Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Business Marketing Advertising and Promotion Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

How to get new business

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hcciam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/August/2007 at 9:08pm
didn't read to close, did you laddies.

The money I spent on my website initialling was over 6yrs ago.  Now it costs about $250/year.  It more than pays for itself every year with 1 job.  PLUS I have a place to refer people to where I can let them investigate my busn and get good info about choosing a cleaner without me having to spend 15-30minutes on the phone.
AND, should I ever get around to actually marketing the website, ie, just using all the freebie stuff to get it higher in search engines, it will bring in that many more jobs.
I have not regretted spending the money I have on a website.

If you're so busy you never have to worry about any marketing then fine, don't worry about a site. Why waste your money to get work you can't service or have a place to provide info when you have no new people calling.        
Ron Werner
Owner
Happy Carpet Cleaners
Victoria BC
Sponsored Links

cambrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cambrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/September/2007 at 11:07pm
A website is not a must but it definately gets me a much better return than any other advertising I've tried. Also once it is up and running it is pretty much on autopilot with just some weekly updating to keep your good ranking. Updating takes just a few minutes. My site costs me less the $60 per year, including the domain, web space and maintenance. I bring in about 6-10 jobs per month directly attributed to the site.
duckcountry View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/September/2007 at 1:17am
If you have a domain name it will not get you more business.  Add a website and you might get noticed.  But use the domain name for an email address and now you have some perceived credibility.  What looks better on a business card?  bestcarpetcare@aol.com or ceo@bestcarpetcare.com? 

It is expected these days that a business has a domain name along with a phone listing and business license.  Times are a-changin'!  Domain names are cheap and you can get a low cost web presence complete with easy to use email account setup these days.  I might be able to help direct you if you ask real nice.
CCandmore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCandmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/September/2007 at 9:43am
I'm sure you'll get a lot of different answers to your question. Here is what does/doesn't work for me:

The best advertising is word of mouth. Be pleasant, do a very good job and then ask the customer to recommend your service & leave a few extra business cards. If you get a reasonable callback, fix it AT NO EXTRA CHARGE. This will get you a happy customer who says good things about your company. Remember to promise small and deliver big.

I use a yellow pages ad because a lot of people will not remember your name - they just go to the yellow pages. My competition is going to be in there, so I am too. You don't need a full page ad, just get in there and make sure the words "Carpet Cleaning" are prominent. I've found that yellow page ads are overpriced, but I get enough business back to at least break even on the expense.

I advertise in the services section of the local newspaper. I feel that it is also overpriced, but it gets more business and seems to be a better deal in my area than the yellow pages.

I don't go around knocking on doors. I don't want me or my business associated with the pain in the ass people who do that sort of thing. But, if after a residential job you hang 5-10 mailbox/doorknob hangers, this is a cheap and effective way to pick up more business. My hangers say " We cleaned your neighbors carpets today... blah, blah, ... Call for a fee estimate."

Something else I'm considering is leaving a "free" bottle of spot remover with my company name and number printed on the bottle. Some suppliers (Ted?) offer this type of product. I'm thinking if they've still got the bottle in the cabinet, they'll grab it instead of the phone book when they want carpet cleaning. If anybody has tried this, I'd like to know if it's effective.
duckcountry View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/September/2007 at 1:34pm
My work comes from repeat, word of mouth and a consistent canvassing of the same neighborhoods ever month.  And that is the order by work volume.  If I don't do the third one, I will lose out on the growth of the first one which drives the second source.

Got to plant the trees and then care for them if you expect a fruitful crop every year.  And the real money comes from repeat customers because no advertising costs are involved in those sales dollars.
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12