Forum Description: General discussion on anything related to carpet cleaning
URL: https://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3118
Printed Date: 17/April/2024 at 10:52pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Kenny's Corner- Questions about Equipment
Posted By: Superglide Ken
Subject: Kenny's Corner- Questions about Equipment
Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 4:12pm
    By request, I thought I would set up this thread where people can get answers to any technical problem they are having with their equipment.Or how it operates and what if anything can be done to make it run better. Many of the posts that I will be putting up will cover some of these areas, but if you cant find it, ask here. I will check this thread daily, and give you the best answer I can if it is not covered elsewhere.Dumbass questions will be ignored so that I can give serious replies that will benefit the greatest number of readers here.Dumbass's; you know who you are.

Ask away.

Replies:
Posted By: Hammy
Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 4:20pm
I have a question Kenny; How do the get the caramilk inside the chocolate??Confused

-------------
Could somebody just clean my carpets!

Posted By: jtuseo
Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 4:22pm
Ken I will start off this new thread with a question. You have 2 years to start a Carpet Cleaning business. You have all of the needed equiptment already. How would YOU do it?

Thanks

Jtuseo

-------------
WWW.PREFERREDCARPETCLEANING.COM

Posted By: MR. STEAMER
Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 4:25pm
LOL if I drill a hole in the bottom part of my wand...will I get more suction without a glide?????

I would be raising the CFM

Posted By: Ninja-wand
Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 4:32pm

Ive always wondered ...How many licks does it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

-------------
I'll make you TAP OUT!!!

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by jtuseo jtuseo wrote:

Ken I will start off this new thread with a question. You have 2 years to start a Carpet Cleaning business. You have all of the needed equiptment already. How would YOU do it?

Thanks

Jtuseo

Network. Fastest way to grow accounts is to join your local Chamber of Commerce and attend regularly. When they know and trust you, they will buy. If your business is residentially based, the fastest way to grow business is to get the business of those that are "Connectors". These are people that have lots of friends and influence other buyers. Get their business and they will do your advertising for you, and it will cost you next to nothing compared to val-pack and other print adds.

-------------
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by MR. STEAMER MR. STEAMER wrote:

LOL it I drill a hole in the bottom part of my wand...will I get more suction without a glide?????

I would be raising the CFM

More cfms, but not where you want them. You would lower lift and get crappy cleaning instead. The only way to get improved performance from more cfms, is to draw more air thru the carpet face fibers and the back. Best way to do that is still the glide, and enough vacuum lift to overcome resistance to flow at the WCI(wand/carpet Interface).

-------------
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 4:44pm
damn a type O...lol

how about a small hole.....????what does a glide to do raise the cfms????

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 5:01pm

damn a type O...lol

how about a small hole.....????what does a glide to do raise the cfms????

A glide functions as a relief valve, but where you want it; at the wand. A conventional wand on the carpet locks down to the carpet, cutting off up to 2/3 of the cfms from going into the wand. Even if the blower can pull 300 cfms, only 100 cfms might get into the wand. Because the blower is positive displacement, it MUST pull the other 200 cfms from somewhere else, or your vacuum tank will implode. So it draws it from the vacuum relief instead.2/3 rds from the relief, and only 100 from the wand. This is not good. You waste 2/3 of your gas to power a blower thatis only giving you a 1/3rd of what you are paying for.

A well designed glide changes all that. Because it's broad surface area can NOT LOCK DOWN on the carpet, your wand will now take in up to 200 or even more cfms. That means that the vacuum relief only has to 100 or less cfms now. You are getting most of the airflow you are paying for. Better cleaning and faster drying are yours with 200 cfm or more coming into the wand.Some of my glides flow so much air(250+cfms), that some people tell me the vacuum relief hardly ever opens anymore while they clean. That means nearly ALL cfms go in thru the wand now. exactly what you want to happen. You are paying for the blower to develop the cfms. It only makes sense not to waste them.

-------------

Posted By: cmaster
Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 5:05pm
Wow. Not a dumbass comment/question in the bunch

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 5:08pm
I'm still waiting for my answerConfused

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 5:09pm
Yours was deemed to be a dumbass question. Next!

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 5:11pm
Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 5:28pm
if I drill a small whole on either side ...there is no way I'm going to loose any lift...and the cfm's will increase...

I didn't say put a hole the size of the grand canyon

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 5:37pm
Steamer why don't you try it, you might be on to something

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 5:38pm
its caramel

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 5:39pm
Oh!..........................I think your right.Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 5:51pm

if I drill a small whole on either side ...there is no way I'm going to loose any lift...and the cfm's will increase...

I've heard that works for airflow. The glide makes it easier to push/pull the wand especially on olefin.

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 5:53pm
and wreck my wand...lol..

all a glide does ...is it stops you from locking on to the carpet the the cfms stay high...

I have a wand right now with a crack on the side....I but a nut to keep the crack open....you can hear the cfm's kickin....the carpet seem really dry when I was done....didn't seem to loose any lift

so I was wondering...maybe I should drill a hole...like Ken said it stops your relief valve from opening and wasting the good cfm's...

Posted By: nightrider
Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 5:53pm

Smile

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by cmaster cmaster wrote:

I've heard that works for airflow. The glide makes it easier to push/pull the wand especially on olefin.
will it improve drying  times???

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 6:34pm
A hole or hybrid glide does improve dry times. We use mostly slot glides because they pick up more debris and we clean quite a few rentals.

Posted By: doug
Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 7:09pm
I stick with the hole?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 8:01pm
You have a hole in your glide?...........................I'd send it back LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 8:13pm
No onder it don't work it's full of holes??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 8:42pm

Steamer: You are not totally wrong. Before I came up with the glides in 2003, I used to increase airflow by drilling small holes in the wand. I published that article in 2001 on the ICS board. But it has to be done right. I will look it up and post it on this board. Then you will know what to do. It will not work as well as my glides do, BUT if you are not going to use one, then this is the next best thing.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 9:03pm
Stick it to them Kenny

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 9:16pm
Look out SGK has a new fan

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 9:31pm

High CFM wands #2- the Saturation Barrier
Posted By Ken Harris on 7/4/2002 at 12:15 AM
Today I would like to discuss why most carpets take over 6 hours to dry after HWE. Most water that is injected into a carpet comes back(85-95%)if you have a strong TM vacuum system.That leaves 5-15% still there,and that adds up to 2.5 to 7.5 gallons of water left in a typical 700 sq ft job.The less you leave in the carpet the faster the dry time.This post will tell you how to cut that residual moisture in half!

The reason that most cleaners leave about 5 gallons of water in the carpet are many, but the main reason is the poor extraction qualities of their wand.Most wands are designed to be cheap to build for the manufacturer and built to look good to the cleaner , but are not designed for the maximum cleaning performance.The width of the wand slot is usually set at 3/8" so the air entering will have enough velocity to catch the water /soil mix up and transport it out of the carpet.

The problem is the WCI on those wands only allow about 100 cfm .Many wands were developed in the days before TMs were around much.In those days ,2 lamb vacs in series would only produce 100 cfm or less ,so wand design was not a big concern.The manufacturers of TMs would just strengthen the wand to take the higher HG pressure ,but leave the design alone.The blowers used in the industry got more powerful until there was a huge gap in what the blower would produce and what could go through the WCI .Today the average machine puts out over 300 cfm, but only a 1/3 of that vacuum is useable, with the balance going out the releif valve!

Now that you know why todays machines do not dry carpet much better than the ones I used 20 years ago, what can you do about it? The amount of airflow that your wand can draw through the carpet fibers is the main stumbling block.100 cfm is not enough to recover the most water because that is only 1.66 cfs.Now if you were able to move 3.32 cfs(200CFM) then the wand would extract much more water.

After a carpet is wanded it starts the evaporation process. The carpet cools down 10 to 20 degrees below the room temp due to evaporative cooling.The cooler the air gets just above this carpet the slower it evaporates and the more humid it becomes.This slows the carpet drying down dramatically.

Now, if you could reduce the water left in the carpet below 2.5 gal per 700 sq ft,an interesting thing happens: the saturation barrier that forms over the damp carpet is much thinner and does not slow the drying process hardly at all.The water left in the carpet is only 1/2 what it was at the 5 gallon level but the carpet dries 3X quicker because the barrier does not contain enough water vapour to go to 90%RH anymore like it does with the higher water content.

Moving the CFM flow at the WCI up to 200 cfm or more is the best way to reduce the carpets water content AND cut the soil residue in half.Soil is suspended in the water,so if you leave only half the water, you leave only half the soil from that source too. Aeration of the wands rear lip is the easiest way to increase the air flow going into the wand. We like the PMF wand best to do this modification on because the plastic guide is thicker and easier to work on than cutting stell on most wands.This is a modification you can do yourself if you have a good understanding of air flow porting.If not , you can have this done for under $100 by someone who knows how.

Now that your wand breaths better and your dry times are under 2 hours, you are ready to capitalize on this by making it clean better too, but that is another story for later.

Good luck with the performance to be gained here first.

Ken Harris

-------------

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 12:14am
Here is that article I promised Steamer about how to get more cfm out of his wand without a glide. That is only a small part of the bigger picture however, but this article tells how to do it.

30 minute Dry Times- with a wand!
Posted By Ken Harris on 5/20/2002 at 4:36 PM
The time has come for me to reveal to you how you can dry most of your customer's residential carpet in about 30 minutes using your existing equipment with a small amount of modification. I'm talking about using TM equipment here to do this and most of you will be able to use what you already have to accomplish this. In some cases you may need to upgrade what you are using to get down to these times. Or you could decide to use just what you have and still get your dry times down to an hour. What I'm about to say to get to this point is the result of 20+ years of experimenting with what works best to acheive this end.If you disagree with parts of it , fine.It has all been proven to do the job though, so use what parts of it that you can.

Components of the Drying System:

1) Equipment requirements
2) Vacuum Hoses
3) Water Temperature and pressure
4) Wand Technique
5) Wand requirements
6) Wand modication
7) The use of dryers

1) Equipment requirements

For most of you you will want to have a gas or diesal powered TM with a large enough blower to move about 300 cfm of air at a lift of 15"HG or higher. You will want it equipped with a positive displacement blower to do this. A 3.6 with a 288 cfm flow should be the minimum to consider, but a larger blower like the 4MP with it's 320 cfm and 16"HG lift would be better. It should be capable of hitting about 220 degrees ATM so you end up with about 200 degrees ATW with 100 ft of solution hose attached.Direct drive or slide-in doesn't matter.

2) Vacuum hose requirements

The hose should be kept at 110 ft or less for best performance and shortest dry times.If you can use it this way 90% of the time, you are doing very good. Two fifty foot sections of 2" hose with a 10 ft whip of 1.5" works best. Some would say to use 2" all the way ,but this is neither necessary or desirable. As long as it is kept short 1.5" hose is able to handle 280 cfm of airflow, and since even with a modified wand you will not flow more than 200 cfms, it does the job. All 2" hose just makes your job harder and wears you out sooner for no good reason.

Water Temps and Pressure

The reason to use temperatures of 200 degrees are two fold. First hotter water drys faster than colder water and will evaporate faster leaving less to dry from the carpet. More importantly though you need to use less water to clean the carpet because it speeds up the cleaning action of the chemicals used.The less water used the less to extract and evaporate. In regards to pressure , 300 psi at the wand is all you need. This will mean setting your pump at 450 ATM to get it.Using more than this breaks the surface tention of the carpet back faster and saturates it. This leads to longer drying.

Wand Technique

The best one to use to stop the carpet backing from becoming overly wet is backward only when the wand is on. Some say this does not clean as well. I say to increase your over-lapping on more heavily soiled carpet and decrease on lightly soiled. You will find you water lasts longer and your waste tank takes longer to fill too. Dry stroke the carpet once or twice after that depending on soiling present initially.

Wand Requirements

Most of you should be using a 1.5" tubed wand for the most comfort.Best would be a 1.75 tubed wand that will accept either size vac hose.The wand should have 3 jets on it, preferably 3 .02's. the reason for this is to retain as much heat to the carpet as possible. The greatest heat a cleaning system loses is here.The loss is around 15 degrees /inch of travel getting to the carpet.A 3 jet may lose 30 degrees travelling 2" down ,but a single jet can lose as much as 75 degrees going the 5 or more inches it must travel.

Wand Modication

If you are ever to get your drying times down to 30 minutes, you must find a way for your wand to move more air(CFMs) when it is down on the carpet working.Most wands will not flow more than 100 cfms thru the Wand/Carpet Interface(WCI) even when the TM powering it has 320 cfm and 15"HG and is operating only 100 ft of hose. The reason is that the effective area exposed to the atmosphere there is only the equivealent of a 5/8" hole. To improve this number you have to open up more area to airflow. The way you can do this easily is to take your 12" wand and turn it over . On the inner lip(the one closer to the wand jets)mark off 22 lines with a fine tipped marker pen, one every 1/2"until they go from one side to the other.Get yourself a fine hacksaw blade and say down to a depth of 1/8".This will get you about 50 more cfms entering your wand with a drop in your drying times. For those systems that you know for sure have over 300 cfms of airflow,you could increase the number of slots up to 44 to get about 200 cfm or use a fine file to double the width of your existing slots. File the edges of your air slots smooth before using it so as to not snag any carpet yarns.

The use of dryers

These should still be used with this system to get the fastest drying times. Use them in the center of the room with them pointed at the ceiling to force the airflow all around the floor to prevent a boundry layer of saturated air from forming and slowing down your drying.In some dryer climates you will find you don't need them if you are using the other parts of this drying system properly.Opening 2 windows or running the HVAC may be enough.

Ken Harris
Turboteck Supplies

-------------

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 4:23pm
Okay, ready for another teckie question. Anyone got one?

-------------

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 6:35pm

Smile

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 6:45pm

-------------

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by nightrider nightrider wrote:

I HAVE A 10,000 SQ.FT GREASY RESTAURANT CARPET TO CLEAN, THE JOB PAYS 8 CENTS SQ.FT  I HAVE THE CHEMICAL TO DO THE JOB WITH A 30 SECOND DWELL TIME, THERE ARE NO TABLES OR CHAIRS TO MOVE ( COMPLETE EMPTY SPACE ) USING ONE TRUCKMOUNT AND 2 WANDS (  HOW FAST CAN YOU DO THE JOB. )

NIGHTRIDER

First off, I personally would not do a job like that for anything less than .20/sq ft. I have done simular cleaning jobs as this one in 5 hours at an average of 2000 sq ft per hour useing 2 RX20 units. I would use an enzyme product to spray on the carpet to start the digestion of the food and grease. I would not use wands for this job. That would take longer and not do as even or quality clean as the RX20 can do.Finish up with a 175 rpm floor machine with cotton pads and light acid rinse to give an even finish.

-------------

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 6:49pm

Smile

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 6:55pm
ALRIGHT THEN.................I WAS JUST LOOKING FOR SOME CHEAP LABOUR TO CLEAN MY DINING ROOM CARPET.................THANKS ANYWAY                         NIGHTRIDER

My cheap days are done Jack. 10 years ago I would have done that job at .08 and been happy with that, but those where the days when I was cleaning 700 sq ft in empty houses for $49.(only .07/sq ft) I do not do anything that does not pay at least .20/sq ft anymore.

Besides, $400/hr for the job beats $160/hr everytime,eh?

-------------

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 7:22pm

Smile

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 7:48pm
With three guys, I would think four to five hours, give or take?? How long does it take you?

-------------

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 8:12pm
Jack would need to get his TM working again to answer that question Hammy.

-------------

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 8:17pm
I have two like that, what's wrong with JacksBig smile

-------------

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 8:26pm
Take your pick of all kind of theories:

Accident?
Too Heavy for the Dodge suspension?
Broke from parking in Quebec and cleaning in Vermont?

-------------

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 9:40pm
Broke from parking inQuebec and cleaning in vermont.

-------------

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 9:43pm
You have remember even with a wand SGK keeps stroken at a 100 passes per second?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 9:47pm
Kenny in the winter time, is it a good idea to run antifreeze through your truck mount at the end of the day?

-------------

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 9:49pm

Kenny in the winter time, is it a good idea to run antifreeze through your truck mount at the end of the day?
Myself I would run Segrams VO threw it at the end of the day?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 10:42pm
And drink it the next morning before you start   

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 10:59pm
Smile

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 11:30pm

John: That depends on the temperature you have out. I used to use compressed air down to about -18C degrees C. Any colder than that, and I filled the lines with antifreeze. I used air at the milder temps because it is cheaper, eh?

-------------

Date Posted: 16/November/2006 at 11:55am
One thing for sure SGK has lots of hot compressed air?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 16/November/2006 at 12:34pm
Next!

-------------

Date Posted: 16/November/2006 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by doug doug wrote:

One thing for sure SGK has lots of hot compressed, very hot air?

Date Posted: 18/November/2006 at 12:06am

Kenny are Door hangers effective to bring in some leads/sales?

-------------

Date Posted: 18/November/2006 at 9:48am

Depends where you hang them. If you have just cleaned a house of someone in a well established community, it can be very effective, because these people have influence with their neighbours. Hang them on each adjoining house and the 3 that are directly across the street. Hangers hung in areas that you have not recently cleaned in have limited success, and get grouped in with other juck mail.

-------------

Date Posted: 18/November/2006 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Superglide Ken Superglide Ken wrote:

[QUOTE=jtuseo]

Depends where you hang them. 
Try the door knob?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 18/November/2006 at 3:50pm

Originally posted by Superglide Ken Superglide Ken wrote:

[QUOTE=jtuseo]

Depends where you hang them. 
Try the doug what a knob?

Date Posted: 18/November/2006 at 7:09pm
Mr. Steamer what the hell was that??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 18/November/2006 at 7:14pm
you called yourself a knob?????

Date Posted: 18/November/2006 at 7:16pm
I think you called me knob? Pretty low???

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 18/November/2006 at 7:18pm
diggin up bones
diggin up boooooones

too many memories better left alone

I'm reserecting memories, off all thats dead and gone

tonite I'm sittin alone......diggin up bones!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 18/November/2006 at 7:20pm
Isn't Randy Travis f*g??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 18/November/2006 at 8:10pm
he's a f*g

Date Posted: 18/November/2006 at 8:11pm
I thought so??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 18/November/2006 at 8:12pm
never knew..

oh gawd I'm singing f*g music

Date Posted: 18/November/2006 at 8:19pm
Digging up bones was not exactly a good choice??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 18/November/2006 at 8:34pm

never knew..

oh gawd I'm singing f*g music

How does that go? You are what you sing?

Date Posted: 18/November/2006 at 9:29pm
work it don't jerk it

-------------

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 10:16am

work it don't jerk it
Mr. Steamer jerks it while he works?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 10:31am
yeah thats how you push the wand....but you wouldn't know that now would ya douguy?

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 10:56am
No I use glides??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 11:07am
still got to jerk to get it started...see so u dont know

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 11:50am
I'am a little smother than that no jerking??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 2:44pm
Stroking only?

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 2:53pm
small strokes he's short

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 3:30pm
Look if you are going to start with the short jokes?
I will start posting about you wearing your lady custies underwear again?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 3:55pm
I thought that was the norm in the GTAConfused

-------------

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 4:35pm
I heard SGK is a cross dresser. Maybe he is from the GTA

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 5:05pm
He would fit right in!Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 9:38pm

Question for Kenny of course.

Kenny What do you think about the hydramaster boxxer

-------------

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 10:29pm

Look if you are going to start with the short jokes?
I will start posting about you wearing your lady custies underwear again?
You are small...that is true...the underwear thing is not...  I can't do anything about your lack of height....I would be lying if I said otherwise.

Date Posted: 20/November/2006 at 10:03am

Question for Kenny of course.

Kenny What do you think about the hydramaster boxxer

In my opinion, this is not the most reliable of TMs.Till reports of it's reliability increase, I would suggest taking alook at the Powerclean line of TMs instead, which have a much better reputation in this regard.

-------------

Date Posted: 21/November/2006 at 4:52pm
Next question!

-------------

Date Posted: 21/November/2006 at 4:58pm
What came first the chicken or the egg? Nah, nah

-------------

Date Posted: 21/November/2006 at 5:14pm
I'm waiting!...........................................................................Banana Dance

-------------

Date Posted: 21/November/2006 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Hammy Hammy wrote:

What came first the chicken or the egg? [IMG]height=19 alt="Nah, nah" src="http://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/smileys/tongue2.gif" width=33 align=absMiddle>

The Egg. Without the egg, you cannot have a chicken, since the chicken always comes from an egg. However, the egg does not have to come from a chicken. Chicken eggs can be created in the labratory from the DNA of a chicken,eh?

-------------

Date Posted: 21/November/2006 at 7:13pm
Good answer. Now the whole world knows the truth

Posted By: John L
Date Posted: 21/November/2006 at 9:33pm
Wand glide lip question..

My stock wand is 12" the opening is 3/16" When i add the front lip glide it's 3/32" thats 1/16" less than 1/8"
Am i loosing cfm/lift..... seems like a small opening ...

Running PowerClean Freedom XT-45 26hp Kohler......

Date Posted: 22/November/2006 at 12:34am
WELLBang Head

Date Posted: 22/November/2006 at 2:47am
Wand glide lip question..

My stock wand is 12" the opening is 3/16" When i add the front lip glide it's 3/32" thats 1/16" less than 1/8"
Am i loosing cfm/lift..... seems like a small opening ...

Any time you add any glide to a wand, you lose lift, but gain cfm. You lose lift because the glide will not lock down to the carpet. Even thou the area is smaller than the opening without the glide on, it is still a larger area than was open at the WCI when the wand is on the floor.

How do we know this? The amount of air that can flow thru a regular wand when on the carpet at 14"HG is approx 100 cfm. This much air requires an opening of about 5/8 sq in.Since the width of the wandhead is fixed at 12" wide, we can mathmatically calulate how wide the "effective slot width" is that equals that area.

Y = thickness of wand slot

5/8" = Y X 12" long
.625" = Y X 12"
Y =.625/12
Y = .0521" width (effective width of slot without glide)

Now, the width of the slot with the glide in place is 3/32", or .0938" expressed in decimal form. Comparing the 2 numbers we have this ratio:

.0938/.0521 = 1.80

So the area that the air goes thru with the glide in place is 80% larger, which raises the cfm potential up to 180 cfm, compared to the 100 cfms it was before. Lift will go down, but not as much as cfm went up, because less air is being drawn in thru the vacuum relief now that more is coming in thru the wand.The Lip glide only raises the wand head 1/16" or so, but that little bit is still enough to increase cfms on most wands up to 80% or more.

-------------

Date Posted: 22/November/2006 at 1:58pm
ok thanks Silly

Date Posted: 22/November/2006 at 2:47pm
Stick that in your pipe and smoke it! Smokey

-------------

Date Posted: 23/November/2006 at 11:01am
Question for Kenny

What are your thoughts of the Pro Chem Blazer?

-------------

Date Posted: 23/November/2006 at 11:15am
kenny is it better to clean at higher psi's or lower???

high over 500
lover under 350

using a truck mount

Date Posted: 23/November/2006 at 12:49pm

kenny is it better to clean at higher psi's or lower???

high over 500

lover under 350

using a truck mount

Lower. Using too much pressure has the effect of driving soil into the carpet back where it is almost impossible to remove.High pressure also breaks the surface tension of the carpet backing as well, allowing water to get into the carpet pad, where extended drying will be necessary as well. Best pressure to clean with for most people is 300 psi with HIGH FLOW, measured at the wand, not the truck! Since you will lose 50 to 100 psi on 1/4 hose getting it 100 ft out to the wand, your setting at the pump might be 400 psi or higher. You need to test this yourself.Total jet size needs to be at least .06 or higher, with .08 being better. This will give you close to 1.5 gal/minute when the trigger is pulled. It is VOLUME of water used that does the cleaning and flushing, not the pressure.

That said, if you use glides with your wand, it is possible to go 200 psi higher(500 psi) and gain even more impact without over-wetting the carpet. You need to use a wand where the jets are aimed at the vacuum slot. Most are not, but if you have one that is, the glide installed will allow the water to be very rapidly removed from the carpet before it has a chance to penetrate the carpet back. The increased flow at the higher pressure will shear the soil off the face fibers and give rapid drying carpet at the same time. That is how our wands are set up and we have dry carpets(to the touch)in under an hour most of the time as a result.

-------------

Date Posted: 23/November/2006 at 12:52pm

Question for Kenny

What are your thoughts of the Pro Chem Blazer?

Good starter machine. If doing mostly residential cleaning with up to 200 ft of hose, it can be a good choice. If you need more performance, the Legend is a better choice.

-------------

Date Posted: 23/November/2006 at 1:50pm
Kenny I want to get into Hardwoodfloor cleaning and polishing. I amlso want to start stripping and polishing hard floors like in resturants and super markets. What would you recommend. I want to be as cost effective as possible. Also do you think there is a demand for hardwood floor polishing and cleaning.

Thank you

Jtuseo

-------------

Date Posted: 23/November/2006 at 2:03pm

Kenny I want to get into Hardwoodfloor cleaning and polishing. I amlso want to start stripping and polishing hard floors like in resturants and super markets. What would you recommend. I want to be as cost effective as possible. Also do you think there is a demand for hardwood floor polishing and cleaning.

Thank you

Jtuseo

There is huge demand for this, but you need to gain a higher skill level to do it than carpet cleaning. Carpet is still being removed more from houses than installed, and this is where the demand is coming from. But because they need area rugs to go with the new refinished floors, staying in carpet cleaning is still a good plan. But you want to go after the area rug market by installing a wash pit and drying rack. This takes money. Learn the refinish business first then install the other.

-------------

Date Posted: 23/November/2006 at 2:36pm
Does this mean the future for carpet cleaning is grim? Will it end Kenny?
I am going to purchace the buffer and start  doing the woodfloors to, I need to ad this to my service.

-------------

Date Posted: 23/November/2006 at 2:47pm

Does this mean the future for carpet cleaning is grim? Will it end Kenny?
I am going to purchace the buffer and start  doing the woodfloors to, I need to ad this to my service.

IMO, carpet will not be ending in either of our lifetimes, but since most carpet is made from oil, and oil is going much higher in the next few years($100 to 200/barrel), its use has further to fall yet. Probably to about 50% of floor coverings from the 70% or so it is at now. Also, expect carpet that is purchased to go high end more and more. This means more wool carpet installed in the higher end homes. Low end homes will increasingly go to wood and other material like tiles.

-------------

Date Posted: 24/November/2006 at 10:23pm
Kenny how do you feel about the titanium wands? Also is a single jet wand good for portable uses?

-------------

Posted By: Dennis Conner
Date Posted: 25/November/2006 at 1:26am
When are you going to send Don Cook the money he paid you for equipment you never sent him???

YOU FU(KING CROOK!!!!!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net