Forum Description: General discussion on anything related to carpet cleaning
URL: https://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=529
Printed Date: 10/June/2024 at 5:43am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Do you run your bisiness or does you busi
Posted By: doug
Subject: Do you run your bisiness or does you busi
Date Posted: 21/August/2004 at 12:03pm
Could you be making more working for someone else than you make working for yourself??  Do you have any control of your hours?  Do you have any control over what you charge? Are you making any money?  Just thought I would inquire.  Inquireing minds need to know.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Replies:
Date Posted: 21/August/2004 at 12:05pm
The topic is suppose to be.  Do you run your business or does your business run you?  Just incase it makes no sence.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Posted By: surroundings
Date Posted: 21/August/2004 at 5:57pm
Right now, I'd be getting more business if I was working for someone else, it's true.  Why?  I need to market myself more.

My jobs do return good money.  There's a guy on another forum who talks about his being a 'lifestyle' business.  His surfboards cost more then his CC equipment, and they go with him everywhere.  Why would you pound away 5 or 6 jobs per day (and three on a Saturday)? 

One of my goals is to have the freedom of the four day week, or the freedom to make extra to buy something special if I want. So far we've been surviving, and I get to take the kids to school, pick them up sometimes, capture a dirty afternoon or two with the missus (MY OWN, in case you were wondering), or catch up with a friend for a beer or coffee.

I couldn't get more work if I dropped my rates, as I get most of my jobs that I quote, I just need to get in front of more people. Right now, my need to market makes the business run me.  I don't see that maintaining though.

-Allen

Posted By: MR. STEAMER
Date Posted: 22/August/2004 at 10:34am

Money isn't the point in CC.... 1000 dollar day isn't nothing if your willing to work...

service srevice service brings those calls in.... if I have nothing I have that

I'm willing to go the extra 2 miles for any customer I clean for... and it pays off big time in the end....

a lot of you forum members have come and gone....

but Steamers still here singing the same old song....

Date Posted: 22/August/2004 at 11:50am
Mr. Steamer:  Your making a $1000. a day.  So after the big comapny is done and you and your truck are wore out you get what????  Who runs who?? Your not self employed, your an employee of a big company Guitarright??? You have no control, they jump and you cry how high right????

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 22/August/2004 at 2:19pm

Some for them... some for me... I like it .... It gets me the exposure I need.

The thing is doug I know what I'm doing.... when I clean a carpet it is well cleaned... they don't give anymore work than you want.  Plus with all the line up of people wanting to be carpet cleaners(lol not).  It's the cleaners market if your as good as I am....

I'm not affraid to say it in public I'M DAMN GOOD..... I believe it and I make it true

Date Posted: 22/August/2004 at 6:32pm
I almost broke that $1000 day.  The invoice was $999.48 of all things.  I begged and pleaded to clean an office chair, an entry mat, car seat....

OK, slight exaggeration, as that invoice INCLUDED 10% GST (goods & services tax), so I didn't MAKE almost $1000. AND that included carpet protection.... about half of a gallon ($75), and about $15 of chem, and screw it... it felt good to work 20 minutes from home for 6 hours and invoice what I used to make PER WEEK in my old desk job. Including diesel, I was still above $100 per hour profit.

This has got potential.  oh yeah.... good potential.

Date Posted: 22/August/2004 at 8:26pm
Mr. Steamer:  It no wonder you work for someone .  There is only one way to do things in Steamer's world.  That is  Steamer's way and the wrong way.  You should be the instructor of wealth and wellness in the world of cleaning.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 22/August/2004 at 11:07pm

douggie Say what you want... I don't have to tell you anything... everyone runs business different.  BUT YOU DON'T LISTEN DO YOU!!!!!

I'M A SUB...I DO MY OWN WORK TOO!!!!

that should turn up the volume a little for old man doug.....

Why I make money???? let me tell you...

I'll out smile you...out charm you...out work you...out clean you...out service you... and if I can't I'll knock myself out trying....

Y'all can talk... but I clean carpet and upholstery... and I do it well

I STRIVE TO BE THE BEST

Mr. Steamer "the best there was...the best there is...the beest there will ever be"

Date Posted: 23/August/2004 at 6:28am
Mr. Steamer... and others who might listen in:

No one ever debates about whether or not the sun will rise in the morning.  Why not?  Because it's a 'given.'  Not worth the argument. Silly to argue the rising of the sun, because EVERYONE knows it to be a FACT. It does not require a leap of faith.

What do we argue over?   The things that we're uncertain of.  We argue over our favorate fighter, or hockey team, or we argue our religious beliefs Why?  Because we feel the need to affirm our standpoint.  Because we're not 100% certain of it's fact.   It's not a 'given' it's a leap of faith.

You seem to argue (even when you don't have an opponent) that you are a good carpet cleaner (yeah, yeah, yeah... the best etc... etc.. & so on ad nauseum)

I don't see others doing this.  I see a group of self confidant carpet cleaners who know that they'll do a good job.. sure as the sun will rise tomorrow.

Take a leap of faith... belive in yourself without bragging and arguing about it. 

No offence intended,

Allen

Posted By: Joel
Date Posted: 24/August/2004 at 9:21am

Mr. Steamer claims to be the best.

Mr. Steamer doesn't take out stains or want to educate himself, yet claims to be the best.

I am new here can someone enlighten me?

What am I missing?

Posted By: carpetologist
Date Posted: 24/August/2004 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Joel Joel wrote:

Mr. Steamer doesn't take out stains or want to educate himself, yet claims to be the best.

What am I missing?

Some people self educate and I see a bit of this in Mr. Steamer. But personality along with a little Irish blarney works wonders. Personality sells. If people like you they will buy from you. When most uneducated cleaners say a spot won't come out most people will believe them. Now what works for some may not work for others.

Welcome to our forum Joel. It's well worth hanging in. If we don't educate you we will entertain you.

I am a magician and when you tell people the sponge ball is in the left hand bar far most people will believe you. Sometimes too much education works against you. Let's face it we are dealing with dirt. Don't bore them with your knowledge of dirt stories.

-------------
Kleen Kuip Supply Mart Inc.

http://www.kleenkuip.com - New & Used Professional Carpet Cleaning Machines, Restoration Equipment, Training, Service and Supplies

Date Posted: 24/August/2004 at 2:01pm

What am I missing?

Joel:  You are missing nothing.  In Mr. Steamer's case it is simple.

Bulls**t  Baffles Brains. 

However Mr. Steamer is very knowledgeable in this business.  If you don't believe me just ask him. Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 24/August/2004 at 2:06pm
Many years ago when I first worked and sold into the dry cleaning industry I always remember a dry cleaner in Vancouver who had a large Marquee saying he was the best in Canada. I was devastated by this. How would he know he was the best? Is this an out and out lie? Well years later I now realize this was part of his marketing strategy and if he indeed believed he was the best then good for him. Today you must be a believer in your own product and service.

-------------

http://www.kleenkuip.com - New & Used Professional Carpet Cleaning Machines, Restoration Equipment, Training, Service and Supplies

Date Posted: 24/August/2004 at 6:00pm
Personality does go a long way.  Why does one guy sell more Nash Ramblers off the lot then his co-workers?  Personality, charm, sales-ability....

It's the guy selling hundreds of second-hand Ford Pintos because of their safety features that scares me....

-Allen

Date Posted: 24/August/2004 at 6:43pm

LOL... We it's good to see a few post...  I might be the best in my own mind... but I don't doubt that I am...   I just listen to the customers... they tell me..

You could be educated and be a grand master like doug.... yes it great.. I don't knock doug... nothing is wrong with learning.. but let the truth be told theory, will never beat out practical.  Yes I can read in a book the workings of an engine, but actually pull one apart...

I understand that is a scary world out here in carpet land, but trust me education will only give you the basics.... working will give you the experience....

I could sit here and quote from my IICRC hand books but I don't anyone can recall information.... I tell you what I have experienced.

You ask me and I'll tell you what has happened to me..

BTW Allen I'm cool...and I'll never stop thinking, believing and striving to be the best...

y'all take course to be the best.... I just look at the smile on the customers face... that's all I need

CAN YOU SMEEELLLLL!!!!!what the Steamer is Steamin

you're free to barff now......lol

Date Posted: 24/August/2004 at 6:57pm

What am I missing?

I'd like to see you try and take out red dye number four on carpet... for your information thats a stain buddy...   Permanent maker soaked in.... thats a stain buddy... filtration around the edges ...thats a stain buddy....

look up the definition of "stain" and then get back to me joel...buddy

Posted By: Steaminpile
Date Posted: 24/August/2004 at 10:03pm

I run the business..................I think

Pretty dang hard to get a day off though,,,so I'm not quite sure LOL

Make WAY more money than I did working for someone else,,,for the first time in my life I'm planning a trip to Hawaii this winter

but ssshhhh........................the wife doesn't know it yet

Date Posted: 25/August/2004 at 12:25am

I also thought a stain was a spot that was neglected.

Mr. Steamer it just seems that you are proud of not trying to enlighten yourself and then call yourself the best.

I just don't understand.

What is the IICRC anyways?

Posted By: Steaminpile
Date Posted: 25/August/2004 at 2:27am
Institute of Inspection,Cleaning and Restoration Certifications

Date Posted: 25/August/2004 at 4:36am
Joel,

Despite all my 'ragging' on Mr. Steamer, I imagine that he would have a strong client base.  There are different types of carpet cleaners, just as there are different types of... say... resturants.  McDonalds' ain't never going broke, but that expensive seafood place just may.  There's no shame in being part of a succesful franchise, as long as you've got your wits about you.  I'm not saying Mr. Steamer IS the McDonald's of carpet cleaning... I'm just trying to make a point.  There is also a place for the up-market professional, and many variations in between.

Mr. Steamer does have knowledge.  I dunno if he's done any book learnin' but you can't be in the industry for so long without knowing SOMETHING!

I still won't leave him alone... It's not in my nature... but I would expect that most of his learning came at a time when customers were not as educated about the market as they are now.  I suggest STRONGLY that anyone starting up has to get the theory behind them AS WELL as experience (to whatever degree possible).

Welcome to the forum. 

-Allen

Date Posted: 25/August/2004 at 7:07am
Joel:  Mr Steamer will explain all the benefits of the IICRC.  It is one of his favourite topics.  I would like to help you out, But I am just a cleaner from a one horse town and not quite as versed as Mr. Steamer.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 25/August/2004 at 9:52am

Joel

Go to our home page, click on the IICRC and scroll down the page. This is were you will find everything you need to know about the IICRC.

-------------

Date Posted: 25/August/2004 at 9:57pm

Joel buddy...  I am IICRC certified.... when I first got into this business like you... I wanted to learn everything I could... I went to a lot of classes took a few cec's.... my biggest problem with the IICRC was they haven't really done anything for the members... you get one news letter a year and thats it...

thats why I'm pissed off... plus anything I learned came from my experience on the road.... it's great back up info...but you won't learn everything there is to know from the classes...it comes with handling customers....and their carpets and upholstery..

Customers don't care what you can quote from the IICRC hand book THEY WANT TO SEE RESULTS and if you can't give them that you'll be out of business in no time

Posted By: Suction
Date Posted: 25/August/2004 at 10:14pm

speaking as a customer who use to get his carpets cleaned everytime.  I think Steamer is right.  Customers don't really think of carpet cleaning as being technical.  Why?  well because you can rent a machine at the quickie Mart.  I just look at the work done, and of course wait until it dries.

reading through this forum. I think doug and Mr. Steamer give good entertaining information, all you have to do is pick through it.  Allen I find too smart for CC, at least thats how he plays it.

thanks for all the replies to a newbies post

Posted By: steamdragon
Date Posted: 25/August/2004 at 10:26pm

Mrs. Steamer , I have learned so much from your posts. Thanks!

soap and water  and service, service, service!!

you should start your own classes

-------------
Steamdragon the hotter the better.

Date Posted: 26/August/2004 at 1:21am
Suction:

Don't confuse a verbose person with an intellegent one.  A smart ass?  Oh yeah. 

-Allen

Date Posted: 26/August/2004 at 6:36pm

Allen...... your post are long and long winded.  This is your shortest post ever.  What Mr. Steamer say is right, I think you just copy everything you say right out of the book.

I'm a weekend carpet warrior, I just do this part time for some quick cash.

Water, Formula 77, and go go go.  I guess I'm in the low end of things.  I have not yet come across a wall to wall wool carpet. but then again I've only done 50 or so calls.

I believe what Steamer says, when he says the more calls you do the better you get.

from my first to my last call there has been a very big improvement

Posted By: FooLingYu
Date Posted: 26/August/2004 at 6:53pm

Good luck Suction on your trials and tribulations. But if you were a heart transplant doctor I think I would wait until you have done another 100 calls or so.

Now atleast you started out on the right track using Formula 77. Just be careful that Steamer does not convert you to his S&W Formula.

I wish you the best.

Date Posted: 27/August/2004 at 2:21am
suction:

Yeah, I'm long winded here, and in person (get a couple o' beers in me & you can't shut me up!)... unless you're a customer.  The customer does all the talking.

You only do this part time?  Are you looking to slowly move to f/t or just leave things as they are?  What do you do for a quid M-F?

No particular reason for asking other then vauge interest.  I don't know what Formula 77 is, but I run into 100% pure wool & 80/20 wool blends all the time.  Perhaps a third of my work is with wool (and ONE alpaca hair rug that cost the owner $3,000!).  The reason I bring this up: before I took the IICRC courses, I decided to use only Woolsafe approved products.  You can treat a Nylon like wool, but don't go treating wool like Nylon.  Now that I know proper carpet identification, I can go to other products to get a specific result with less effort.

It's true, that the more work you do, the more you learn (if you're paying attention).  Courses cut down my learning curve dramaticaly & I've been able to help out customers in ways that other CC'ers have not.  Remember, Mr. Steamer also took the IICRC courses.  He may not be happy with various aspects of that organization, and perhaps he's even learned more by DOING rather then studying (I don't know.. ask him) but no one will ever be able to take his education away from him.  He has learned.

Good luck,

Allen

Date Posted: 27/August/2004 at 2:20pm

who can tell me what I should expect in the carpet and upholstery classes??? when are they here in the GTA...???? how much I'm I going to have to pay???how long is it????

enlighten me

Date Posted: 27/August/2004 at 3:53pm

Suction

Next class is October 13th & 14th

http://www.kleenkuip.com/services/schools.htm - Click here for more information

Let me give you a tip. You get a book that they teach from at the school. I suggest you pay in advance to study prior to the day or school. Nice to see you are interested. See you there.

Don't tell Steamer he may want to sell you a private class. Who knows, maybe that wouldn't be too bad.

-------------

Date Posted: 27/August/2004 at 9:08pm

Thank you... I'll be there.  Thank you all for helping me get off on the right foot.  Some advise more useful than others, but thanks just the same.  I'm going to take these classes and what ever other classes I can take.

Doug Allen Steamer watchout there is a new sheriff in town and his name is SUCTION...

I'll soon be more Master than doug, more technical than Allen, and more powerful that Steamer

Date Posted: 27/August/2004 at 9:19pm
Suction:  I wish you luck I guess luck is not the best word but it will have to do.  A little education will never hurt anyone who is just trying to succeed and do things  right way the first time.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 28/August/2004 at 12:54am

I have a grade 9 education.

Will I be able to understand?

Date Posted: 29/August/2004 at 2:56am

can you highlight ???the instructor will tell you what to high light

do you have a good memory??? just remember all the things you high lighted

if you can do this... you too can be a grand master like doug

Date Posted: 29/August/2004 at 10:23am
Mr. Steamer:  I spoke to a SEAR'S franchise owner once he was looking at a tm I was selling.  He explained to me that he and his employees including his wife who answered the phone attended an IICRC school.  The only one that passed was his wife who had never cleaned a carpet.  I can see know why SEARS uses in house, since everyone has to pay their own way it kind guarantees a certification one way or the other.  I heard they use black highlighters at their seminars??? Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 29/August/2004 at 1:33pm

Originally posted by doug doug wrote:

Mr. Steamer:  I spoke to a SEAR'S franchise owner once he was looking at a tm I was selling.  He explained to me that he and his employees including his wife who answered the phone attended an IICRC school.  The only one that passed was his wife who had never cleaned a carpet.  I can see know why SEARS uses in house, since everyone has to pay their own way it kind guarantees a certification one way or the other.  I heard they use black highlighters at their seminars??? Guitar
Yes thats why they have in house training now... because only JoeDumBuck wants to be a carpet cleaner...and it cost the company a lot to keep sending these dummies year after year... plus it cost the yearly renewal for those that do pass...

that's straight to the point no BULL

Date Posted: 29/August/2004 at 1:36pm

Oh I forgot we do still use a certified IICRC instructor... so we still have to pay him... or he's on the payroll somewhere....

IICRC still has their fingers in it somewhere...lol

Date Posted: 30/August/2004 at 4:28pm

I am afraid that the business runs you if you are a one or two man show. First of all no one will be as diligent in your business as you are. Now most carpet cleaners pay extremely poorly and give no benefits to employees. Therefore your employee is generally working for you only until a better job comes along (no loyalty).

Now if you are lucky enough to get multiple crews going, then generally your better employees will think it looks easy and go out on his own taking clients with him.

It's not easy...I have been there.

-------------

Date Posted: 30/August/2004 at 11:45pm

thats the way of the world... he doug can I work with you??? I am certified... I have a great resume.... I'll even change my name to "DOUG2"

You got to work for the devil to take over Hell

Date Posted: 31/August/2004 at 6:42am
Originally posted by Carpetologist Carpetologist wrote:

First of all no one will be as diligent in your business as you are.
<text snipped here>

Geeze... just been speaking to my ol' man in CA.  Just had a triple bypass, and needs some help with his CCing.  Hires a guy who's fixing some sprinklers and complaining about not enough work.  The kid is kinda unmotivated, and needs supervision, but he's the best of a bad lot.  He's shown at least the initiative to start his own business. 

After three weeks of being the assistant, kid goes and buys his own gear (mirroring part of my dad's set-up).  Thing is... he saw the $$$ on the invoices and thinks that he needs a bigger cut of that... like ALL of it.

Kid doesn't realize that my father owns a business that's been selling quality since 1927.  There is no business but repeat business.

Two weeks later, kid asks if Dad has 'extra work' for him.  Kid is finding it tough out there.  The ol' man's an optomist, so says, "OK, I pay by the sq ft, and I expect you to do it as I taught."  Kid is making about twice what he used to as an employee now.

Ms. Long-Term Customer complains.

Dad finds out that kid is using detergent in his freshwater (powdered at that),  no pre-vac, no rake.... and he was late, with no phone call about it.

Maybe Dad didn't pay enough, maybe the kid was a punk, maybe that's the way the cookie crumbles.  I dunno.  Funny thing is: kid (after being busted doing a crap job) is telling my Dad, "Hey, you're doing it all old-fashoned and wrong!  You don't have to spend as much time to clean carpet! I do 'this-anthis-an-thisan-this' and it's JUST AS GOOD!

Kid does not get any more work, and wonders why.

Anyone here got quality and want work in the Central Valley, CA?  Drop me a line.  Screw it up though, and I'll fly out to give you a triple bypass: Heart, Lungs, and Brain.

seriously,

Allen

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net