Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Portable Carpet Steam Cleaning Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Recoiling over the Recoil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TA152H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2010 at 5:13pm

Have you been sniffing glue, or are you naturally that stupid?  

What's any of this got to do with bonnet cleaning?  I thought we were talking about the virtues, or lack thereof, of the Recoil XPS.  You use this with your bonnet cleaning?

The sign of a weak argument is when you make it about the messenger, and not the message.  All the cons of the machine have been detailed and listed, but you don't really touch those, and neither does Ed.  You guys try to make it about people, which is much more subjective.  

I did notice yesterday Ed does have something close to the booster I thought was ideal.  It doubles as a portable, and has a 100 PSI pump.  All good.  But, he just misses because it's only set up to boost CFM, at least according to his website.  

If this could be used in series like his pure booster, this thing would be an extremely attractive product.  It's still not bad, by any means, and neither is his pure booster, but it would be perfect if you could get it all.  I don't know why he removed that feature when going from the booster to the booster/small portable, but I hope he finds a way to add it back.

Sponsored Links

Grutzy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grutzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2010 at 5:47pm
LOL, that's the same "Jan" from tm forum that has been peddling Recoil propoganda for Mr Ed like a disturbed zombie? It's hilarious how his brain-washed pawns stumble from forum to forum, all just to hype up the Coil. I have to admit one thing; the Coil cult is a tightly knit group. Their dedication damn near brings a tear to my eye.

I'm laughing so hard right now that I have to stop writing.
alexanderS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexanderS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/September/2010 at 1:25pm
Grutzy or "Alex" ? Have I seen that name on the TMF before? You joined this forum 
just last month! I am laughing so hard right now that i have to stop writing.
No I really don't find it funny rather it is sort of sad and pathetic!

Just for the record I have never attempted to hide my identity. It is on my profile
for anyone to see . My oldest son's middle name is Alexander so I thought I would
use that handle on this forum . AlexanderS. 

Thank you John L. I do think I will stay and paricipate because your right this is a
one of the better forums!
Grutzy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grutzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/September/2010 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by alexanderS alexanderS wrote:

Grutzy or "Alex" ? Have I seen that name on the TMF before? You joined this forum 
just last month! I am laughing so hard right now that i have to stop writing.
No I really don't find it funny rather it is sort of sad and pathetic!

Thank you John L. I do think I will stay and paricipate because your right this is a
one of the better forums!
Poor Jan, stuck trying to sell that lemon in the parking lot, pretending it's a classic Mercedes when it's really only in the class of a Pinto. LMAO!!

By the way, you have me confused with somebody else but I guess names are confusing for you, being a man with a girly name.
alexanderS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexanderS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/September/2010 at 8:37pm
I believe the last time I was teased about my name was in the 8th grade! What
is the matter with you? Is that all you can say? You are not getting anywhere
on this forum or any other. There is no secret to my identity! I am not hiding my
identity . You are! 

TA152H . Actually the new Power Booster from Cross-American can be hooked up
in series if one wishes to do that. It is very easy to do. Basically there is a 3 inch access 
that takes a minute to remove then you attach a hose from the vacuum inlet to the
exhaust of any kind of portable. 137 " H2O Lift. This could be beneficial for someone
needing to do flood work. Especially if it is down in a basement. Perhaps in some situations it is more beneficial to get more lift that more CFM. So the CA Booster
is both for inline and in series!

duckcountry View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/September/2010 at 9:22pm
It has already been proven Grutzy is Alex, Jan once again is right.
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?
grimel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/September/2010 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Grutzy Grutzy wrote:

Cross America has suffered some sales woes since the tmforum shootout. Since that time, Locko has critized the Recoil even more when its lack of vacuum power yielded him in a nightmare on a commercial job. Why didn't Locko consider Mr Valentine's sensitive situation before publicizing this information? 

If you've followed Mr Cobb's posts on TMF regarding how CFM/lift are related, what is needed, and what the entry/mid level TM's have you'd know Locko's review wasn't much from an engineering stand point.  I'm sure you didn't notice that a critical reply to a Locko post was deleted because it exposed the LACK of engineering knowledge of the reviewers AND the LACK of vacuum knowledge AND the LACK of understanding of HOW and WHY water moves through a hose.  Even a freshman design course teaches MORE isn't the answer to most questions.  Sorry, but, if you can't build a portable that runs on 2 cords AND allows 100'+ hose runs you don't know enough to try an comment on what anyone else is doing.

IOW, you have at best an inquisitive energetic novice (ever notice how he's "improved" many portables only to have problems later?) trying to tell a long term successful builder of a 150' hose run capable portable how to "fix" his design.

Finally, some people seem to have a very hard time understanding you don't build for optimum conditions.  You build for the least optimal conditions.  That ensures you have a long uptime.  Uptime makes money.  The time savings of a more powerful portable isn't nearly as money making as people want to believe.  It is a relationship between uptime, repair costs, and speed.  Get on a high security lock-in job and have your porty go down.  You just lost a $5000 one day contract and have little chance to ever get it back.
When all else fails, read the directions
grimel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/September/2010 at 10:48pm

You have a point about Locko. I think he wrote that post on the evening that he returned home from that business fiasco, a woozy and beaten man. I don't think I have ever seen a man so angry at a machine before...LOL. Apparently he left the carpet soaked and felt horribly about it.

You do realize the real problem was Locko left an untrained tech who couldn't prime the porty they started using?  IOW, Locko was (again) let down by LOCKO.  Had he trained his tech properly, the original porty would have stayed in use and he wouldn't have had a problem.
grimel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/September/2010 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by TA152H TA152H wrote:

Hopefully, Ed or Mytee will make one that can be used as a standalone (with a real pump) for small jobs, or upholstery, and be able to use it in series and parallel.  I think this type of unit would sell like crazy, as you'd have many reasons to buy it, and would become seemingly indispensable after getting used to having it.  

I believe that is Ed's KS-8.
Grutzy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grutzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/September/2010 at 8:06am

"Prime the Porty"? What are you referring to? He had problems with weak vacuum power not being able to extract water from the carpet. While Locko is not the expert that some think he is, he certainly has enough common sense to ascertain whether or not his machine is overwetting the carpet.

Let me also include that my strongest criticisms for the Recoil are not performance related but are instead more in the direction of poor design and lack of refinement. I provided a list earlier with my grievances with the machine and I doubt that any impartial subject would disagree with any of them.

I think if Locko had his machine running well and had one of CA's boosters on there, he would have been fine. I agree that the Recoil needs to upgrade their internal hoses to 2" and refine the booster hose setup so that it is less restrictive. However, I think it needs improvement in other areas that are abundant and equally important.
grimel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/September/2010 at 8:21am

"Prime the Porty"? What are you referring to? He had problems with weak vacuum power not being able to extract water from the carpet. While Locko is not the expert that some think he is, he certainly has enough common sense to ascertain whether or not his machine is overwetting the carpet.

Go back and READ his post and follow up posts.  His newish techs that HE trained didn't know how to prime the pump on the porty they started using.  His solution wasn't to take a minute to try it himself to see if it was a quick fix or other issue.  His solution was to have them tear down the initial portable and set up the Recoil that was known to have some unsolved issues.

These (for practical purposes) untrained techs could have done an adequate job with the broken Recoil, but, they had (apparently) never been taught how to slow down to compensate for a crippled machine.  Sometimes, a crippled machine is your only option so you might want to consider teaching a tech to check the carpet and keep doing dry passes until it's sufficiently dry.
grimel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/September/2010 at 8:43am

1. Do you think the rear handle is a good design, despite being flimsy and bolting into the water tank, below the water line?

Not the greatest, but, it isn't designed to be dragged up flights of stairs.

2. Do you like the fact that the waste tank lid does not have a rubber seal to assure proper sealing?

What doesn't have a rubber seal?  What it doesn't have is a locking seal, thus, you have to put the lid on properly for the machine to seal itself.

Quote 3. Do you think that the top chambers should be fastened to the bottom half with screws?

How would you attach the top to the bottom?   Screws, bolts, quick release latches all have good and bad points.  The designer has to decide what fits his goal better.  If you don't expect to be inside the  machine constantly fixing stuff screws are probably the best option.

Quote 4. Do you think it is a good idea for a modern portable to be missing a water pressure gauge? If so, how do you set accurate pressure levels when changing from carpet cleaning to upholstery cleaning?

Considering the accuracy and lack of calibration of gauges, I'd say it doesn't matter the tech should be watching and adjusting as he goes.

Quote 5. Do you think the exterior booster hose is vulnerable? How do you feel about the restriction caused by the connecting ends in that system?

Nothing is perfect.  I wouldn't expect to be moving a portable that allowed 100' and more hose runs very much.

Quote 6. Why do you like the dump valve design that does not allow you to empty the tank fully, instead causing waste water to stagnate at the bottom of the machine?

It would do a good job keeping the crud at the bottom from settling in your dump valve causing a leak.  I'd prefer a different style closure on the other drain.

Quote 7. Do you feel that the body panels are too thin and flex under vacuum? Have you ever compared the body panel strength of the Recoil to that of a Mytee machine? If so, do you not recognize a difference?

Again, more isn't always better.  Stiff doesn't make for better.  Stiff generally makes for a more brittle product.  Back to the basic design class.

Quote 8. Do you think that it is a good idea that the internal vacs use 1.5" hoses rather than 2" hoses or do you think Mr Ed merely opted to use these hoses because they are sold at Lowe's?

Do you recall reading about efficiency and balance?  One of those points where those doing the review didn't know enough to understand WHY their "improvement" would be a step backwards.  I'd assume (since I don't have a Recoil to check the vac's) Ed decided to use 1.5" because it was the most efficient (read most power for the amperage) size for that motor.

Quote 9. Do you think the 14 gauge wires coming out the back are adequate? Do you like that they are not detachable?

Yes, 14 ga is adequate; I'd prefer 12 ga, but, 16 ga would do if the cords are 25ft or less.  The biggest concern is quality of the insulation.  If you followed the link Locko posted on wire runs you'd know what is needed.  Well, if you know how to run the formula AND understand how to figure the base line AND realize the runs for a 12 vold DC system aren't the same as 120v AC systems (back to the poster not knowing what he doesn't know).  The Recoil is a 15 amp machine.  I can make the case for attached and detachable.  I've had both and cussed both.
canoer5222 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canoer5222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/September/2010 at 9:30am
 Great Post !!
1. Do you think the rear handle is a good design, despite being flimsy and bolting into the water tank, below the water line?
   My Recoil has never left the trailer.
2. Do you like the fact that the waste tank lid does not have a rubber seal to assure proper sealing?
     KISS- put the lid on properly
3. Do you think that the top chambers should be fastened to the bottom half with screws?
  Yes-again KISS
4. Do you think it is a good idea for a modern portable to be missing a water pressure gauge? If so, how do you set accurate pressure levels when changing from carpet cleaning to upholstery cleaning?
   Yes-Gauges are always the first to go ,Return spring will break and gauge will need replaced. I set my external gauge according to carpet conditions then remove from machine.
5. Do you think the exterior booster hose is vulnerable? How do you feel about the restriction caused by the connecting ends in that system?
  Again,have had no need to remove unit from trailer. Only Locko and his cameraman would whine about this.! Jamie was pressured IMOP during this video, listen to the --- in the background .Locko answered with a lot of maybes-I guess so etc.
6. Why do you like the dump valve design that does not allow you to empty the tank fully, instead causing waste water to stagnate at the bottom of the machine?
  What Grimel said and I use a shop vac at end of day to clean recovery tank. Water is left in tank to trap any lint etc.
7. Do you feel that the body panels are too thin and flex under vacuum? Have you ever compared the body panel strength of the Recoil to that of a Mytee machine? If so, do you not recognize a difference?
  What Grimel said . Tanks are designed to work with the vacuum motors.
8. Do you think that it is a good idea that the internal vacs use 1.5" hoses rather than 2" hoses or do you think Mr Ed merely opted to use these hoses because they are sold at Lowe's?
 What Grimel said  AIRSPEED !
9. Do you think the 14 gauge wires coming out the back are adequate? Do you like that they are not detachable?
   Can't say it any better than Grimel
  These modular designed machines are built with most parts readily available to user not having to order thru distributor. Less downtime.  KISS
grimel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/September/2010 at 10:47am
Originally posted by canoer5222 canoer5222 wrote:

7. Do you feel that the body panels are too thin and flex under vacuum? Have you ever compared the body panel strength of the Recoil to that of a Mytee machine? If so, do you not recognize a difference?
  What Grimel said . Tanks are designed to work with the vacuum motors.

What I said was less flex doesn't make it better.  Nothing to do with the vac motors Ed chose to use.  I wouldn't use an overly thick tank for any vac motors.

What shatters first a thick piece of plastic or a thin piece?  The thin piece will flex and bend.  The thick piece won't flex until it shatters usually without much warning.

Which do you want in your portable inside someone's house?

Quote 8. Do you think that it is a good idea that the internal vacs use 1.5" hoses rather than 2" hoses or do you think Mr Ed merely opted to use these hoses because they are sold at Lowe's?
 What Grimel said  AIRSPEED !

Not airspeed, as Mr Cobb (he is sooo nice about correcting concepts even when those being corrected miss it) puts it so often it's air watts.  Lift and flow are opposites.  If one increases the other decreases.  The key to it is finding the balance point where you get the greatest efficiency.  That point is usually somewhere in the middle.  If you wanted to make it slightly more efficient and more complicated with more leak points you could run a 2" hose from the tank to a reducer right at the vac motor.  But, that's staining at gnats for no real gain.

There is IMO much more to building a good portable than just adding more vac motors and cords.  Some stuff is looks most is function.  The problem being those that don't understand function will be persuaded by looks.  The Recoil doesn't look modern.   Personally, as long as it doesn't look like it's falling apart I don't care what it looks like.

Get your 10-11" Hg at the wand and the most CFM you can without tripping breakers.  Where I live, anything pushing 15amp will pop breakers unless you stay in new homes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>