Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Introduce yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Greetings from the Sunshine State!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABSOLUTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greetings from the Sunshine State!
    Posted: 20/June/2005 at 5:05pm

Greetings Fellow Carpet Cleaners! Just wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself.

My brother and I recently started a Carpet Cleaning business after years of working for other locals (making them filthy rich).  We are hoping our experience, quality work and common business sense prove to benefit us as well.  We are about 3 months into it and business is steadily growing.  One thing we haven't been able to quite "break into" is the Restoration business.  We are fully equipped to handle the work, but never seem to get calls.  I heard getting on the Insurance Companies lists works, but haven't tested our luck with it yet.

My dilemma is, we have spent A LOT of money!  Probably in the neighborhood of $70,000.  We are making a decent income, but it never seems to be enough.  The money I used to see in doing Restoration for former employers is what I think were missing.  I mean, we have all brand-new equipment (Boxxer 427) a new van (2005 Chevy Express Extended), new blowers, DU's, etc, but haven't really gotten a chance to jump into Restoration.  Not really sure what I am asking, or what advice I'm looking for, but maybe you guys can help!?

Well, thats us!  A new company thats hungry for work.  Any suggestions?  By the way, the competition in Florida is heavy, but we try not to let that affect what we are here to do, Be the leader in our backyard and make as much money as possible doing it.

Thanks for your time.

Bruce
Owner / VP
ABSOLUTE Carpet Care Services, Inc.
www.CleanYourCarpetJAX.com
Sponsored Links

JaredW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/June/2005 at 5:10pm
Welcome to the board! The only advice i ever give (probably because I own a cleaning business) is call on local cleaning companies. The small ones, take the owner out to lunch and give them 10 - 15% of a jobs profit, for all of the work they refer to you from their clients. You mark up the bill 10-15%, everyone's happy, the cleaner pleases his/her client, you get in the door. Maybe get some referrals from the customer, and do this all the time. I have ongoing business relationships with contractors to come in and do work, which i make money on, and my clients are happy also.

Just my experience.

I should add, the types of businesses i'm referring to are commercial and residential janitorial companies. They have many accounts and don't usually have the time or people to do specialized cleaning such as carpet cleaning, air duct cleaning, etc.

Edited by JaredW
ABSOLUTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABSOLUTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/June/2005 at 5:29pm
Thanks Jared!  Sounds like great advice.  Here in Jacksonville, we are flooded with Janitorial Businesses.  I can name a dozen off the top of my head.  Thanks again!  I'll be sure to give it a whirl.

Funny thing is, we had a client (restaurant) we were contracted to clean and seal tile for.  While we there, we met their current janitorial cleaner.  Nice guy, been there for 6 years, kept commenting on our good work.  A month later, the restaurant gave us his job!  Now we are in the commercial cleaning business as well.  Funny how things work out sometimes.

Since your in the business, typically what services do you offer restaurants and how often do you perform these tasks?

Thanks again!

Bruce
Owner / VP
ABSOLUTE Carpet Care Services, Inc.
www.CleanYourCarpetJAX.com
JaredW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/June/2005 at 10:57pm
Honestly, i stay away from restaurants. About two years ago i invested in a high pressure steam cleaner for degreasing floors and equipment. I still have the unit, but it still hasn't paid for itself. I bought it with the intention of using it for restuarant and food service commercial properties and never fully followed up on the investment. Too many other contracts and not enough time. I mostly clean and manage my team. We clean commercial and industrial warehouse and office spaces. I average about $45 an hour per contract, so the profit margin is very high. I prefer these types of contracts due to the small startup costs and the routine of nightly service visits.

The carpet cleaning is simply a service i have offerred to my existing customer base and customers of my brothers handyman service. Honestly, I do not look for work anymore, i have too much.

However, i have seen several post on restaurant cleaning on this forum, do a search on the word and you may find some people who can give you more info on the types of services and the money to be had. Good luck.

As a side note: Impressive equipment in your original post. I started with a tax refund of $565 and a stack of 25 black and white flyers i printed off my computer with the last remaining ink in my printer. I'm not bragging, but i'm proud to say that i'm doing pretty well now.

I hope you find useful info on this forum, there are a lot of experienced and helpful people here (and some jokers).
 Post Reply Post Reply