Print Page | Close Window

Easiest Way to get started

Printed From: Carpet Cleaning Forum
Category: Carpet Cleaners Discussion
Forum Name: Encapsulation, Very Low Moisture, Oscillating Pad Cleaning
Forum Description: Discuss anything relating to very low moisture, encap and oscillating pad cleaning
URL: https://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3564
Printed Date: 29/April/2024 at 2:03am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Easiest Way to get started
Posted By: bgray22
Subject: Easiest Way to get started
Date Posted: 18/March/2007 at 10:43pm
If I were to start this business with little to no experience in carpet cleaning what would be the best way to start? I'm thinking about doing some training and going the OP route because it just seems a lot easier for the operator and a lot cheaper than a TM or anything like that.

I was also wondering if the complete business package from ccsop is actually the complete package? Could I get away with using that for a one man operation doing carpet and simple tile/grout work in both res. and commercial settings?

Replies:
Posted By: dennis_is_ok
Date Posted: 18/March/2007 at 11:10pm
are you from US or CAN

Posted By: opclean
Date Posted: 18/March/2007 at 11:41pm
Hey bgrey. Some on here will disagreewith my answer. It would have to be yes. You can make some very good cash.And most important HAPPY CUSTOMERS. With a o.p machine.Give John a call and he will get you going in the wright direction. Nothing against High Dollar Truckmounts. They can do a great job. But so can you with a o.p

-------------
Cleaning carpets is like a box of chocolate.You dont know what ya got till ya bite into it.

Posted By: Ninja-wand
Date Posted: 19/March/2007 at 12:38am
Bgrey,I Have the complete package from CCS. It can clean carpets...But, it aint no TM.

If youre planning to get a whole OP set-up. Then, I also recommend getting yourself a portable extractor. Op aint gonna cut it on every job.

John's BIz package is 7K. If you dont have a truck to carry all that equipments...Then you would also need to invest in a truck. Lastly, to be fully versatile...YOu would also need to purchase a portable extractor (highly recommended).

Add all that up and it aint cheap. For about the same price (or less)...You can get yourself a decent used TM with everything you would need to get started.

-------------
I'll make you TAP OUT!!!

Posted By: PadMan
Date Posted: 19/March/2007 at 8:00am
Ninja, buy a TM and then ADD all the TOOLS to make it do everything, add an RX, add a Turbo, add this and that and a LONG list of chemicals to clean with.

Op, doens't cut it on every job? Humm, I turn down NO WORK have a great rep here and ONLY use OP. It is all about learning how to use it period.

Bgray, give the office a call at 859-744-5332 but wait until tomorrow when Patty is back in the office, she will answer any and all your questions.

-------------
Converting HWE customer to VLM customers for 30 Years!

Posted By: John L
Date Posted: 19/March/2007 at 11:52am

Buy a used rotary for around $200 save yourself $1000's for that TM... Yes, TM.. You will feel more Professional, more Confident, You will have a big smile on your face.. I have TM Big smile, porty LOL and rotary.LOL

I've pulled in my rotary to aggitate and you want to know how many ppl said "Your not going to clean my carpet with that, are you"?...

Now what would you have done if that's all you had??????????

Posted By: CleanEvo
Date Posted: 19/March/2007 at 12:25pm
    I agree with Ninja-wand...if you go the OP route you'll want to get a portable HWE extractor. You will have situations where a hot water extraction will be required, also for upholstery it is great.

Depending on your budget, you could get started with a good portable and a 17" OP and you're in business...you'll be able to a very decent job in most situations. If you do end up getting a TM you'll need the portable anyways for a back up.

Remember, regardless of how much you spend on equipment up front...you will need operating capital and $$$ for marketing...as well as all the other overhead that comes with running a business. Most important of all...write your plan and budget down on paper...a good business plan is the best investment of time you will make.

-------------
"The best compliment is a referal"

Posted By: MR. STEAMER
Date Posted: 19/March/2007 at 1:21pm
I've seen the OP fail....I've seen hwe fail...I've seen the cimex fail...

Padman everyone knows your sucesses, show us some failures....it makes you more real.

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 19/March/2007 at 3:06pm
I'll be sure to post one when I have one Steamer, but don't have any to show yet! But I am a newbie, only done this 33 years, so I am sure there are a few I haven't seen yet, and when I get it, I will post pics of it... DEAL?

-------------

Date Posted: 19/March/2007 at 3:09pm
Padman ..You know as well as I do that there are none...you are a professional you'll always make it work,

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 19/March/2007 at 3:30pm
"Ninja, buy a TM and then ADD all the TOOLS to make it do everything, add an RX, add a Turbo, add this and that and a LONG list of chemicals to clean with."-JOhn G.

Oh, pUhleEez JOhn!! WHat you just said above is just weak. First off all...WHo said he needed a RX?? Anywho, I bet that I can get this dude EVERYTHING (includes Chems galore)he needs for under 10k.

I know how you like to compare prices between OP and a TM and try to make OP look like a GREAT deal. BUt, as you can see...Its not that much of a great deal.

Ive talked to quite a few of Op cleaners and they all agree that OP has some short comings and one would need (at least a portable)to have HWE capability.BUt, JOhn is the only one that can clean EVERYTHING with only OP and has no problems EVER. I wish I can be a OP god like JOhn one day.

Steemer is right...Maybe you should also admit that OP has somes flaws (like all systems).That would make it more realistic.

Wait...But, If you did....You wouldnt be able to sell as many machines. Ahhhh, I understand now.

-------------
I'll make you TAP OUT!!!

Date Posted: 19/March/2007 at 4:33pm
Oh, pUhleEez JOhn!! WHat you just said above is just weak. First off all...WHo said he needed a RX?? Anywho, I bet that I can get this dude EVERYTHING (includes Chems galore)he needs for under 10k.

You know, without the other TOOLS, that cost as MUCH as OP, you will in NO WAY get as good of results, if you think a plain wand by itself is better cleaning, then you might not have been doing this too long.

You ASSumptions of "selling more machines" is off base, I practice what I preach, I take pictures to show, (good and bad alike) of what I do, I can stand the muster on its own no matter what you THINK.

That god comment was childish as well, I do this for a living, I master what I do, I have too to be successful, that only makes me a good padder, nothing else.

If YOU mastered it, you would do the same, but sometimes HAVING to rely on this and that method, you NEVER master what you do. Some people are jacks of all methods, masters of NONE.

-------------

Date Posted: 19/March/2007 at 9:06pm
1: WHo said anything about only cleaning with just a wand?? If he needs aggitation...a rotary will be more than enough. Therfore, No need for a RX.

2: YOu take pictures of good and bad?? LMAO!! SHow me ONE pic. that you posted that was a "bad" Op job.

3: God comment??...HOw was that childish??...You should take it as a compliment. Btw, I can say god damn this and god damn that on here all day long and you still cant ban me (makes your blood boil dont it??!!).

4: ANd I guess youre the only one that truely "mastered" OP john?? SO, I guess all the padders that Ive talked to (from paddyland that you respect)that also depends on HWE havent mastered it yet??...Do we need to practice it for 30yrs. to be great like you??

Bottomline, Bgray...I advise you to talk to other cleaners that do both OP and HWE and get their opinions. DOnt just hear one side from salesmen.

-------------
I'll make you TAP OUT!!!

Posted By: carpetologist
Date Posted: 20/March/2007 at 12:34am
bgray22,

I have one of my OP Activators coming in on a trade this week. Customer claims he hardly used it. It will go up on this site under used equipment with price when it comes in.

-------------
Kleen Kuip Supply Mart Inc.

http://www.kleenkuip.com - New & Used Professional Carpet Cleaning Machines, Restoration Equipment, Training, Service and Supplies

Date Posted: 20/March/2007 at 1:18am
bgray... I would play it safe and buy both.

padman is good at op because he lives it......I love my steam clean because I live it too....

I will tell you that both have their down falls....no method is the end all be all.

if you pick one or the other I would say master it...but never close your eyes to another method.

just be all that you can be with the tools in your box.

I say add them all you can never have enough tools

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 20/March/2007 at 11:26am

1: WHo said anything about only cleaning with just a wand?? If he needs aggitation...a rotary will be more than enough. Therfore, No need for a RX.

That is my point, MORE TOOLS, the TM won't do it by itself.

2: YOu take pictures of good and bad?? LMAO!! SHow me ONE pic. that you posted that was a "bad" Op job.

That SHOULD be self explanatory

3: God comment??...HOw was that childish??...You should take it as a compliment. Btw, I can say god damn this and god damn that on here all day long and you still cant ban me (makes your blood boil dont it??!!).

Wow, that makes you quite a man to be able to cuss... thanks for proving my point

4: ANd I guess youre the only one that truely "mastered" OP john?? SO, I guess all the padders that Ive talked to (from paddyland that you respect)that also depends on HWE havent mastered it yet??...Do we need to practice it for 30yrs. to be great like you??   

No, several others have too, and yet I agree with Steamers comments, honest, truthful and shows thought and perspective on things. You on the other hand have a grudge, and you need to get over it.

I am one method, but you must be able to imagine why, it is my JOB to deal with any situation using the method I sell, is it ALWAYS the fastest? NO, but for the many people who we put in business it is imperative that I can show them HOW to clean in any given situation.

If they add tools, they CAN make thier jobs easier.

-------------

Date Posted: 20/March/2007 at 12:14pm
Padman people are affraid to see.. I would use an OP because I know what it can do.

practise and patients make a good job.

the more you clean the better you get, if you are just a weekend warrior or you don;t get very many jobs no method is going to work 100% for you.

A true cleaner has seen everything...all types of soil patterns...carpet types. I can tell many of my customer what goes on in their house just by looking at the carpet.

no amount of tools can help you if you don't have the experience of how to use them.

what ever your choice get out and get jobs only by failure will you ever become great

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 20/March/2007 at 1:33pm
Steamer i did a job the other day and can tell you everything that kid had for lunch. Am i good or what.    

-------------
Cleaning carpets is like a box of chocolate.You dont know what ya got till ya bite into it.

Date Posted: 20/March/2007 at 2:14pm
Thats what I call professional....

I think when you first start you have to clean as much carpet as you can to gain knowledge and experience.

don't be afraid to fail and get a call back from the customer because that is the only way you will ever learn.

good thing we have msg boards around....if we have problems or need insight there is someone that will always shed some light.

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 20/March/2007 at 2:34pm
Steamer your right. Practice makes perfect. At least thats what my wife tells me.LOL But i really think with a o.p machine you have a lot less chance of goofin up a carpet. They are very easy to get the results customers are looking for. I am a newbie at it and have had no complaints yet. I have got alot of tips when were walking out the door.

-------------

Date Posted: 20/March/2007 at 2:39pm
opclean and the great thing is your only going to get better. Padman is the best example 33 years of cleaning

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 20/March/2007 at 2:50pm
WOW Thats scarey. I can only hope. I love doing sec 8 rentals with this thing always impressed. I talked with Padman today via phone, sure does know what hes talkin about. Enjoyed our chat.

-------------

Date Posted: 20/March/2007 at 3:54pm
of course he's going to like you...you're a padder..LOL

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 20/March/2007 at 3:56pm
Youre right,You not taking pics. of "bad" OP job is self explanatory. Thats cause you dont want people to see that flaws of OP.

Ive heard many many stories where padders spent countless hours and still cant get the carpet clean and they had to whip out HWE.

Just because I tell it like it is doesnt mean I hold a grudge against you, WHich I dont. Steamer makes some good points...BUt, I just dont sugar coat it like he does.

ps-I dont cuss much. I just do it on here to piss you off...YOu god damn hillbilly.

-------------
I'll make you TAP OUT!!!

Date Posted: 20/March/2007 at 4:05pm
LOL you have to have faith NW...I've seen bad hwe jobs too where an op machine has made it better and vise versa.

NW if John doesn't believe and promote his product I wouldn't buy it.

NW if you don't believe in and promote your service you wouldn't have any business...

and thats the magic word "BUSINESS"

When Customer asks me I tell them I'm the best....and would you put a picture of a bad job on your flyer or ad...NOPE

seriously it's unethical to down your own product...

all these tm's have all the same parts same blowers same pumps but yets everyone believes that their product is the best.

My service is the best...I'm sure your is too NW

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 20/March/2007 at 4:22pm
YOure right on dude. Ive also seen HWE disaster...And, I hear about many of the OP flaws. What pisses me off is that JOhn is a one sided guy (I can see why). He doesnt like to admit that OP has flaws.

Some TM may have the same componants. BUt, The way that they are built that makes them different. SOme uses quailty parts , while other tries to save a buck and uses Sh8Ts for valves.

Youre right, Its all BUSINESS...and thats what Ive been saying. I tell people all the time to listen to a salesman with a grain of salt.

-------------
I'll make you TAP OUT!!!

Date Posted: 20/March/2007 at 4:38pm
I've seen OP tip bloom a carpet OMG!!!!! The customer asked me if I could get the pile to come back with steam....

I started taking steps back towards the door...LOL

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 20/March/2007 at 4:38pm
but that is user error not the product...LOL

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 20/March/2007 at 7:39pm
    Youre right,You not taking pics. of "bad" OP job is self explanatory. Thats cause you dont want people to see that flaws of OP.

Ive heard many many stories where padders spent countless hours and still cant get the carpet clean and they had to whip out HWE.

You are calling me a liar and I don't much apprecaite that NW. I haven't HAD flaws, I won't leave a job until it is RIGHT, never have. And I know MANY padders with the same record. Of course they may be a little older and determined than you are.
I don't know of ONE carpet job where the cleaner had a problem and called for help, that he didn't leave with the job looking good. But you have NEVER called, now of course you don't HAVE to call, but people who REFUSE to fail at a job DO CALL.

Just because I tell it like it is doesnt mean I hold a grudge against you, WHich I dont. Steamer makes some good points...BUt, I just dont sugar coat it like he does.

I don't mind telling it like it IS, but for all the FLAWS and problems you talk about, I wish I would hear about them. See, I do this every day, have for 33 years and when "YOU" tell me what Op will or will not do, when I see if for myself EVERYDAY, then I have a problem, either you don't CARE about the jobs you do, or you do not CARE about doing them right.

ps-I dont cuss much. I just do it on here to piss you off...YOu god damn hillbilly.

I don't like hearing the Lords name used in vain, but that is your perogative, I still wish you would come out and stay here a couple of days, I would CHANGE your mind about OP.

-------------

Date Posted: 20/March/2007 at 8:21pm
Okok, Whatever John. I do have a couple of good padders to call up Whenever I Face difficult situation. BUt, Sometimes they just tell me that I shouldve just use my TM to start off to make it easier and faster.

Again, Never said OP wont clean. SOmetimes, its just easier and faster with a TM (you know its true!!). For a greasy pizza joint....I would rather not spend many many hours and millions of pads to try to clean it with. And Then, Go home and wash those nasty pads.

If itll make you happy....I clean my own carpet last night at 11pm with your machine. Because, I didnt wanna make alot of noise.

-------------
I'll make you TAP OUT!!!

Date Posted: 20/March/2007 at 11:24pm
Ninga, Was you satisfied with your carpets you cleaned with your o.p? Just wondering

-------------

Date Posted: 20/March/2007 at 11:26pm
Came out great.

-------------
I'll make you TAP OUT!!!

Date Posted: 21/March/2007 at 12:03am
but I bet your carpet was clean compared to the nasties we see

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 21/March/2007 at 12:06am
I clean my carpet every 2-3 months. My carpets are spotless.

-------------
I'll make you TAP OUT!!!

Date Posted: 21/March/2007 at 12:20am
I've never used pre-spray on my carpets...just rinse and go

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 21/March/2007 at 12:34am
Did a hog farmers carpets the other day. They had not been cleaned for 2 years. What a smell. Got a bonus of 100lbs freash pork for a tip. To bad it was still alive.LOL I dont know how they lived in there house. 1 hour cleaning the carpets 4 hours cleaning my machine. Wish they were more concerned for there carpets as you.

-------------

Date Posted: 21/March/2007 at 12:37am
how did it come out?

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 21/March/2007 at 12:42am
HOg farmer???...WHere the heck do you live??? HOw many rooms did you clean??....Lastly, Did you have fun washing those pads or did you burn'em?? lol

ps=- Did they really give you a live pig??

-------------
I'll make you TAP OUT!!!

Date Posted: 21/March/2007 at 9:18am
   We live in Ohio in the country. Yes he gave me a live 100lb pig. We do live on a small farm so this was not a problem. As far as pads go i used old pads that were kinda falling apart. Then used my better pads. Took all pads to the laundrymat (per my wife) I did 3 large rooms and a hall. They really did turn out good. Gotta get me a digital camera. This was about as nasty as i have ever seen. Smelled funny to. Have a good day all

-------------

Posted By: donalson
Date Posted: 21/March/2007 at 9:39am
haha... we had neighbors with a pot-bellied... his name was bacon :)...

er anyway OP what chems did you use?

Date Posted: 21/March/2007 at 1:06pm
   I used snap encap. Worked good. I dont think i will ever be the same.lol I can look at carpet in a hole new way. Have a good day

-------------

Date Posted: 21/March/2007 at 1:34pm
Okok, Whatever John. I do have a couple of good padders to call up Whenever I Face difficult situation. BUt, Sometimes they just tell me that I shouldve just use my TM to start off to make it easier and faster.

Hey thang, I will agree that sometimes HWE is faster and easier, never argue that, but there are a lot of shortcuts for making OP easier and quicker as well, you know when you started doing HWE it was tough to learn and took you time, same with OP, but once learned, time is about the same.

Again, Never said OP wont clean. SOmetimes, its just easier and faster with a TM (you know its true!!). For a greasy pizza joint....I would rather not spend many many hours and millions of pads to try to clean it with. And Then, Go home and wash those nasty pads.

Thang I dont' spend much time washing pads, I have one washer that holds 3 loads and only do ONE load a day, put them in when i get home, put them in the truck in the morning, so I spent less than 5 minutes a day on pad washing.

If it'll make you happy....I clean my own carpet last night at 11pm with your machine. Because, I didnt wanna make alot of noise.

I hope you KNOW that I LOVE pulling your chain Thang, why? Because I get a great reaction...LOL

But I also want you to know, I would love to be of help if you get on a carpet the is not responding to OP well and help you get er done.

-------------

Date Posted: 21/March/2007 at 3:52pm
so padman you don't dry the washed pads????

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Posted By: bgray22
Date Posted: 21/March/2007 at 4:05pm
My game plan is to get as much commercial accounts as I could in the beginning and then market hard to the residential. About how many times a year do you do commercial carpet and commercial tile?

Date Posted: 21/March/2007 at 4:33pm
Steamer, NO, NEVER.... I leave them damp from the washer.

BGray22, commercial accounts vary from one a month to quaterly to biyearly and yearly, but they usually ARE dependable as to how often they do it and you can usually bank on it.

-------------

Date Posted: 21/March/2007 at 7:43pm
Hey, How am I suppose to be a better padder when Im banned from paddyland??

-------------
I'll make you TAP OUT!!!

Date Posted: 21/March/2007 at 9:36pm
LOL, aren't you trying to LEARN something HERE?

-------------

Posted By: mr K
Date Posted: 15/April/2007 at 12:55am
Hi every body

I have been using HWE (large portables) for 23yrs and I love it, years ago I even thumbed my nose at OP

However things are starting to change I have the opportunity to sell carpet clening equipment in Queensland Australia

Now I have to look at both methods If wish to sell them

The 1 thing I have found out is OP is very simple to use (even my wife wouldn't have any trouble using it) and it gives good results and that in its self may be somthing worth looking at

I have had to fixed up carpet that bad HWE opperators have left behind not a nice thing

I don't know if it would be great in all situations????

But for someone starting you would be able to start earning MONEY almost straight away
NOW THATS IMPORTANT

If you feel you need a HWE nothing wrong with purchasing a large poratable down the road

What ever you work out GOOD LUCK

-------------
catch u later

Posted By: mr K
Date Posted: 15/April/2007 at 1:07am

Here is a bit of info

ORBITER FLOOR POLISHER, SCRUBBER - 40CM The Orbiter Floor Machine featuring the unique random orbital action. Even a beginner with minimum training can: *'dry' clean carpets * strip hard floors * scrub floors * wax, and polish hard floors * sand timber floors.

With a bit of thought you could offer other services

-------------
catch u later

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net