Printed Date: 06/May/2024 at 12:46pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cleaning Cost
Posted By: Steve Roscoe
Subject: Cleaning Cost
Date Posted: 23/September/2006 at 12:34am
Hey Guys/Gals
Question 1:
I was wondering if anyone has a cost per square foot, materials costs only. Or say 100 sq ft.

I know we are all subject to many factors, but for a general over all cost.

Question 2:
What is your average sq ft per hour. that would inclued basic sofa+chair+table move.
100 sq ft = 1.5 hrs (exsample)
- again all factors aside general carpet dirt/wear.

-------------
It's not clean until it's dry

Replies:
Posted By: LilNiteRidrhood
Date Posted: 23/September/2006 at 10:42am
100 sq ft??
Jeez the cost of set up and take down makes the equation irrelevant.

Posted By: HeartlandSteam
Date Posted: 23/September/2006 at 1:02pm
Im not really sure what your trying to ask in question 1.  Do you mean what to charge the customer per sq ft?  Or what it will cost you to clean per sq ft?

I've come to the conclusion that my cost of goods are about 14% of my total sales.  10% for gas, and 4% for chemicals.  Now these percentages are going to be different every day, obvioiusly if you have 1 job thats $1,000 your not going to spend $140 in cost of goods (chemicals, gas.) But you'd probably spend alot more than 10% in gas if you had 10 $100 jobs.  As far as charging the customer, it depends on how big a pain in the ass you think it will be.  Anywhere from .25 cents a sq ft, to .50 cents a sq ft.  Thats what I charge at least, im sure there are others on this forum who charge differently.

Your second question.  I'd say 750 - 1,000 sq ft per hour.  Might be more, might be less, depending on how dirty the carpet is, or how much furniture your moving.

-------------
http://www.heartlandsteamcleaning.com

Posted By: doug
Date Posted: 23/September/2006 at 2:01pm
I am glad you have no other business expenses like insurance advertisng wages or say repairs or payments nothing?? You are a lucky one??

-------------
Just My opinion

Posted By: Steve Roscoe
Date Posted: 23/September/2006 at 2:46pm

Travis

Thank you, and yes just the cost of chemicals was the basic question

Being a engineer by trade I need to know the cost factors if im going to enjoy this new career. 

Gezz

I guess I didn’t write it in American

Hood - 100 sq ft = 1.5 hrs (example)  ß where did I say that was mine?

Materials costs only -  I figured that was a gimme

I offered 100 sq ft because it’s easy to sample  that size/area

Doug   who doesn’t have those costs I mean really – and material only 

I read a post that complained about all the non members not supporting just surfing in and out so I figured I would stop and sign up and I asked my question and man do I regret that.

You guys do a bang up job.   Clap

-------------
It's not clean until it's dry

Posted By: MR. STEAMER
Date Posted: 23/September/2006 at 5:13pm
LOL Roscoe.... it's kind of a hard question to answer...thats why...  a lot of factors factor into the equation...

1. type of chemical...I'm I using home depots Zep or cheap soap??? or am I using the good stuff??
2. how dirty is the carpet????
3. what type of carpet???
4. what type of staining???
5. am I measuring the solutions or am I just doing the free pour???
6. who's water am I using?
7. do I have an unboard softner
8. do I texitle rinse always???

if I would say ball park... maybe 5 cents for 100 sq ft just in chem...but the above factors play a part..

it's a broad question to answer...

I look at the bigger picture.....getting the Jobs... I do from 80 to 120 jobs per month...which works out to around 200 to 300 dollars in just chemical at least... more if the sales of scotchgard and deo are poppin

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Posted By: Michael
Date Posted: 23/September/2006 at 7:21pm
Steamer is right, Roscoe. It's a really hard question to answer well.

My basic prespray for 100 sq ft costs me maybe twenty cents. The rinsing agent I use is probably about another twenty cents. If I'm going all out with boosters and spotters and a good deodorizing treatment, I'd guess maybe 5.00, and that's an outside figure.

How many square feet per hour, as others have said, not only depends on how dirty the carpet is, but the layout of the house, the type of equipment, and the specific process you use. I use an RX-20 with a portable unit and buff afterwards. I take longer than the average guy.

So, all due respect, I don't think your first question is nearly as important as just about any other financial question you should concern yourself with. And the answer to the second question is very subjective.

Date Posted: 23/September/2006 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by doug doug wrote:

I am glad you have no other business expenses like insurance advertisng wages or say repairs or payments nothing?? You are a lucky one??

Doug I said Cost of Goods NOT fixed costs.  Im sure no one really wants me to itemize out all my bills, but if you want me to I can.

I think some people are having problems just like me on this forum, I sometimes ask questions, or even respond to others questions and get nothing but grief for trying to help people.  This behavior im sure prevents people from wanting to be members and participate in this forum.

-------------

Date Posted: 23/September/2006 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by LilNiteRidrhood LilNiteRidrhood wrote:

100 sq ft??
Jeez the cost of set up and take down makes the equation irrelevant.

Yes the question was very broad, but instead of mocking the person asking, you could have ignored the post or asked the person for more information.  Obviously the guy who asked the question is new to carpet cleaning, so he probably does not know industry lingo. Nor does it sound like he knows much about carpet cleaning in general, that is why he is here.  Give him a break, and anyone for that matter who is asking questions on this forum.

-------------

Date Posted: 23/September/2006 at 9:16pm
The cost of goods is the least of your costs.  How you mix, how you apply hydro force or pumpup who mixes them what the dilution rate what the coverage rate is. You buy cheap you use more. You buy quality chems you use less. If you use soft water and have a good tm you use less compared to a portable. If you use op and use good encap juice maybe cost alittle more.  Trying to put a square footage price or production rate to this question is just not going to happen. Unless you just want to brag about how good you are and how much you make. I don't qualify for either as I am not the professional the rest of you seem to be.

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 23/September/2006 at 9:37pm

The cost of goods is the least of your costs.  How you mix, how you apply hydro force or pumpup who mixes them what the dilution rate what the coverage rate is. You buy cheap you use more. You buy quality chems you use less. If you use soft water and have a good tm you use less compared to a portable. If you use op and use good encap juice maybe cost alittle more.  Trying to put a square footage price or production rate to this question is just not going to happen. Unless you just want to brag about how good you are and how much you make. I don't qualify for either as I am not the professional the rest of you seem to be.

Yes, cost of goods is the least expense you will have.  But that is what he was inquiring about, so that is the information I tried to give him.  Of course you cannot put an exact amount on production rate. But for me, I use good chems, and pretty much use the same thing in every household, or every restaurant, or every business or whatever it may be.  And after years of cleaning, that is about the average cost of my goods.  I dont see how its so difficult to calculate this.  Of course its going to be different for everyone because everyone has different methods or chemicals they use.  Thats just what it is for me.   And whos bragging Doug?  Im just trying to help the poor guy.

-------------

Date Posted: 24/September/2006 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Michael Michael wrote:

I'd guess maybe 5.00, and that's an outside figure.

wow per 100sq ft??? 10x10 ...all of 5 bucks????? I think thats a lot just for chemical... The average house costs about 15 to 25 bucks total to clean with a truckmount...  avereage house meaning 5 areas + steps

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Posted By: dennis_is_ok
Date Posted: 24/September/2006 at 1:57pm
if you're not a regular you will get flamed here.
then once you're here for a while, you'll get flamed or ignored again and again.

Date Posted: 24/September/2006 at 2:14pm
I said if I was going all out on a tough carpet with spotters, boosters, and a good deodorizing treatment that it might get as high as 5.00. But you're right--even that sounds high. If I'm using an expensive booster like Knock-It-Out, which is 90.00 for a gallon, then it could get that high. But like I said, that's an outside figure.

Posted By: thermedix
Date Posted: 24/September/2006 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by dennis_is_ok dennis_is_ok wrote:

if you're not a regular you will get flamed here.
then once you're here for a while, you'll get flamed or ignored again and again.

I agree   Some guys make themselves feel good by making someone else feel bad,
 Your question is valid and you have some good responces,  there is a lot of good experience on this board, but there is some major ego as well.
It`s a great business, and this is a valuable resource as a guideline.
Good Luck!

-------------
It`s not how far you fall...it`s how high you bounce back up...

Date Posted: 24/September/2006 at 4:24pm
I agree

Date Posted: 24/September/2006 at 7:35pm
Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: nightrider
Date Posted: 24/September/2006 at 8:08pm
There is also alot of knowledge here, Lilniteridrhood ( General Lee) is the foremost expert here, others with alot of experience would be Mr. Steamer,............... Doug , .....Cleanex........... Ted ( Owner of KleenKuip )............CMaster.....and many others

They sometimes forget what a simple question looks like, because they are now mastering high tech problems forced upon them from the carpet industry.......I suppose some questions here look like " How much is 1 x 1, then getting asked why the answer is 1..........

This is a Great forum with alot of talent,   but some here don't like to share their toys and don't play well with others LOL.......That's why the KleenKuip Forum is a GREAT family to belong to..........TED'S  OUR  DADDY  Upper

Nightrider

Posted By: dennis_is_ok
Date Posted: 24/September/2006 at 8:41pm
There's a few Canadians here who think they are the best f-n cleaner on the continent!

Originally posted by thermedix thermedix wrote:

Originally posted by dennis_is_ok dennis_is_ok wrote:

if you're not a regular you will get flamed here. then once you're here for a while, you'll get flamed or ignored again and again.

[IMG]height=46 alt="I agree" src="http://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/smileys/smilesiagree.gif" width=41 align=absMiddle>   Some guys make themselves feel good by making someone else feel bad,

Your question is valid and you have some good responces,  there is a lot of good experience on this board, but there is some major ego as well.

It`s a great business, and this is a valuable resource as a guideline.

Good Luck!

Date Posted: 24/September/2006 at 11:04pm
The best advise I can give anyone is just go out and clean... the more you clean the better you'll get... There won't be a problem you won't recognize....
There won't be a problem you can't fix...

You'll get to know carpet types...fabric types.... even customer types...

Practise at home on your own stuff...test cleaning methods on your own stuff...a few scrap pieces of carpet don't hurt...

Get to know your equipment... test your equipment...fix your equipment

come here read...learn post...so what you get flamed...I get flamed all the time...big deal...getting flamed is part of the learning....

I rather get flamed here and learn...than go to someone house and destroy their carpet....

you have to excuse some of us...we are carpet cleaners first and formost...  It's not easy to sit and type everything there is to know when a question is asked.  A lot of this stuff has been asked and answered many many times since this forum started...

But if I can help...I'll try my best

I CLEAN CARPET 6 DAYS A WEEK...I AM MR. STEAMER or to some of you Older Members THE SEARS BITCH...lolLOL

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Posted By: cmaster
Date Posted: 24/September/2006 at 11:29pm
Summed up very wellI agree

Posted By: nightrider
Date Posted: 25/September/2006 at 2:00am
Now you know why he is .MR. STEAMER.....when he has something to say......he lets off a bunch of steam...BUT................HE'S RIGHT.......All of what he said is TRUE..Steamer is a No Nonsence type of guy as are many others on this site but they don't bite, you just have to expect straight hard core answers.....................

Nightrider

Posted By: jtuseo
Date Posted: 25/September/2006 at 10:02am
I get between .30-.50 a square foot

-------------
WWW.PREFERREDCARPETCLEANING.COM

Date Posted: 25/September/2006 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by jtuseo jtuseo wrote:

I get between .30-.50 a square foot
What's your point?
Do you want a medal or a chest to pin it on??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 25/September/2006 at 2:32pm
jtuseo... ya got a flyer or a price list????

I always wondered how guys who charge by the sq ft with changing prices advertise????

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 25/September/2006 at 8:03pm

I used to advertise my prices just to pi$$ others off?? People would have the total of the bill ready when I got there.

-------------
Just My opinion

Posted By: jtuseo
Date Posted: 26/September/2006 at 9:05pm
I dont have a price list what I do is this I will run specials. Like two rooms $120 includes prespray & deodorizer. A basement is considered 2 rooms & a living room dining room combo is two rooms. Most rooms are under 175 square feet so you do the math. Then I get $20 per room for scotchgard

-------------
WWW.PREFERREDCARPETCLEANING.COM

Date Posted: 27/September/2006 at 12:30am
wow 120 for 2 rooms???

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 27/September/2006 at 11:19am
Keep in mind, he's in New York. Everything's more expensive there.

Date Posted: 27/September/2006 at 3:13pm
naw not really... they have the 5.95 a room guys...and tons of them..

I think there are more carpet cleaners than people in New York

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 27/September/2006 at 3:38pm
All this talk about prices?? I only wish I was as well off as all you rich cleaners who charge all the big bucks?? maybe someday? But until then I guess I will survive?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 27/September/2006 at 7:04pm
Look at it this way....the customers only get hit up once a year...if you don't bend them over...they'll bend you over...

just do it with a smileSmile

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 27/September/2006 at 11:44pm
And do it at least 20 times a weekLOL

Date Posted: 28/September/2006 at 2:47pm
I don't look at it that way??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 28/September/2006 at 9:15pm
doug whats your call average???

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 28/September/2006 at 9:57pm
No comment? I don't like averages. Besides I don't have all the masses of people you guys have to choose from? I cannot comment as I am not in the same league as you guys are making the mega bucks and all?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 28/September/2006 at 10:12pm

No comment? I don't like averages. Besides I don't have all the masses of people you guys have to choose from? I cannot comment as I am not in the same league as you guys are making the mega bucks and all?
who ya playin for the fool..lol

doug you clean the mother the grand parents and the children... you'll probally clean the great grands..

Gavins is a way of life in goderich

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Posted By: Hammy
Date Posted: 28/September/2006 at 10:41pm
 If you move to Goderrich it is required by law that you have your carpets cleaned by Gavins

-------------
Could somebody just clean my carpets!

Date Posted: 29/September/2006 at 6:12am
I could only wish? There has been 2 or 4 new startup in the last couple of months even a SEARS reject is here with bells & whistles?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 29/September/2006 at 8:43am

Goderich must be where all the new carpet cleaners start outOuch

Date Posted: 29/September/2006 at 5:26pm
 Doug: if it is the same guy that used to live just north of Kincardine your sales should go up.Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 29/September/2006 at 7:13pm
This Doug never lived north of Kincardine? Worked north at the Bruce for some years but that's it? Always lived South in Goderich?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 29/September/2006 at 7:18pm
Doug: I should of mentioned I was talking about your Sears guy.

-------------

Date Posted: 29/September/2006 at 8:40pm
Oh you mean a STEAMER Clone??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 29/September/2006 at 9:13pm
 There Everyware! Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: 29/September/2006 at 9:20pm
I think  they are body snachers?? They just seem to inflict their disease on completely innocent, hard working honest people? Turn them into complete idiots?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 29/September/2006 at 9:39pm

It's a disease.Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 29/September/2006 at 10:22pm
Is there a cure?Ouch

Date Posted: 29/September/2006 at 10:44pm

I think so. I heard the last guy that thought he was cured tried to put an antique Clean Cold unit in a 05 Savana van? So I guess the cure was definately a failure??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 29/September/2006 at 10:46pm
Ahhhh nothing wrong with a cleanco... unit is a unit...work excellent just as good as a prochem

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Posted By: Ninja-wand
Date Posted: 29/September/2006 at 11:02pm
"unit is a unit"-Steamer

I disagree!! Not all units are created equal.Uh, uh, uh

-------------
I'll make you TAP OUT!!!

Date Posted: 29/September/2006 at 11:34pm
That's right. Cleanco's are uniqueLOL

Date Posted: 30/September/2006 at 8:50am
unique or in Steamer's case antique??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 30/September/2006 at 11:30am
Antiques are worth a lot of moneyWink

Date Posted: 30/September/2006 at 12:10pm
IT'S A 97 CLEANCO....I'm not worried about the unit....I'm worked about the old truck the unit is in....

if I could I would buy 2 brand new cleanmores.....in 2 brand new trucks...but I's hard to find the 160k to do it

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net