Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Portable Carpet Steam Cleaning Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Moving Furniture

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving Furniture
    Posted: 14/November/2008 at 2:28pm
Anybody out there that does not move furniture? What has been your experiences good and bad? Have you lost customers because you don't move furniture? What is the average cost per room you charge when not moving?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

duckcountry View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/November/2008 at 3:27am
I let them know I don't move electronics, heavy furniture or antiques.  I also do not move furniture that they put things on just to get them off the floor.  It really depends on how confidently and matter-of-fact sincere your approach is that determines the degree of reaction at all.  Blame it on your insurance policy.

I charge less for an empty room than an occupied one.  Depends on how well the carpet was cared for an the degree of effort, chemicals and time needed to restore the carpet that sets price for me.  I need to inspect the job and NO, I don't have any hard fast rule of what I charge.  I can charge $150 or $550, depends on the job.  Prices are firm, non-negotiable. 
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?
luvsnow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvsnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/November/2008 at 11:03am
On my website I list what I will move and what I will not move. I'll move pretty much anything except for filled China cabinets, bookshelves with books, entertainment centers, tables with breakables, and instruments such as pianos. In other words if I don't feel comfortable moving it or can't get foam blocks under it, I'm not moving it. If someone wants me to clean under these items, then I ask that they move them before I get there. Most people understand why you won't move these items, but some people I'm sure won't. Just do what duckcountry says and blame it on your insurance policy. I'm sure you will encounter some people who don't want their furniture moved for whatever reason too.

If the room is cleaned out and I don't have to move anything then I charge them less because I can get done faster and use less labor. If I have to move furniture then I charge more because more time and labor is involved.
prouddadx3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prouddadx3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/November/2008 at 6:17pm
I tell people that I move sofas love seats and recliners. If they want me to move furniture I charge an extra .20 cents a sq. ft.  I have coupons that come out to either .20 or .30 a sq. ft. depending on the method of choice. Almost nobody pays the extra .20 a sq. ft to  have me move the furniture and I don't think I loose too many customers.

http:////www.colorado-carpet-masters.com/carpetcleaningBoulder.htm
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/November/2008 at 7:36pm
If they are willing to go on a contract with you for 4 cleanings per year you might do it for free the first time out just to get the carpets in the rooms as clean as is possible.  Then no moving at 3 and 9 months, light moving at 6 months and more moving at one year.

But for one shot cleaning, less is best.  And insurance is a good reason ( if no the health of your back ).

Special treatment is for contractual customers only in my book.  Monthly checking account deductions or credit card deductions through Subscriptions at Paypal are the answer.  If they are paying even payments monthly you have a loyal customer.  If they break the contract you can always sue for the balance or for services rendered at non-contractual rates and win in court due to breach of contract.  And don't worry about losing potential future customers because you sued them since the potential customers being directed to you by that customer are as they say peas-in-a-pod, all cut from the same cloth.

Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prouddadx3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/November/2008 at 10:45am
I agree. Your back is a very important asset and you only have one. If it breaks, no mortgage, food, clothes, gummy bears.....

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prouddadx3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/November/2008 at 10:50am
How many of you use automatic Hose reels? Do you like them?

Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/November/2008 at 3:32pm
Not with a porty.  And of course not with bonnets. Uh,%20uh,%20uh
CCandmore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCandmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/November/2008 at 12:50am
I don't move anything breakable, too heavy to push easy with carpet glides, or lots of electronic hook-ups.  I charge extra when I have to move more than just chair and sofa.  Still, I never average as much $ per hour as without moving.  I like commercial business more and more. 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prouddadx3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/November/2008 at 7:09am
I think you bring up a great point. If we are moving furniture we are not cleaning. It can double the time at a job moving furniture and getting pads underneath. About once a year I would get a Tech forget pads on a piece of furniture. What a great chance for a dye transfer!
 Post Reply Post Reply