Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Cleaning Wool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning Wool
    Posted: 13/August/2007 at 10:08am
    Wool is a natural fiber that comes from the fleece of sheep or lambs. It is found in higher-end carpet in homes or commercial properties, and can be in tufted or woven construction. Wool is a very strong and durable fiber but has some limitations in cleaning. You must control your moisture, pH and drying time to avoid problems such as bleeding, browning, wicking and shrinkage (woven carpets).

PROCEDURE

Quick Guide PROCEDURE

Identify fiber using the burn test.

Pre-vacuum to remove dry soil.

Pre-spot difficult to remove stains prior to cleaning.

Pre-condition the carpet with Zone Perfect boosted with Citrus Solv.

Extract with End Zone.

Neutralize with Fab Set, if necessary.

Protect with Maxim.

Groom carpet

Dry with air movers.

PRODUCTS NEEDED

End Zone

Zone Perfect

Citrus Solv

Maxim

Fab Set

Air King

Bridgepoint Spotting Kit

Grandi Groomer

STEP 1:

Use the burn test to properly identify the fiber. If found to be a synthetic fiber, refer to the Bridgepoint Fast Track Cleaning Guide for that fiber. If found to be wool, continue with this procedure.

STEP 2:

Thoroughly vacuum the carpet to remove as much dry soil as possible. Wool can hide large quantities of soil. The carpet will be more soiled than it appears. Several slow passes with a quality vacuum cleaner will make your cleaning more efficient and produce better final results.

STEP 3:

Determine which spots may need extra attention and remove them prior to cleaning, using your Bridgepoint Spotting Kit. Refer to spotting brochure for specific spots and stains.

STEP 4:

Pre-condition the carpet with Zone Perfect and agitate with a soft Grandi Groomer. Zone Perfect is a powerful prespray with a mild pH that is suitable for wool and 5th generation nylon carpets. Adding Citrus Solv to your Zone Perfect will give a tremendous cleaning boost without raising your pH or damaging the fiber.

STEP 5:

Extract – This step is the "rinse cycle" where you wash the dirt away that was loosened in the preconditioning phase. Use End Zone in the chemical injection system of the truck-mount or in the tank of your portable machine. End Zone is a mild but powerful emulsifier that will aid in cleaning and is suitable for wool and other delicate carpet fibers.

STEP 6:

If you used an alkaline product in your rinse, spray a light mist of Fab-Set. This will neutralize any remaining alkaline residue that may be left after cleaning and prepare the carpet for Bridgepoint protector.

STEP 7:

Protect the carpet using Bridgepoint Maxim or Teflon Advanced for Wool.

STEP 8:

Groom or set the pile where needed. It is important to groom wool carpet so you do not leave permanent jet streaks or wand marks after cleaning. This will leave a nice finished look and will promote drying. Clean a small section of carpet. Set the pile while it is still damp and warm to avoid permanent wand patterns.

STEP 9:

Take all steps necessary to dry the carpet quickly. This includes extra vacuum only strokes, using ceiling fans and/or HVAC and the use of an air mover.

HELPFUL HINT

Wool is not that difficult to clean if you follow the steps above. Follow the three main principles of cleaning by controlling moisture, pH and dry time and you will most likely never have a problem.

CAUTION

Avoid over aggressive measures when cleaning. Wool is a staple fiber and can have a fuzzing problem if you get carried away with agitation. A vacuum brush that digs too deep into the pile, a carpet brush with stiff bristles and scrubbing to remove a spot or stain are all possible sources of aggressive agitation that can leave a wool carpet with pile distortion or a fuzzy appearance. Avoid excessive pressure; 300 to 400 psi should be the maximum pressure for cleaning wool in most cases.

CONCLUSION

Some cleaners are concerned about the pH of products used to clean wool carpet. Some oft repeated guide lines about the pH of products used to clean wool are not entirely accurate.

What is much more important than the pH of the products used for a few minutes to clean wool, is the pH of the fibers after the cleaning has been completed, and the pH of the wool fibers for weeks or months until the next cleaning. The combination of Zone Perfect followed by End Zone leaves the wool fiber in the perfect slightly acid state.

Wool is an expensive fiber. Properly maintained, it can last many years and be a great value.

Your residential clients with wool carpets, either wall to wall or area rugs, know the value of wool. They are willing to pay the cost to maintain their investment. They will expect a high level of personal service. Learning to properly clean wool carpet and how to market to these discriminating clients will open doors to a lucrative income.

Wool does not burn easily. It will not emit toxic fumes if it does ignite. For these reasons, fire regulations often require the use of wool carpet near exits of high occupancy buildings. Do not over-look these potential clients for your service.

www.mr-steamer.com
Sponsored Links

cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 10:23am
A nice change from STT's sales posts

The STD Meter
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 12:53pm
nice Advertising for Bridgepoint
Just My opinion
nightrider View Drop Down
Marketing Master
Marketing Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 1:11pm
Smile

Edited by nightrider - 15/November/2007 at 1:11pm
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 2:41pm
I read a lot of crap about carpet cleaning...my point anyone can post long stupid post...I have an email box full of these over the years...

marketing Ideas..... machine repair.... creative acctounting....etc etc..

I could post about this stuff all damn day.

who wants to read a board full of information....not me...not unless I have a problem
www.mr-steamer.com
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 2:45pm
Well what's your problem??
Just My opinion
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 2:48pm
no problem...how about you?
www.mr-steamer.com
nightrider View Drop Down
Marketing Master
Marketing Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 2:56pm
Smile

Edited by nightrider - 15/November/2007 at 1:12pm
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 5:34pm
I have no problems. At least none i want to talk about.
Just My opinion
cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by doug doug wrote:

I have no problems. At least none i want to talk about and I have a therapist for that.

The STD Meter
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 8:40pm
NR isn't a carpet cleaner so he finds it boring
www.mr-steamer.com
cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 8:48pm
Let's talk about Chinese food

The STD Meter
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 9:01pm
Lets not and say we did
Just My opinion
FriendlyHammer View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FriendlyHammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 9:05pm
I'm hungry again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>