Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

I need a serious reality check

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
chilanta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need a serious reality check
    Posted: 07/March/2005 at 5:14pm
I agree with all the input. If you need a good deal on a used truck mount unit give me a call. I have one that is for sale. It is listed in the truck mount forum. If you are interested give me a call. My number is listed in the post for the unit. No one is going to make a killing overnight no matter what city youn are in. It takes time and effort.
Sponsored Links

jackblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2005 at 4:06pm
forget the truck and get a Ninja. my one pal made 400k(gross) last year with 1 ninja and 1 rabbit and 2 employees. (all contract, no residential)
BardBlue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BardBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2005 at 3:10pm

Thanks guys, I'm taking it all in. It is good to know what I'm up against, but it seems that whatever direction I look, there is a mountain to climb. The thing is, I hate the instability of the Tech field and getting another job in that field, that will pay the bills, is a mountain in itself. I have looked at a lot of business oportunities that one can start-up with 10K to 15K and carpet cleaning is the only one where every home and just about every business, is a potential customer. There is pool cleaning, lawn care, painting, handyman services, etc. but they all pale in comparrison to the income potential of carpet cleaning, for the time involved.

I am not so concerned about the equipment, I have a knack for finding incredible deals on used, like-new, stuff. I am concerned about an  older Van, but I might go with a trailer. I know there is a pretty steep learning curve, but I think I can conquer it. However, with this all said and done, it means nothing without customers, and this is a serious concern for me.

Anyway, with the input I'm getting from you guys and from my wife, as well as what I am researching in other ways, I will make my decision this week. If I decide to go for it, we can all have fun watching me take this on. I'll either sink, or swim.

Bard Blue
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2005 at 11:36pm
Yup Steamin is right......You got to make sure what ever move you make you can still pay the bills
www.mr-steamer.com
Steaminpile View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2005 at 10:48pm
I would advise trying job before going out on your own,then decide.
A.K.A.
Andy
Superglide Ken View Drop Down
Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

SGK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superglide Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2005 at 9:15pm
Got to be crazy starting up another carpet cleaning company in that city. You got over 400 of them there already. For 1 million people that is alot. If you had more capital, it could be done, but not enough staying power on what you are talking about.
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2005 at 5:09pm

Cleaning business from scratch???  Thats a hard one $15,000 up start money is good but it might not be enough.

I myself after subbing for all these years have decided to put my paddle in the water.  To advertise and get customers.

First reliable equipment is a key to any success, you can't have your stuff breaking down in the middle of a job NEVER!

Second Advertising... this is the area where a lot of us carpet cleaners fall short.  a one time hit isn't going to do it for you... and it can get costy..

Experience.... you have to know what your doing without a doubt

Chemical......... good chemical will lead to good work

Staying power.... I don't think $15,000 is going to give very much staying power..  you have to be prepared if you don't book any calls, that you'll have money still to pay the overhead and take a salary..

I don't know if this has helped you..

All I can say is good luck

www.mr-steamer.com
Zero KELVIN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero KELVIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2005 at 4:16pm

Lobotamy might help

Z

BardBlue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BardBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2005 at 3:22pm

I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

To give you a little background, I am 50 years old, relative good health and am facing a financial crisis, and thus, a finacial crossroads. For the past ten years I have worked in the Telecom industry, khakis, loafers, tie, cubicle and other various articles of hell.  Right now I am unemployed and spinning in circles trying to decide what to do.

My choices are, a.) fight tooth and nail to find another cubicle that will have me, which pays about $20 - $25 an hour. However, I also must spend some considerable off time studying, (without pay), just to remain employable and hopfully get ahead...... Or, b.) Sell off a bunch of my materialistic possesions, which will bring me in about $15,000. With the funds, buy myself a decent, used truck-mount, a running van, whatever chemicals and other tools I might need and start my own carpet cleaning business. I am mechanically inclined and feel confident that I can keep things running until the day comes when I could upgrade.

This is where I need a reality check.

1.) Am I being unrealistic in thinking that I can get a carpet cleaning business up and running in 4 - 5 weeks and learn enough about my equipment, carpet cleaning, carpet charateristics, chemicals, etc. to get me going?

2.) If I hit the pavement running, flyers in hand, knocking on doors, cold calling and whatever else I can do to get customers, 7days a week if needed; am I decieving myself in thinking I could pull in a couple of hundred dollars a day, six days a week, within a month or two?         &n bsp;      I am very meticulous and feel that I would have very satisfied customers. I also live in the Phoenix area, there is plenty of money out here and everyone has carpet in their house and most people also have a substantial amount of tile.

Ultimately, my goal is to build a stable business, making enough to sustain my life needs while working 4 - 6 hours a day, 6 days a week. With my off time, I hope to start another business that will eventually get me out of carpet cleaning and its physical demands. Working in the Telecom, tech field, does not allow much time to do much of what I want in life. Realistically, it doesn't even pay all that well, especially in comparrison to what I am learning a hard working, reliable carpet cleaner pulls in.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I will be putting a lot on the line if I start my own carpet cleaning business and therefore, I am seeking serious input. Pull no punches.

Bard Blue
 Post Reply Post Reply