Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

when to draw the line?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mccc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: when to draw the line?
    Posted: 25/April/2005 at 1:04am

When you go into a house or business and you see that the carpet is need death, do you guys try to revive it or walk away and advice the customer to get themselves a new carpet. If you try to revive what steps do you take.  I ran into a carpet (15+ yr old commercial glue down) that had stains every 2 to 3 feet And God only knows how long those stains have been there. I used a roto vac with brush attachments on a portable. When i finished, I had discoloration, and the carpt in about a 4X6 area began to come apart to the point that i could see the concrete behind the carpet. WHERE DID I GO WRONG? new to the biz good advice needed. 

MCCC
Sponsored Links

cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/April/2005 at 1:13am
Sounds to me like you got a little too aggressive on that carpet.  Are you buying it now?
Steaminpile View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/April/2005 at 1:18am

never walked away cuz it was too filthy

cuz I know I can make it look MUCH better

A.K.A.
Andy
Lisa Smith View Drop Down
Cute Buns
Cute Buns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/April/2005 at 1:20am

You are the one in control, always remember that. You don't HAVE to attempt any job.

Use your best judgement, and if you decide to tackle a super nasty always prequalify it as a "salvage attempt". Make it clear to them that you will do your best, but because of the age/condition of the carpet, cleaning may cause it further damage. If you are in doubt, or feel uncomfortable WALK AWAY! I would be hesitant to use an aggressive rotary tool on an old/damaged carpet. I like the gentleness of the wand and glide or possibly an RDM.

If you are interested in selling new carpet, you can try this approach:

Tell the custy that you will do a "salvage attempt" and if it is not satisfactory, you will credit the cost of the cleaning toward the purchase of new carpet from you.

Take care,

Lisa

Edited by Lisa Smith
Superglide Ken View Drop Down
Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

SGK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superglide Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/April/2005 at 1:22am
Good advice Lisa. I agree completly.
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.
cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/April/2005 at 1:25am
Good marketing Lisa
mccc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mccc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/April/2005 at 1:29am
thank you lisa, sound like good advice- I'll use it
MCCC
mccc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mccc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/April/2005 at 1:32am
as to the reply about me buying the carpet- no I don't have to, the owners were going to pull it anyway, they were generous enough to let me experiment on it
MCCC
greg View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/April/2005 at 6:14am
i agree with steaminpile & lisa. never refuse a job but always prequalify. just make sure the client knows they have to pay for your attempt. after all we don't work for free.
nothing is impossable. it just hasn't been done yet.
dontlikedennis View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontlikedennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/April/2005 at 7:52am
if you see it starting to turn color place your machine over that spot then try to get paid before you finish if it gets worse tell them your machine broke down and you'll be back in 1/2 hour with a new machine.....then just run like hell
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2005 at 1:06am
Funny Post
Rick/Magic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick/Magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2005 at 8:44am
what Lisa said...
25 years of cleaning carpet
and my back hurts
nightrider View Drop Down
Marketing Master
Marketing Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2005 at 8:49am

LISA IS WRONG............WHEN A HORSE BREAKS A LEG.........YOU SHOOT IT..............WHEN A DISH BREAKS YOU THROW IT OUT...........DO THE SAME FOR A CARPET THATS FALLING APART, WHAT IS THERE TO SAVE.............BUT IF YOU DO ATTEMPT THE CLEANING AT THE END DON'T CHARGE YOUR CUSTOMER IF YOU HAVE ANY MORALS..........'CAUSE YOU KNEW IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE

NIGHTRIDER

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2005 at 9:24am
Remember one thing.  You said you could clean it.  It did not respond.  I guess the next time they will call someone to clean the new carpet who will do what they say they can do. Clean it.Guitar
Just My opinion
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>