Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Encapsulation, Very Low Moisture, Oscillating Pad Cleaning
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

op vs hwe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevareno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: op vs hwe
    Posted: 19/July/2005 at 12:54am

I've read through all these post about op cleaning with an open mind.    Being a tm user for 10 years, I was a little skeptical of this "too good to be true" technique so I decided to read through every post I could get my eyes on regarding op cleaning.  I did look at the pictures Padman posted and yes I was very impressed with the visual results.  To be completely honest, I was almost sold on the idea till I seen the video showing how long it took him to clean a 10 x 10 area.  I am very confident that I could have cleaned it in 1/4 the time with the same results with our tm.   With this much difference in efficiency, it's a no brainer to figure out where the real value is with a tm... After all, time is money. 

I'm not surprised that you have no problem getting customers with op cleaning but I can also see how a guy with a tm bidding the same job could use a line like this....

"Trying to use this cleaning method as the primary cleaning method for carpets would be like you washing your hair in the shower. First getting your hair wet, then introducing the shampoo, and after turning the water off, retrieving a towel and trying to absorb the shampoo out of your hair by moving a towel over your hair. What do you think would be left on your scalp after that process?" 

and win over the confidence of just about any consumer with even a speckling of common sense.  Padman, Diva, or Gmoney, how would you work around this type of common logic?  This quote was actually intended as a slam against bonnet cleaning but I do think it applies to op as well... or does it not?    Besides, there's other common logic most homeowners possess concerning germs.. Wouldn't HWE be more effective in removing germs from carpet?  Allot of our clients have babies crawling around on there floors.. They expect their carpets to be as sanitary as the dishes they eat from.   Wonder why residential and commercial dishwashers use hot water and steam to sanitize dishes rather than sending them through a machine with spinning terri cloths? 

The grit in carpeting is what's known to cause rapid wear in high traffic areas.  When we walk across carpeting, the grit is like an abrasive to carpet fibers.  Spinning a wet terri cloth towel over the carpeting seems more like it would accelerate the wear rather than remove the source of the problem.  Do these op machines have some type of magnetic grit absorbing abilities? JK  But seriously,  I've cleaned the filters out on our tm more than a few times and it still amazes me at the amount of small rock like particles that come out of soiled carpet. 

I almost felt silly for spending the money I've spent on tm carpet cleaning systems after I first read Padman's post.  It was only after I thought about the real reason's people have there carpets cleaned in the first place that I felt more at ease.  The whole idea of op cleaning sounds like one of those late night info-mercials.  How does this sound?  "You can now clean your carpets as good or better than those high priced so called professionals with expensive truckmounted systems!!  Just look at these impressive results? (Padman's pics).. Just 10 easy payments of ???  if you act now, we'll throw in enough pads to thoroughly clean your residents for 3 years"   You could show a couple of video's featuring a homemaker using the pad spinner (which would be less expensive, made of plastic and a Taiwan motor)... 

I did see you effectively talk a few tm owners into trying your system.. How do you guys feel about paying  $4-5 for a round terri cloth rag?  Hell at that rate, I could spend a weekend at a cheap motel and actually turn a profit from it!   JK  Of course these rags are Teflon coated... wouldn't this take away the absorbent characterizes of terri cloth?  After all, aren't we magically absorbing all that dirt into the terri cloth?  I am a little confused about this notion.. please clarify..

Padman, here's one of your post I thought was a little below the belt. 

#7. Our country club here in Lexington, Ky. had been having their carpets cleaned every TWO WEEKS for 14 weeks, simply because the carpets would look bad after that short amount of time. They had gone through 6 of the local cleaners and still could not get the carpets to stay clean. We did the job and then started a 3 MONTH maintenance program, and because the carpets stayed so clean they them moved it to every 4 months. We have been cleaning there now for 7 years or so.

If anyone thinks the previous cleaners were simply fly by nights or that they didn't know what they were doing, I must disagree, one of the cleaning companies was Joey Picketts company. Most of you know who he is.

Mentioning competitors names in a post when they obviously aren't here to defend themselves is in bad taste.  If your system sells itself, then fine.. by all means knock yourself out.. I'm sure you could effectively sell allot of these op machines but don't you guys have any professionalism about yourselves?  Of all the years I cleaned carpeting, I never felt the need to even mention my competitors names, much less gloat about some country club I happened to take away from Jo Cleaner on the net.   Who's to say that Joey Pickett hasn't took a few of your previous clients checks to the bank?  Of course you wouldn't read about it here because I'm sure he didn't get where he is by being unprofessional. 

Back to just using  common logic..   If I were to use and op machine I would first need to spray down the carpet with a prespray in order to break up the soil from the carpet.  If the prespray isn't rinsed away, then how can you claim residue free carpet?  Just like the example above.. If you shampoo'd your hair and didn't rinse it out, could you really just take a wet towel and shimmy it off without leaving residue in your hair?   If your prespray is good enough to break up soil, it's good enough to attract dirt off the bottom of shoes..

I really do want to believe in op cleaning but I just can't escape this common logic.  Before you say it, I really don't know much about op cleaning.. never seen it done, but I do have common sense.

Steve

Edited by Moderator1
Sponsored Links

nightrider View Drop Down
Marketing Master
Marketing Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2005 at 1:47am

There you have it folks.........Steve has spoken and said his piece..........lots of good points there my friend steve.......you certainly don't lack any common sence from where you stand, but sometimes you have to jump the fence to get a clearer view of the whole picture.

Padman is no dummy in this business, and his results speak for themselves. I never used his methos or products but I am game to give it a try.

Nightrider

Superglide Ken View Drop Down
Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

SGK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superglide Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2005 at 3:50am
Padman sells equipment mainly for one reason, and that is because it works, and it mainly sells itself after he Demos it. He is not a great salesman(he will tell you that himself),BUT whatever he lacks in sales ability he more than makes it up in sheer persistance to get the job done and finish what he starts, wether that be a sale or selling his system until it reaches mainstream status. In fact, besides myself, I have never seen his equal in the persistance ability to keep moving forward whatever the odds.We sell this system as well, and after Connections, will be promoting it ourselves, but at a lower price than Padmans machines. And to answer your question about Teflon on Pads, no you do not apply the Teflon at the face fibers in contact with the carpet. To do so would inhibit absorbancy of the cotton fibers there. It is applied else where on the fiber to reduce internal friction, which adds to pad life and ability to come clean in the wash.If you want this quality of Pad, you pay a $1 premium to get it over our regular pads. If not, you dont. It just offer another choice in the marketplace is all.

SGK
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.
Dennis Conner View Drop Down
SGK Basher
SGK Basher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Conner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2005 at 3:59am

ken...if you sell an OP system, I'd like to see a picture of it.

I'm sure you will have some dumbazz reason why you wont post the pic, but I'm pretty certain it's because you don't really make them anywhere but your mind.  OTOH, John really does make them and it happy to show them off.

LIAR!

stevareno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevareno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2005 at 8:33am

How many of you tm owners have tried op and now use this method exclusively?   Also, is there anything special about these terri cloth pads or are they basically a round terri cloth towel? 

SGK Basher
SGK Basher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Conner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2005 at 12:05pm

You gonna answer/post a pic nipples???

Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

SGK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superglide Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2005 at 12:44pm
Not for you Chuck I'm not.LOL

Steveareno:

They are different than regular Terry cloth towels. A certain degree of rigidity must be built in to get the proper cleaning action. Too thin or too thick does not work too well. In addition, the quality of the stitching used must be top rate to withstand both the many cleaning occilations and the wash cycles after that. Most Terry clothing fails in both those areas. A quality made product will excell in both those areas.

Ken
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.
SGK Basher
SGK Basher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Conner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2005 at 2:21pm

Just as I figured!

YOU DON'T HAVE ONE!

Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

SGK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superglide Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2005 at 3:58pm
Youb are right. I don't have one; I have many.
SGK Basher
SGK Basher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Conner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2005 at 10:48pm

then why wouldn't you want to show them off and mebby sell a few to the guys here???

Aren't you proud of them???

THEY DON'T EXIST!!!!

Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

SGK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superglide Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/July/2005 at 12:21am
If I showed them, too many would want to buy them now. I don't have time for any more sales, as I have more orders for glides than I can deliver now as it is. Many of those sales take place automatically on the shopping cart system at that. Pad machines arwe different. You have to spend a lot of time on the phone with people answering their questions to close a sale. It is time I don't have right now. After Connections is over with, I am going to have some more sales people to help me, so I will be able to handle the extra time commitement for these machines then. I am working over 100 hours a week already now as the only salesman in the company. I certainly have no time to increase those hours further right now.
SGK Basher
SGK Basher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Conner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/July/2005 at 12:40am

you are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo full of dookie!

John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/August/2005 at 11:39pm

Steve, you nailed it right on the head....Your Tm is your best bet...And the custy looks at you as a professional.... Pull up with a small hatchback and most will turn you away....

When i started 20yrs ago i had a 10gal porty in a Dodge Colt hatchback... Backed up to the custys house and the lady was outside... she says can i help you??? I'm here to clean your carpet... Were's your van she says.... Oh!! all my equiptment is right here...... Nooooooo she says..... I had to leave....

Stick with your tm (hwe) it is the best........ don't get brainwashed...

PadMan View Drop Down
Dr. Low Moisture
Dr. Low Moisture

http://ccsop.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PadMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/August/2005 at 11:30am

I've read through all these post about op cleaning with an open mind.    Being a tm user for 10 years, I was a little skeptical of this "too good to be true" technique so I decided to read through every post I could get my eyes on regarding op cleaning.  I did look at the pictures Padman posted and yes I was very impressed with the visual results.  To be completely honest, I was almost sold on the idea till I seen the video showing how long it took him to clean a 10 x 10 area.  I am very confident that I could have cleaned it in 1/4 the time with the same results with our tm.   With this much difference in efficiency, it's a no brainer to figure out where the real value is with a tm... After all, time is money. 

First off, you can only see the video, and while that carpet took some time, from what “I” have seen and used HWE  and it simply wouldn’t have cleaned it, period. As for speed, 4 machines of ours did 29,000 square feet in less than eight hours Saturday, we have 118,000 square feet to do in 4 days, we do it twice a year. Plus most all padders commands better rates for cleaning even though their cost to clean is LESS.

I'm not surprised that you have no problem getting customers with op cleaning but I can also see how a guy with a tm bidding the same job could use a line like this....

"Trying to use this cleaning method as the primary cleaning method for carpets would be like you washing your hair in the shower. First getting your hair wet, then introducing the shampoo, and after turning the water off, retrieving a towel and trying to absorb the shampoo out of your hair by moving a towel over your hair. What do you think would be left on your scalp after that process?" 

That kind of faulty logic is what keeps OP guys living large. We don’t use shampoo, so that kills that false statement right off, and if you UNDERSTOOD the process you would know that we BOTH rinse, you have to understand that under the pad we have the same thing going on as you do under your wand. WATER Stevareno water. Just less of it. When the prespray and wet pads are oscillating at 1725 orbits a minutes, it is ALL water under that pad.

Plus if you have a dirty van and try to PRESSURE wash it and don’t wipe it off, you have dirt on your van, unacceptable  for OP’rs.

and win over the confidence of just about any consumer with even a speckling of common sense.  Padman, Diva, or Gmoney, how would you work around this type of common logic?  This quote was actually intended as a slam against bonnet cleaning but I do think it applies to op as well... or does it not?    Besides, there's other common logic most homeowners possess concerning germs.. Wouldn't HWE be more effective in removing germs from carpet?  Allot of our clients have babies crawling around on there floors.. They expect their carpets to be as sanitary as the dishes they eat from.   Wonder why residential and commercial dishwashers use hot water and steam to sanitize dishes rather than sending them through a machine with spinning terri cloths? 

You have a lot of funny thoughts there Stevareno, first off you analogy of using a dish washer is bogus, you don’t SOAK your carpet in steam, you HIT it with steam and NO that does NOT kill the germs. We use a 100% bio-based product called Abstraction that contains colloidal silver that is MUCH more effective at killing germs, viri and bacteria. I would NEVER ask a small child to crawl around on a carpet that is just hosed off, it has to be CLEANED and while you enjoy heat, we enjoy agitation and actually WIPING off the fibers. Do your BEST HWE job and follow with a cotton pad, OOOPSS< you left a lot of soil. Or is that CLEAN soil? LOL

If your customers expect carpet to be as sanitary as dishes and you say they are, YOU ARE LYING to your customers, plain and simple. SO often I hear HWE guys talking like you are, and your claims are so EASILY proven to be TOTALLY false.

Another note, the one building that had anthrax in Washington after 9-11 that passed inspection on the FIRST try… was using a abstraction type colloidal cleaner. So your germ theory simply won’t fly.

The grit in carpeting is what's known to cause rapid wear in high traffic areas.  When we walk across carpeting, the grit is like an abrasive to carpet fibers.  Spinning a wet terri cloth towel over the carpeting seems more like it would accelerate the wear rather than remove the source of the problem.  Do these op machines have some type of magnetic grit absorbing abilities? JK  But seriously,  I've cleaned the filters out on our tm more than a few times and it still amazes me at the amount of small rock like particles that come out of soiled carpet. 

OK, grit, how much do you remove? Let me give you an example so you understand just how wrong you are and WHY. We sell a RugBadger, it is designed to remove grit and soil from carpets. Take a carpet and VAT clean it, put it under water, scrub it, clean it, suck it, wringer it, beat it etc. Then let it dry, place the carpet face down and run the rugbadger over it, HUMM< CUPS of grit. And Vat cleaning is a LOT more than you are doing.

Padders know that post vacuuming is IMPERATIVE… why? Because while the OP machine is running it is lifting the pile, YOU DON”T, vibrating the grit up to the surface, YOU DON”T and then is vacuumed off. Do we leave grit in the carpet? YOU BET, but so do you, if you THINK you are removing such a high percentage of the grit then you are fooling yourself.

I almost felt silly for spending the money I've spent on tm carpet cleaning systems after I first read Padman's post.

You shouldn’t feel silly, however I can see your need to defend it now.

It was only after I thought about the real reason's people have there carpets cleaned in the first place that I felt more at ease.  The whole idea of op cleaning sounds like one of those late night info-mercials.  How does this sound?  "You can now clean your carpets as good or better than those high priced so called professionals with expensive truckmounted systems!!  Just look at these impressive results? (Padman's pics).. Just 10 easy payments of ???  if you act now, we'll throw in enough pads to thoroughly clean your residents for 3 years"   You could show a couple of video's featuring a homemaker using the pad spinner (which would be less expensive, made of plastic and a Taiwan motor)... 

Sounds too good to be true don’t it? Except one problem Stevareno, our USERS will tell you the same thing I do. I have 100’s upon 100’s of machines out there, and a FEW OP’rs have added HWE to their system, but often HWE users have added OP and eventually DROPPED using hwe.. humm, kind of goes against your claims don’t it…?

We have Votex owers that have purchased OP just to give them the added quality of OP especially on commercial carpets.

I did see you effectively talk a few tm owners into trying your system.. How do you guys feel about paying  $4-5 for a round terri cloth rag?  Hell at that rate, I could spend a weekend at a cheap motel and actually turn a profit from it!    JK  Of course these rags are Teflon coated... wouldn't this take away the absorbent characterizes of terri cloth?  After all, aren't we magically absorbing all that dirt into the terri cloth?  I am a little confused about this notion.. please clarify..

You seem confused Stevareno, we have NO Teflon coated pads, and they are 6.50 -8.00 for 20” or 24” pads. Of course they last for MANY uses. Depending on type of carpet, 60-100 uses are the norm. MUCH CHEAPER TO CLEAN WITH OP THAN WITH HWE, period! Yet you can charge more and in MANY cases clean faster.

Padman, here's one of your post I thought was a little below the belt. 

#7. Our country club here in Lexington, Ky. had been having their carpets cleaned every TWO WEEKS for 14 weeks, simply because the carpets would look bad after that short amount of time. They had gone through 6 of the local cleaners and still could not get the carpets to stay clean. We did the job and then started a 3 MONTH maintenance program, and because the carpets stayed so clean they them moved it to every 4 months. We have been cleaning there now for 7 years or so.

If anyone thinks the previous cleaners were simply fly by nights or that they didn't know what they were doing, I must disagree, one of the cleaning companies was Joey Picketts company. Most of you know who he is.

Funny thing is, Joey and I go to breakfast together and he doesn’t understand it either, but that is simply because he doesn’t understand OP. That is to MY benefit. Plus he doesn’t even have anything to do with that business anymore, his exwife owns it not him.

Mentioning competitors names in a post when they obviously aren't here to defend themselves is in bad taste.  If your system sells itself, then fine.. by all means knock yourself out.. I'm sure you could effectively sell allot of these op machines but don't you guys have any professionalism about yourselves? 

You seem to really have a chip on your shoulders Stevareno… why is that?

Of all the years I cleaned carpeting, I never felt the need to even mention my competitors names, much less gloat about some country club I happened to take away from Jo Cleaner on the net.   Who's to say that Joey Pickett hasn't took a few of your previous clients checks to the bank?  Of course you wouldn't read about it here because I'm sure he didn't get where he is by being unprofessional. 

That country club is a prize jewel here in Kentucky, so you probably wouldn’t understand. When I met with Joey, HE BROUGHT it up laughing at how good a job we have to be doing to get it from him. Joey, needs no one praising him, he has no insecurities, he KNOWS HE HAS had a great business and his old company is still the BEST competitor in town.

Back to just using  common logic..   If I were to use and op machine I would first need to spray down the carpet with a prespray in order to break up the soil from the carpet.  If the prespray isn't rinsed away, then how can you claim residue free carpet?  Just like the example above.. If you shampoo'd your hair and didn't rinse it out, could you really just take a wet towel and shimmy it off without leaving residue in your hair?   If your prespray is good enough to break up soil, it's good enough to attract dirt off the bottom of shoes..

Common logic is not being used here, false claims and misunderstanding is all I have read in this post of yours.

Your lack of knowledge of the method is what raises so many questions in your head.

Email me and I will give you the names of cleaners who USED to be TM guys, but SOLD them to use OP. Many use BOTH.  Also, what shows is you do not understand our cleaning products at all, get shampoo out of your head, we don’t use anything like that, in fact the products we use dry up and crystallize and shatter, and are vacuumed out. They dry TOTALLY non sticky and dry up MUCH BETTER than your HWE presprays which BTW you do not even remove when wanding.. again, easy to prove…

With our products you can take some maple syrup and mix some of our product with it, let it dry and it removes with just a wipe, you can not even get finely ground pepper to stick to it, try that with YOUR products you are not using…LOL, you will NOT like the results.

I really do want to believe in op cleaning but I just can't escape this common logic.  Before you say it, I really don't know much about op cleaning.. never seen it done, but I do have common sense.

Funny thing about OP users, especially THOSE who have been TM users for 20-30 years who went to OP, and as SOON as they do, most TM guys don’t trust them or believe them, the reason is because they have to DEFEND their investment. Stevareno, if you bought a TM to clean carpet with you spent TOO MUCH MONEY and I respect and understand your NEED to defend it. However your understanding of this method is so misconstrued that you can not appreciate what is being done.

First off you thought that it is SLOW is wrong, depending on the machine used we do from 400-1000 square feet an hour normally, but also have commercials where we can clean 2000 square feet an hour. NOT just encapsulate, but CLEAN. And we can prove it by how long the job lasts and how NO wickbacks appear etc.

I have been simply PROVING to people for 33 years what this method will do, and OFTEN get and have replied to posts like there, they do not upset me at all because I figure you really want to know the truth about the method.

As long as the question burns in you, you will keep your mind open.

I will go as far as saying this, while we may debate residential cleaning and which is better all day long, on commercial carpet OP WILL KICK HWE’s butt consistently. And I do not care what machine you own.

Thinking and trying to use logic is good Stevareno, however doing so without understanding and knowledge is rather futile if you are trying to get to the truth.

John PadMan Geurkink

Converting HWE customer to VLM customers for 30 Years!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>