Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Introduce yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Is It Realistic?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoubleAA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is It Realistic?
    Posted: 10/March/2008 at 10:54pm
Hello
I apologize for the lame title, but i wanted to get straight to the point.

I am a startup biz hopeful and will be purchasing a portable unit with a roto wand attachment.  I will utilize what else I can afford for now, which includes: car magnets, biz cards, door hangers, clean cut professional appearance/attitude with company logo embroidered shirts...etc.  I'm planning to do both residential and small business. I live in Texas. 

I have been a full commission sales rep for several years, and I am tired of working for others.  My dream is to start my own biz and WORK HARD FOR MY SELF AND MY FAMILY. 

With the above mentiond...Here is my question:
If I commit 100% to this, would it be realistic for me to gross approx. 30K the first year? My goal of course is to make much more than this down the road as the biz develops, but I need to hit close to this amount as quickly as possible.  I understand no one has a crystal ball, but I'm trying to get a little perspective and see if this is even a realistic first year goal.  I will work a part time job as well if need be.  PLEASE ADVISE...THANKS

Aaron 

Sponsored Links

duckcountry View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2008 at 11:19pm
NO, not unless you have startup capital that will buy you some telemarketing and ads including fliers door-to-door.  

Assuming you do 2 jobs per day and that it takes 4 days to get 3 days worth of work so that is 6 jobs per week.

Assuming you work only 50 weeks a year.

That is an average of $100 per job with a porty and a rotovac or whatever rotowand you are referring to. 

You are new.  Going up against how many cleaners?  Do you think you can land 6 jobs per week just starting? 

And what if you could sell them on scotchgard?  Fast and cheap addon.  Let's say you give that away at $100.  Now you need 3 of those jobs per week.  Can you do that?

This is like sales.  It is either the hardest work with the best pay or it is the easiest effort with the lowest pay. 

Your chances with any business are complete failure 95% of the time within the first 3 years.  Not from under capitalization, from piss poor management.

Do you have what it takes and do you have a family willing to get behind you and help you?  If not, put your money into something like SMC and sell wholesale to stores in your state.  That might be a better fit for your sales talent with less risk and good residual.

Good luck
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?
duckcountry View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2008 at 11:29pm
Ask yourself this question.  Would I invest in a start up carpet cleaning business in my area?  If the answer is NO then would it not make sense that you should not invest your TIME and MONEY into such a business?
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?
pbm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2008 at 12:24am
I think u can make 30,000 if u believe in yourself.I just got into carpet cleaning and i got about 10,000 in jobs with word of mouth in two months and have repeat cleaning already set up.. i own a cleaning company for ten years so have some know how....my goal is to clear 50,000 in the first year...I have never put my name in the phone book or even on my van and have made a good living for myself so go for it .....
The bonnet pro
DoubleAA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoubleAA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2008 at 12:38am
DuckCountry,
I appreciate your response, even though it may not but what I was hoping to hear, I will take it as sound advice. 

As far as Management - I believe this is an area I would excel in.  I am currently a sales rep/account manager, so I am very familiar with not only developing new accounts but maintaining them as well.  Problem is, I'm always doing this for other companies.  I want to build my own customer base for my own business. 

My wife makes about the same income as me, so we can lean on her income for a little while, but I would want to be bringing in a couple of grand a month within a few months.  I'm also willing to work a part time job as well and hit the phones myself for the biz along with hiring kids for the door hangers.  Just need to get a couple of grand coming in monthly ...is that still unrealistic in your opinion?  The pt job would prob. bring in about $800.  Thanks again.

pbm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2008 at 1:18pm
Aaron its not easy to start up but u have to go into it with big ass balls and go for it dont let people talk u out of it i had everyone tell me ten years ago not to start my biz and know i work 3 hours a night and make more then they do so while im golfing all day and they are working im loving it...Same thing with carpet cleaning i got about 1,000 dollars in over head no one thought i could break even each month...so far im doing what i thought i would do and on my way to the bank to cash a ckeck that most of my freinds cant make in two months i made in one weekend...
The bonnet pro
DoubleAA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoubleAA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2008 at 2:16pm
PBM,
Thanks, I really appreciate your encouragement, and  I agree with you...I will have to go balls out to get this thing going.  Which I'm more than willing to do, especially knowing its for my own biz.  Thanks again for the encouragement and example of how you can be successful in this biz...even if your starting out.

Aaron
Hammy View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2008 at 3:50pm
It is very possible to do 30K in the first year, I did, If you have sales experience more power to you. Most people that get into the business have no idea how to sell. Focus on commercial accounts and the rest will follow. If you have to, pick up a part time job that you work your schedule around for cleaning. Good luck to you! Big%20smile
Could somebody just clean my carpets!
DoubleAA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoubleAA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2008 at 10:32pm
Hammy,
Thanks for the encouragement.  I will take your advice and focus on commerical accounts to start with. 

Aaron
TJ Cleaning View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJ  Cleaning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/July/2008 at 1:48pm

In my area, with good advertising, we had many days where we made well over $500 a day per technician.  It was a lucrative business, but not a physically easy one.

John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2008 at 8:45pm
You could do that in a month! Set up a Telemarketing office with about 8 lines.. 2 shifts 1-5pm then 5-9pm.. Get all the details from City Hall for the laws..
 Post Reply Post Reply