10,000 post milestone.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 2:53pm
It's taking a lot of typing and a lot of BULL to get here....LOL thanks Ted Only 1 year after Douguy

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 3:20pm
Steamer you were the first to reach a 1000. Just another milestone in your dynamic career?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 3:59pm
Oh come on Doug! You know you are Steamer's hero?

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 4:26pm
When did I fall so far behind?????6000 more post to go...LOL

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 4:31pm
That should keep you busy

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 4:32pm
NAW CHANGING THE O-RINGS on the wands and hand tools should...lol

I noticed a little drip

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 4:40pm
Those drips can be a real piss off.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 4:45pm
you know it.......drip drip all over the hard wood

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 4:48pm
Have you ever carried a mop on the truck. Sponge mops work great for that. Better than getting on all fours and wipping it up.Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 5:08pm
If you had a glide on your wand, you could vac it up wihout scratching the hardwood

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 5:10pm
I was pre glidesBig smile

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 5:23pm
maybe I should get a glide??? a greenglide??? or is kenny still in business???

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 5:53pm
Maybe you should get a Greenglide. I hear they are really good

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 7:10pm
Hugh Sinclair sell Greenglides?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 7:38pm
Probably

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 8:15pm
I know he does?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 8:47pm
I need a new wand

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by doug doug wrote:

I know he does?

What does he charge for them Doug? I know it is more than I charge , but curious how much more?

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 9:28pm
Push it ,push it, hard and deep.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 9:36pm
Keep stroking.

-------------

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 7:51pm
That's all he ever does!Big smile Rock it!

-------------

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Superglide Ken Superglide Ken wrote:

Originally posted by doug doug wrote:

I know he does?

What does he charge for them Doug? I know it is more than I charge , but curious how much more?

No idea?

-------------
Just My opinion

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net