Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Portable Carpet Steam Cleaning Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

new company

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M_MONAHAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new company
    Posted: 10/February/2009 at 11:43pm
Hey guys I am starting a new carpet and tile company in the chicago-land area.  I know there are a million ways to quote jobs.  I was wondering what everyone thought of going pretty much all-inclusive except for scotch-guard is an extra fee.  Also I have a ton of companies asking me for advertising  what seems to work the best.  I have a new website being built by web.com  and that includes some advertising and a listing in yellowpages.com  I also have a rep from DEX trying to get at my money but she seems a little high in price for what she is offeriing.  What about craigslist or kijiji.com  Has anyone had much success with those as well??  I have been in the industry for a little over 2 years now and have attended the proper classes.  Just trying to get some info on marketing.  I am going with Rotovac 360's and for now portable extractors.  any help will be greatly appriciated.  Thanks guys.  Smile
Sponsored Links

CCandmore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCandmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/February/2009 at 8:27am

“All-inclusive”: I assume that means you don’t bump up the price with hidden charges.  Customers hate it when the bill is more than they were led to believe – wouldn’t you?  If you want to do business this way, you might as well work for Stanley Steamer.  It’s fine to give estimates over the phone, but make sure the customer is OK with the actual price before you clean because you will need to charge extra for scotch guard, deodorizer, and some time-consuming spot removals like candle wax or those ##*@! Red stains.  Otherwise, I do include spots in with the regular price.  (As far as spot removal goes, always promise small and deliver big.  Anything you tell the customer before cleaning is a “reason”.  The same explanation after cleaning is an “excuse”.)

As for marketing, Dex is a waste of money.  Even without it, when they get the Dex Yellow Page/ Iinternet thing set up, you can still pull up your biz on a Dex search and get them to show your biz name, phone no., and web address.  Local newspaper ads help, but whether they are worth it depends on the cost..  Radio is too expensive and too hit or miss.  Get good signing for your vehicle.  Ted on KleenKuip has some kind of van-exterior business card holders.  I would think in a big city these would be very effective.  Get a good (not huge) Yellow pages ad.  When you have a satisfied customer, leave some extra cards and ask them to let their friends know, if its a neighborhood leave a few mailbox hangers.  Any groups your involved in like church, softball, little league, Lion’s Club, etc. let them know what your doing. Craigslist is free – use it.  Do call on restaurants during their non-peak hours.  Just a quick price, biz card, answer any questions, and go ahead and ask for the appointment to clean if you are talking to the manager.  You might offer a ˝ price to show what you can do, just make sure they know it’s ˝ price.  For business cards, check out Overnight Prints http://www.overnightprints.com/main.php?A=qual&ONPSESS=58b1d148be77c37eac545a8f21dada12

Good Luck

CCandmore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCandmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/February/2009 at 8:32am
Whoops, I accidentally hit "post.".  I meant to PM that "big city" advertising advice from a small town hick.  Alright boys, go ahead and Slice & Dice me.  I can take with a smile. Big%20smile
FuzzSucker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzSucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/February/2009 at 8:57pm
Thats all really good advice. I personally got sick of craigslist a few years ago but i am considering it again. My issue was that you seem to get alot of calls that are some of the nastiest carpets you have ever seen and of course because its craigslist they want it done dirt cheap. Maybe its gotten better. I dont know.

In regards to your equipment I love the RV360...when its needed, I dont leave the office without it, but dont throw out the wand. Its faster and better in many situations.

Also the way I look at it is that you can deal with using a portable for a while, but once you go truck you never go back.

Good luck out there
Fuzz
M_MONAHAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M_MONAHAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/February/2009 at 11:36pm
Fuzz & CC-   Thanks so much for taking some time out to answer my questions.  I am for sure going to be putting some graphics on my vehical for adverting.  The web page should be up hopefully by end of next week.  CC what is the exterior bus. card holders you are speaking of?  CC I am still getting info on some portibles but once some funds are saved up I will be going truck mounted.  Just need to get a couple jobs under the belt for me and the bank account. lol.  Thanks again and if anyone still has any more info please keep it comming.
CCandmore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCandmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/February/2009 at 8:53am
Go to KleenKuip's website http://www.kleenkuip.com/products/vehicle-pockets.htm
Click on "Products".  They are called vehicle pockets.
CCandmore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCandmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/February/2009 at 10:14am

By the way Carpetologist, what is the purchase price of the vehicle pockets?

duckcountry View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/February/2009 at 1:57pm
I have them on my van, got them on ebay 3 years ago.  They are a great conversation piece at the very least.
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?
M_MONAHAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M_MONAHAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/February/2009 at 5:23pm
Wow those are cool.  I can't say I have seen those before.  Duckcountry you think you gain any/alot of business from these??  I am going to have to invest in some of these i think.ClapClapClapClap
duckcountry View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/February/2009 at 2:41am
It is a culmination of everything I do to set myself apart from the competition, the things that make the difference both big and small that get me more business including giving value at every turn.
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?
 Post Reply Post Reply