Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Introduce yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Hi- wanting to start, could use advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/May/2004 at 4:07pm
You know what?  Mr. Tom you have been playing this wanting to get in to business crap for quite awaile.  Why don't you either sh*t or get off the pot?  You seem towant to be wet nursed threw everything.  I think you are just playing everyone for an idiot and playing the part of the hard done by cleaner.Guitar
Just My opinion
Sponsored Links

MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/May/2004 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by doug doug wrote:

You know what?  Mr. Tom you have been playing this wanting to get in to business crap for quite awaile.  Why don't you either sh*t or get off the pot?  You seem towant to be wet nursed threw everything.  I think you are just playing everyone for an idiot and playing the part of the hard done by cleaner.Guitar
wow doug...thats harsh.... did you have your shot gun beside you when you typed that
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/May/2004 at 4:59pm
Mr. Steamer:  Unfortunately one day you have to wakeup and face the real world.  The dream cannot come true if you can't follow through with it.  The bad thing about the real world is your dream amy turn into a nightmare.Guitar
Just My opinion
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/May/2004 at 10:26pm
don't crap on TomR's dreams...
Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/May/2004 at 11:02pm

Tom I see Doug's point, he is getting impatient with you and wants you to get going already.

In some ways you are better off then most people who first start out in the carpet cleaning business. You have already a customer base with your janitorial side of this business.

Start small if you have to, are you looking at the bigger picture and do you feel that if you don't have the best equipment out there then what's the use of jumping into the carpet side?

Nothing wrong with dreaming big but to get there you have to take one step at a time. Take that step Tom some how and some way. Don't ever feel that you can not ask questions here. If some of the people here are tired of answering you then they don't have to post or read what you have to say.   

The Following Statements do not Necessarily Reflect the Views of this Forum Network

http://www.kleenkuip.com
TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/May/2004 at 2:09am

Wow Doug, your a genius!  These whole three weeks that I have been submitting resumes, going to interveiws, and I never realized the answer was right under my nose the whole time.  I'll just "sh*t or get off the pot" and everything will be fine.  The only one being played for a fool here is you, Doug, because that is the way you seem to take things.   Please establish the cause and effect between working for free or for very little and getting rich.  You must be the oldest little punk in the world. 

I know all about reality and the real world, I've been busting my ass for the past ten years to make it happen.  Ok, I put my trust in the wrong person, but that has only taught me to trust only myself.  It is why I won't work for cheap- I have heard miserable old men repeat their cheesy cliches about how you have to work for nothing to make something, but they always fail to provide any logic to back it up.  If I needed nursing I'd work for almost nothing until I was nursed to the point where I knew what I was doing.  But I have taught myself far more complex subjects than carpet cleaning- all I need are the tools. 

Doug, if you don't like what I have to say or if your getting sick of reading my posts, than why are you reading and responding to them?  Just ignore them.  I am curious btw, how many crews are you running?  How big is your business?  How many years did it take you to get there?  I am only asking to gauge the value of your advice. 

TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/May/2004 at 2:30am

Mr. Steamer, thanks for the comments.  I know I will make it.  In one year, I taught myself everything there is to know about vct refinishing and maintenance, took control of the hardfloor operations and expanded the company I was working for from 2 hardfloor accounts to over 70- all in one year, all commercial accounts.  I know carpet is different, but in the next 12 months, I predict the same rate of growth for the commercial cc accounts in my own business.  I also know all about dreams turning into nightmares- the company grew exponentialy but the owner didn't know how to handle it and failed to hire adequate help or develop a business plan (which I was willing to 'nurse' him through).  I ended up working an average of 100 hours a week for about 1200 dollars a month all with the promise of big money and equal partnership in "a few months".   The owner kept taking work on without enough help and pretty soon accounts were quitting because they weren't being serviced.  The whole thing started to collapse and in my struggle to keep it going I agreed to not take a paycheck until everything was stablized.  So I worked the whole first half of 2003 for FREE, until I realized the whole ship was sinking, and I was never going to get paid.  I quit and with several months of back rent due, a son that had just been born a few months before, and no way to recoup my loss in wage, started my own company.   I know what reality is all about and how old miserable men gagging up cheesy cliches about working for low-wages are really just full of sh*t.  I am so ambitious because if I don't see this through to its end 100% I'll feel like all the sacrifices I've made were for nothing.   Now I am at the point where my bills are paid by my business, I know the direction I want it to go in, but I need an infusion of cash to make it happen.  Cleaning carpets for next to nothing ain't gonna cut it. 

wow, that was a really long post lol....

TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/May/2004 at 2:36am
Adwa, I totaly agree with the starting small bit.  No one could be more impatient than me.  I need cash to get the ball rolling, and can't settle for a job thats not going to give me the rate or hours I need.  I really have only made up my mind to do this three weeks ago.  I want to do this on my own within a couple motnhs.  Low paying jobs aren't going to get me there regardless of how much I learn about cc while I am working.  Don't worry, I'll always ask any question that comes into my mind, as you say, people are free to not read them. 
Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2004 at 9:19pm

Hey Tom

I haven't been on much, so busy with baseball. How are things going? You busy or has something exciting happen like winning a lottery ticket.

The Following Statements do not Necessarily Reflect the Views of this Forum Network

http://www.kleenkuip.com
beamer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/September/2004 at 7:50pm

I think hands on is much more important than iicrc certification at the onset . Preferably training with an experinced carpet  cleaner. I have seen a number of ppl fail the course simply because they don't have enough hands on .

The courses are definitly a must though . But janitorial experience does not easily tranfer to carpet cleaning . Thats why it is an expertise in itself .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456