Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Business Marketing Advertising and Promotion Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Starting and Building a Business

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
Author
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/October/2004 at 8:58pm

I was talking about the advertising... he say he only has the YP... In the GTA YP a lone will bring you nothing... If I was counting on the YP I wouldn't have any TP

Sponsored Links

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/October/2004 at 9:01pm
I can recall a day when we made more a sq. ft. here in Canada  for carpet cleaning than in the US.  What to hell happened?Guitar
Just My opinion
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/October/2004 at 9:10pm

Free enterprise happened douggie... CC machine became more affordable for everyone here in Canada...

and the Big Firms Cutting the price so low, that they aren't even making money...

American believe in paying for service... Canadians want them for free

Steaminpile View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2004 at 11:22am

"American believe in paying for service... Canadians want them for free"

that's a crock

last CC co. I worked for we were charging .30 sq.ft. and I know he's raised his prices since then.

I think it is how and who you market your services to.

where you live makes a big difference.

I have only been on my own since Dec. 2002 and other than a smaller YP ad I have done 0 advertising this year and I can hardly keep up to all the work.

but I can see it being more difficult in a larger city

True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2004 at 3:01pm

I guess it does depend on geographic location... but Steamin I don't think what I said is a crock, once again someone has to belittle someone else to get their point across... if you don't agree don't agree but don't talk to me like I'm a fool....

In Orlando Florida Sears charges more than we do here, and people pay, no complaints... call average is way higher...

When I post I only post with the knowledge and experience from the GTA, where in the Yellow pages there is a few hundred CC co. with big ads and a 1000 or so with word ads... as a small guy if you get 1 call all year from the yellow pages you're bloody lucky.... to cover the GTA area with a small 10 by 10 ad will easily cost you $1000-$1500 a month... with no guarantees

I've been in this a while I don't post crap.... I only speak from what I know

If your 15mins late... they want it free.... Had one Lady demand that we pay her for her day off (500 bucks) and clean the carpet free..

Gta also has alot of ethnic peoples who will try anything to reduce cut or get it free....

Out in the boons where Santa claus dare not go anything can happen

BIG CITY BIG PROBLEMS

Edited by MR. STEAMER
www.mr-steamer.com
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2004 at 4:07pm
Mr. Steamer:  You are right about Sears in the US.  I usually collect their brochures when ever we go over.  Puting what they get into canadian money and I might even be happy with what they charge.  I may not be in the GTA, but we do have one thing in common.  People who want things for nothing.  My horse and I can get pissed off real easy somedays.Guitar
Just My opinion
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2004 at 6:45pm

I was thinking about buying Sears Orlando.... but too hot you only can do 3 jobs a day if your lucky.. plus there is a lot of grout cleaning... maybe even more than carpet....

I think at the time they where charging 27 bucks a room....

anyways if you want to have volume of calls you have to have more than one form of advertising... Steamin you and Padman can laugh all you want but its true...

What does a big company have over you???

Lots of them only have a few employees and the rest are subs.....anyone can do that..

They Advertise... YP...Val Pak... news paper... telemarketing... mass mailings from more than just 1 pak company....

Believe it or not Sears GTA will book 60 to 90 calls a day... 60 calls is slow, they need at least 60 to keep things rolling...

How do they get the calls ADVERTISE every single form possible...

For extra Money Techs do door hangers up and down the street they are on..

Advertise + good Service = CASH MONEY MILLIONAIRE

www.mr-steamer.com
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2004 at 7:45pm
Mr. Steamer:  I talked to a carpet cleaner who was cleaning at the place where we stay in florida.  I have talked to a couple of different cleaners each year we go.  You think GTA is cut throat, it has nothing on Florida.  But I like the heat so I would go there. After all I think there  is thousands people a day  moving into Florida.  But we stay in Kississmme a few minutes from everything and a little slower pace.  I think the hard part would be having no real season change.Guitar
Just My opinion
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2004 at 10:57pm
The Heat will kill you....
www.mr-steamer.com
Superglide Ken View Drop Down
Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

SGK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superglide Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2004 at 12:15am
So will the humidity. And if that doesn't, the hurricanes get a shot at you every few years.
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.
Steaminpile View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2004 at 12:40am

Never meant to belittle Steamer with my "that's a crock" response.

but it was in response that ONLY Americans will pay for good service....which I still believe to be untrue.

then again,my competition is only aboot 15-20 other CC's

not 100's

gmoney View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2004 at 9:03am

Steamer you can build a successful business without mass advertising and spending tens of thousands.  Yes advertising is important but not the be all and end all.  If you have deep pockets and name recognition like Sears then you can throw tons on money into Valpack advertising.  It seems to attract the lowest common denominator if you ask me.  I have used this form of advertising before.

The name of the game is referalls and by getting on the phone and exhausting your warm market, your business will build steadily.  For example, success can be achieved by aligning yourself with a company that already has a database of customers and offering a complimentary service and a small percentage. 

By focussing on a niche market and refusing to get down in the trenches with the bargain hunters, your life will be easier.  And if you ever choose to expand beyond a one man show then the margins are there to pay someone so they remain happy and loyal.

Grout cleaning can be lucrative.  It pays much more than carpet cleaning and in my opinion is usually easier.

Edited by gmoney
If you know what is good for you get it dry as quickly as possible
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2004 at 2:46pm

Niche niche niche... thats all I can here...who or where is this niche market.  I can tell you right now in the GTA... there are customers out there that don't know who to call... the don't know the GMONEYS... they don't know the Splash n Dashes... they only know the Co. with the big ad.

niche is everyone who wants their carpet cleaned for me... referrals are nice but that alone will not keep food on the table...

Starting a business from the ground... you have no customers so where are the referrals going to come from...???? how are you going to get the exposure you need??? You can only get referrals if you have customers.

you can only get customers if you advertise...For the part time or weekend cleaner referrals are great but for those that need the calls to put gas in the tank and food on the table you have to think bigger.

Truthfully sometimes word of mouth falls on def ears

www.mr-steamer.com
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2004 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by MR. STEAMER MR. STEAMER wrote:

niche is everyone who wants their carpet cleaned for me... referrals are nice but that alone will not keep food on the table...

Starting a business from the ground... you have no customers so where are the referrals going to come from...???? how are you going to get the exposure you need??? You can only get referrals if you have customers.

you can only get customers if you advertise...For the part time or weekend cleaner referrals are great but for those that need the calls to put gas in the tank and food on the table you have to think bigger.

Truthfully sometimes word of mouth falls on def ears

Mr. Steamer:  Very good responce.  Living in a smaller market people startup everyday.  People jump ship and try them. "new broom sweeps cleaner" they say.  But for how long?  I think in some cases you are only as good till a cheaper price comes along.  Loyalty is not like it was 10 or 15 yasr ago.  Things have changed.  I have had calls asking if it was my company was coming to do their cleaning as they could not remember who the called?  I stated we have done your cleaning in the past.  Their responce" someone in the office used this company and they did a good job and they are cheap. No sence going on as I will have to listen to the cleaners who will say their clients would kill their first born rather than call another carpet cleaner.Guitar

Just My opinion
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>