Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

How's Business??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How's Business??
    Posted: 19/November/2008 at 8:41pm
So, how's business guys? For me, well.. it's been bad since October. Luckily I was able to make some money in Houston after the hurricane but not nearly what was expecting.

Things have seemed to slow down big time. I actually had to run coupons to get some calls generated. Here is my problem. I've got really low prices (almost half of what I normally charge) and I absolutely positively do not up sell (not anything other than extra services not related to carpet.. excluding carpet repair and pet odor removal). But I think I might be shooting myself in the foot trying to be "honest" especially in these times.

I've talked to other people I know who I refer to as "coupon guys". You know, those $59 whole house cleaning guys (with preconditioning an additional $.25 per sq. ft.). Yea, on 2000 sq ft.... that adds up!

I've always had the most minimal amount of respect for those operations (no offense to any of you running those) but they tell me they are SLAMMED. And I believe it considering it's the holidays! I should be slammed too! Instead it's $75, $99, $75, $99 all day long. And my "honest" approach doesn't let me sell the things I could be selling like "pre-conditioning" so if there are no pet stains and no furniture or tile to clean.. then I'm screwed. Which seems to be the typical case lately.

The rest of the year, I've been good. $40/room, great full service cleaning, charging extra for replacing pad, disinfecting pet stains, UPT washing etc. etc. But suddenly... SLOOOOOOW.

So I'm really considering starting a second company.. $59 whole house type of thing. You know what's funny too, my referrals are low, extremely low. I mean maybe 1 or two a month. The bait and switch guys I know tell me half their business is repeats and referalls! And one of these guys is a dry cleaning guy! And he gets more commercial accounts than I ever thought and somehow books them at $.50/sq. ft!

I use to do that when I worked for a bait and switch company. So I know what I can and cannot sell. Plus I know what pisses customers off and what doesn't.. and yes, the bait and switch guys PISS A LOT OF CUSTOMERS OFF! But still, they prosper why the honest guys are stuck out.

Now these bait and switch guys could be full of sh*t.. because frankly, they are. But one guy in particular, the dry cleaning guy, wouldn't BS me. He's been a good friend for a long time and he still doesn't get it why I go through so much effort and expense to do the job honest and right.

So, what do you guys think? I'm starting to think people like getting ripped off. They LOVE IT! I'm really about to say screw it and just go for what I use to know.. buffer, selling each spot for $10-$100 depending on what it is, selling "deep cleaning" "heavy duty preconditioning" and everything else I can think of. The only problem is, those companies don't last.. which is why I'd never do it under my real company name.

I dunno.. maybe some of you guys can help push me either way.. towards the bait and switch or towards doing it the way I'm doing it know. All I know is that I was out for about 10 hours today and I came back with $400. That's typically my average ticket! With $6000 worth of bills a month BEFORE gas and food... $400/day, while sounding nice, just doesn't cut it!

Edited by Atlantis - 19/November/2008 at 8:44pm
Sponsored Links

John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/November/2008 at 9:34pm

50cents sft.. He's probably BSing ya.. After cleaning your scheduled work offer all your other services and products.. Its not bait/switch.. No one else will put food on the table or pay your bills and toilet paper.. Man you need toilet paper..LOL

Post Reply Post Reply