Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

COLOUR REPAIR POLYESTER CARPET

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero KELVIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/February/2005 at 5:26pm

acne meds will also take the colour out of olefin and polyester

Zero KELVIN

Sponsored Links

surroundings View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/February/2005 at 6:36pm
If it's a polyprop carpet, you'll not be able to re-dye it... according to the company here in Adelaide, South Australia that does all my spot touch-ups.  He's been doing it for 20 years, and I kinda trust him at this stage from the help he's given me in the past.  Someone please post if they feel that I'm mis-guided.

If it's a polyprop carpet though... I'd be surprised if your problem area is bleach.  Re-test the carpet.... re-question the client.

Dunno about polyester though.  I've never asked.

Which are you talking about anyway... olifin or polyester?

Good luck

Allen
Zero KELVIN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero KELVIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/February/2005 at 9:03pm

both can be fixed

Zero KELVIN

Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/February/2005 at 9:48pm
Zero Kelvin you started this topic with a question and then you answered it. This had never been done before. You get a Zero mark for that.
The Following Statements do not Necessarily Reflect the Views of this Forum Network

http://www.kleenkuip.com
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/February/2005 at 11:44pm

what answer???

they can both be fixed???? yeah use a match...

www.mr-steamer.com
greg View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/February/2005 at 6:02am

you could try the dyes they use for cars. it comes in a spray can. you may not find a color to match. i've only found a match once and it wasn't 100%. but dyeing isn't perfect it only makes it better. make sure the client knows that before you start.

nothing is impossable. it just hasn't been done yet.
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/February/2005 at 3:32pm
Greg,

Although you can aim to lessen the visual impact of a stain with what you suggest... a good carpet dye job takes time to properly colour-match.

I believe Mr. Zero KELVIN insinuated that the problem could be FIXED... which is different (IMHO) to the suggestion you gave.

Now though... I'm still not convinced that bleach will take the colour out of polyprop.  I've got a sample somewhere, so I may have a go at it.

I'd also be interested in how our colleague Mr. Kelvin proposes to fix this problem (if indeed I can re-create it in the first place).  I don't believe that I have any polyester carpet though.  I do have an 'enjo' cloth that's not bleachable.... does that count?

Any more info???

Cheers,

Allen
greg View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/February/2005 at 7:26am

surroundings, i don't think KZ will be able to repair it, that is why i suggested the spray dye. acid dyes only work on nylon and wool, as everyone knows, and yes a good dye takes time but even then it is not alwas perfect. sometimes you can only, as you said lessen the visual impact. but sometime par is good enough.......( i'm thinking golf already )

nothing is impossable. it just hasn't been done yet.
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/February/2005 at 2:11pm

Olefin (polypropylene) -- is the most stain-resistant of all fibers. And the least moisture absorbing of any fiber.

When dyed at the manufacturing plant it is solution dyed, because it doesn't have dye sites.

High ph cleaning chems won't harm this fibers. Also it has dying limitations, so your color selection will be limited.

I wouldn't use it on high traffic areas, it has low resiliency.

Polyester -- is difficult to dye and to stain. It will accept bright dye colors, has good abrasion resistance, and sure is easy to clean.

I wouldn't use poly in high traffic areas.

Steaminpile View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/February/2005 at 8:15pm
polyester is hard to clean?
A.K.A.
Andy
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/February/2005 at 9:26pm
It shouldn't be had to clean because it's hard to stain. Are you sure it's poly? How are you testing the fiber? It's up there with olefin as a stain-resist fiber. What chems are you using? Having the right chem for this fiber makes it not so hard to clean. Sometimes all fibers are hard to clean. The right chem will make it easier on you.
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/February/2005 at 6:59am
I suppose that the best that could be done without replacing a section of this type of carpet is a 'close-enough-for-rock-N-roll' dye substutute then?  I mention 'dye substitute' as it seems (from what I've heard/read) that normal carpet dying techniques will not properly adhere to the actual fibre?

If the customer is informed of this, and the colour matching is carefully attempted... then perhaps it is an option to be considered. 

Cheers,

Allen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12