Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Tile and Grout and Hard Surface Floor Cleaning Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Hardwood trend in new and older homes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
The Great Hardini
The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hardwood trend in new and older homes
    Posted: 05/March/2004 at 4:24pm

As a carpet cleaning equipment sales company I am seeing equipment sales erode over the past year or so. Obviously being concerned I am reaching out for answers as to why. I also notice that my long term existing customers are purchasing less product.  I would love to have your opinions.

My theory is that new homes are installing hardwood as it seems to be the new trend. Old carpet in even older homes is being removed and existing hardwood being refinished. Also many do-it-yourself domestic machines are being sold.

My question is…

Are carpet cleaners interested in expanding into hardwood flooring refinishing? It would appear not in my area even though we have offered newer floor sanding equipment that is easier to understand and operate. HEPA filters leave no dust behind. This is an excellent growing opportunity but I see fear of the unknown in the faces of my customers whom I discuss this very subject with.

Love to hear your comments.

Sponsored Links

nightrider View Drop Down
Marketing Master
Marketing Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/March/2004 at 12:49am

Hi Ted, as you know I'm not in your area at all but if I was, you would be the only one I would buy from. To all those who don't know me or hate me yet, My name is Jack and I help my son run his carpet cleaning and renovation business in Montreal. I was cleaning carpets as far back as the 70's and seen many new technological changes in the industry. I bought a truckmount from Ted last year, perhaps some of you know it. A 1990 Steam Action Stainless Steel unit enclosed in a 1990 Dodge 350 Extended Van. This unit is not a toy like many other Truckmounts out there, and have no regrets on the purchase. To all those in the Toronto Metropolitain area whether you're a carpet cleaner, carpet installer, window washer, painter, project manager or a do it your-self-er. Drop in a see and say hello to Ted or one of his employees. He has a sh*t-load of used equipment in excellent condition, some of which I'm trying to get Ted to lower the price on. If I drive all the way from Montreal, over 600 miles, to purchase from KleenKuip, there has to be a reason. One thing about Ted is that he stands behind his merchandice and will always be on the level with you. NO Lies, or deceipt with him. Monday morning make it a point to go see him before the season starts, get prepared by visiting KleenKuip. All you Americans out there...........don't you know a deal when you see it.......your money is worth almost 35% more.......What A Bargain. SPEND>>>SPEND>>>>SPEND>>>>& gt;>>>SPEND>>SPEND

As far as you go Ted, relax wood comes in for a few years, then out.........why.......bacause after 2 or 3 winters on a cold wood or ceramic floor they go back to carpets......not to mention the fact that the wood is all scratched by then and the ceramic is all cracking and the grout is all discoloured. People will not sand their floor a second time.....too expensive....time consumming... and a crystal finish requires them to leave for 3 days....the next best thing.........yes you got it......nice soft, warm, colourful carpeting. Carpet makes an old room come to life, and take on a character of its own. Don't even promote all this crap wood chiselling buffer, grinder, woodpecker, rotary nonsence.....because people are all running out and buying this new revolutionary floating floor that is made out of cardboard, glue, and paper products. In a year of dropping liquids, dog scratches and humidity, they'll be ripping it out or installing carpeting right over it 'cause this stuff warps, chips, and comes apart at the seams. Besides no hotel, or commercial or even appartment building will ever turn to ceramic or marble on the floor due to the very slippery conditions it creates when wet and the high cost of lawsuits, not to mention the high maintenence. All you carpet cleaners are safe, the one flash wonders will fall to the sidelines and make room for all those that are really serious carpet cleaners......and proud of it.

Jack from Montreal       aka      NIGHTRIDER

MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/March/2004 at 4:44pm

Cleaning is a luxuary people want the easy quick fix.....remember back in the day when hardwood was gross and carpet was in....

They'll come around...hard wood is cold, hard on the bones, dents nicks, it cost way more to refinish it....

I'll say there is less carpet, most people still go with carpet in the bedrooms..but thats when you have to push area rug cleaning....

Ted you should look at area rug cleaning since everyone knows you, be a little cheaper than New way, babs, or turco...

Trim down the sale of chemicals...scale back the new equipment side(ie all the ninjas) boost the service area(it would be nice if you had drive in doors)boost used equipment....boost the classes...do a few for yourself not with IICRC...yes do hardwood..... 

Carpet cleaners are cheap or smart....

I get my soap made for 1/10th of the cost...I like dry slurry, I know someone who makes chemicals...they took it and matched it...way less..

greg View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/March/2004 at 8:35pm

over the years we have found that more and more hardwood is out there. that's why we started using RX for hardwood floors and we love it.

jackblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/March/2004 at 9:08am
how much is the dry slurry?
Stanley View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2004 at 9:05am
For 1 50lbs pail it cost around 300 dollars.  good but costy
People & Standards You Can Trust
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2004 at 11:06am
Originally posted by nightrider nightrider wrote:

Hi Ted, as you know I'm not in your area at all but if I was, you would be the only one I would buy from. To all those who don't know me or hate me yet, My name is Jack and I help my son run his carpet cleaning and renovation business in Montreal. I was cleaning carpets as far back as the 70's and seen many new technological changes in the industry. I bought a truckmount from Ted last year, perhaps some of you know it. A 1990 Steam Action Stainless Steel unit enclosed in a 1990 Dodge 350 Extended Van. This unit is not a toy like many other Truckmounts out there, and have no regrets on the purchase. To all those in the Toronto Metropolitain area whether you're a carpet cleaner, carpet installer, window washer, painter, project manager or a do it your-self-er. Drop in a see and say hello to Ted or one of his employees. He has a sh*t-load of used equipment in excellent condition, some of which I'm trying to get Ted to lower the price on. If I drive all the way from Montreal, over 600 miles, to purchase from KleenKuip, there has to be a reason. One thing about Ted is that he stands behind his merchandice and will always be on the level with you. NO Lies, or deceipt with him. Monday morning make it a point to go see him before the season starts, get prepared by visiting KleenKuip. All you Americans out there...........don't you know a deal when you see it.......your money is worth almost 35% more.......What A Bargain. SPEND>>>SPEND>>>>SPEND>>>>& amp; gt;>>>SPEND>>SPEND

As far as you go Ted, relax wood comes in for a few years, then out.........why.......bacause after 2 or 3 winters on a cold wood or ceramic floor they go back to carpets......not to mention the fact that the wood is all scratched by then and the ceramic is all cracking and the grout is all discoloured. People will not sand their floor a second time.....too expensive....time consumming... and a crystal finish requires them to leave for 3 days....the next best thing.........yes you got it......nice soft, warm, colourful carpeting. Carpet makes an old room come to life, and take on a character of its own. Don't even promote all this crap wood chiselling buffer, grinder, woodpecker, rotary nonsence.....because people are all running out and buying this new revolutionary floating floor that is made out of cardboard, glue, and paper products. In a year of dropping liquids, dog scratches and humidity, they'll be ripping it out or installing carpeting right over it 'cause this stuff warps, chips, and comes apart at the seams. Besides no hotel, or commercial or even appartment building will ever turn to ceramic or marble on the floor due to the very slippery conditions it creates when wet and the high cost of lawsuits, not to mention the high maintenence. All you carpet cleaners are safe, the one flash wonders will fall to the sidelines and make room for all those that are really serious carpet cleaners......and proud of it.

Jack from Montreal       aka      NIGHTRIDER

Holy Shzit....blah blah blah....lol....you can always tell a Telemarketer 
nightrider View Drop Down
Marketing Master
Marketing Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2004 at 3:27pm

MR. STEAMER..........I'M THE BEST AT WHAT I DO, I'M THE GUY THAT DISTURBS YOUR SUPPER, I'M THE GUY WHO GETS YOU RUNNING OUT OF THE CAN WHILE YOU'RE HAVING A GOOD CRAP TO ANSWER THE PHONE, I'M THE GUY WHO MAKES YOU TRIP OVER THAT RAKE WHILE YOUR GARDENING........WHY.........TO ANSWER THE PHONE..........DON'T GET ALL EXCITED I HAVE A GOOD DEAL FOR YOU, I CAN SAVE YOU MONEY.......REALLY!!!!! THE PERSON ON THE OTHER END SAYS...........YEP!! I SAY........AND ANOTHER $ 399.00 AMERICAN PLUS SHIPPING IS MINE. ( OVER 20 LIKE THOSE EACH AND EVERY DAY) I PAY 30% COMMISSION, IF YOU'RE INTERESTED

NIGHTRIDER

Antony Lelkes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antony Lelkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2004 at 11:00pm

Hi Ted

I wish that what Jack was saying is true. Unfortunately it is more of a conjecture or in plane language a dream. Wood is not cold and ceramic tile seldom crack. Let me say this much, when I seen a 96 years old maple floor in the Chicago in a CLASS ROOM where kids were playing havoc with it I woke up. We restored that floor and it looked great. No carpet can stand this kind of an abuse for this length of time.

It is also true that carpet became a fad in the 70's and hardwood became a fad thirty years later in this century.

I just came back from the Montreal show and there were signs of carpet cleaners were looking for alternative money making opportunities to augment their dwindling carpet cleaning business. How many of them looking for it? I don't know.

I also know for fact that the wood floor industry is enjoying growing business.

Antony Lelkes
carpetologist View Drop Down
The Great Hardini
The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2004 at 4:28pm

Hi Folks

We see that Antony Lelkes from Centaur Floor Machines became a new member. 

Now we will see some serious posts and pictures on the best and strongest Canadian made equipment out there.

Look out Pad Man

Anothy of Centaur has introduced a new hardwood floor sander.   Totally enviro friendly with no dust to clean up.

Mr. Carpet Cleaner have you noticed the living room, dinning room and hall are no longer always installed with carpet. Maybe it is time to diversify.

Rotti123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rotti123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2004 at 6:08pm

My first floor machine was a used Centaur.  It's an 18" 375rpm machine and it has been a workhorse for my business for over 10 years.   It's been used for stripping floors and spray buffing.   I've had the brushes changed in the motor once, and other than that I just give it a coat of paint every couple of years.   I don't think it will ever die.   

Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2004 at 11:31pm

Ya Rotti I have seen some real Centaur relics come into the store, in fact there so old they don't even make the splash guard for this type anymore.

The customer doesn't care he will look high and low to find one to fit, says until it die's I'm not giving it up. 

TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/May/2004 at 5:55am
funny nightridier says that, I have about half carpet (upstairs bedrooms, hallways) and about half hardwood (downstairs frontroom, living room, dining room) and have been very tempted to put carpet over the hardwood because it is an extreme pain to maintain.  If I didn't do any hardwood at all, I would probably have carpet over it already.  BTW, it can't hurt to know, have the equipment for, and do as many different types of floor surfaces as possible.  Hardwood sanding and refinishing in my area runs at over a dollar a squarefoot. 
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/May/2004 at 9:31am
I thinks its great to be able to do hard surfaces....but if your carpet cleaning gets busy and the hard surfaces get busy...you kinda spread yourself too thin...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>