Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Water Damage and Fire Damage Restoration Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

flood work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/May/2004 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by We Dry We Dry wrote:

We offer the MRT mould course....Do you have that one?

Mr. We Dry:  I am a CR and have AMRT ASD  and one or two others.Guitar

Just My opinion
Sponsored Links

We Dry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote We Dry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2004 at 9:10am
Is there somthing you want to add Brian?
TGIF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TGIF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2004 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by We Dry We Dry wrote:

Hey Ted......Its We Dry just getting back to you.....

Here we go!

Does flood work simply mean sucking up water and leaving with your fee? = NO WAY........I wish it was that easy... ........There are many things involved in water damage mitigation..........Insurance, Liability, Equipment, Storage facilities and the biggest issue is future law suites against if you provide moisture control services and they are improper.

1. Where do we go from here? Everyone needs to get educated, not saying that we don’t know everything but we all learn everyday new and better things. And better ways of providing our services. Education is the #1 asset you can have to your firm. With education you can prove what you’re doing and why you’re doing it. That is usually the biggest challenge that most water mitigation firms are faced with.

2. Where are the learning institutions? Let’s start in Canada. There are two...One being in Barrie Ontario and the other in Hamilton Ontario which is my own school. Both schools have ASD, WRT, AMRT and many other courses to offer..Al courses are certified by the IICRC and some by the ASCR Foundation.....You choose, but most insurance institutes only will accept the IICRC as a certification.

3. What's an average investment? This is a broad statement....I don’t know what is involved...Just water or fire?...If its flood you would need the essentials like, 25 Airmovers @ an average @ $375.00 = $9375.00....5 LGR dehumidifiers @ $2400.00 = $12,000.00.....Truck @ $700.00 per month with a leasing option @ 12 months = $8400.00......Extraction unit....Ted I don’t know how much these are......Just add it in here if anyone knows....We are already at $30K....That’s with just some equipment and a truck not with the extractor. We are not even including the cost of the extraction tools... There many more to include, insurance/liability, employees to perform this services, training in water damage mitigation.......I’m sure there are more this is a quick brief rundown of some!

4. Can I rent equipment? Equipment can be rented from Ted Harding, CDT International CAT and Munters. All provide equipment nationally and globally... Your best bet is renting through Ted Harding.....

5. Do I have legal responsibilities?  Well...YES. Yes it sucks but we all do......What if "we" think we dryed Mr. Ted Harding’s house and then 3 moths later he is calling back with a microbial issue... We are most likely liable for this...and it will only be covered by our own pockets. You do not want your insurance provider knowing that we have contaminated  Ted's entire house with mould spores........ So just a quick answer...we are all liable in every project we go in.

6. How do I find moisture if I can't see it? Informed cameras work well if you know how to utilize them. There only read temperature differentials........Non invasive moisture meters and an instrument called a boroscope......Your can get a boroscope that has a camera so you can see it on a small TV.....

7. What's the difference between mould and mildew? Mould grows on most building materials and mildew grows on plants.....

8. Is there a wholesale company that I can turn my flood work over to and receive commissions? Ted that’s what I provide....I do work for may contractors and they basically have me perform there water mitigation services and they invoice the insurance firms.

9. What are the health issues? Mould Mould and More mould...... ....You can get beat up with this very quickly.....Cross contamination in houses are a big topic. If you don’t dry and contain properly then there are MANY health issues.

10. Do I need to be registered with any organization? Get registered with the IICRC and some IAQA organizations... Indoor air quality associations....

11. Is it difficult to get insurance companies to do business with a small carpet cleaner? Its hard to get insurance to use large national firms some times...So yes...And all you can do is keep trying and trying!

12. Can I be sued for doing a job incorrectly? YES YES YES..... If the insurance firm calls in another contractor and they prove that it was done incorrectly then they have a legit case!

Hope this helps.......

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2004 at 12:07pm
WE Dry:  I think your advice on what one  needs to get into the Water Damage business is an OVER KILL.  Unless you rent equipment.  Guitar
Just My opinion
TGIF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TGIF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2004 at 12:07pm

Ooooops!  How far out will you folks go to rent out equipment (KK)

We Dry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote We Dry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2004 at 12:31pm
We rent equipment all over Canada and the USA....We have equipment in trucks ready 24/7.....
We Dry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote We Dry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2004 at 12:32pm
Its not overkill...Its the facts!
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2004 at 12:44pm
In the real world. Who's facts?  Who says you need this much equipment to start out?  Is this your opinion?  Inquireing minds would like to know?Guitar
Just My opinion
We Dry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote We Dry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2004 at 12:52pm

Ted asked me a question and I answerd him with a basic answer.

You should have enough equipment to handle 5 losses at any given time...

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2004 at 1:12pm
Are you telling me for every LGR there is a ratio of 5 airmovers?  What are you drying?  I like your answer because some years ago the ratio was 2 airmovers per drieaze 50.  Do you remember when that was?  I for one don't think your answer is the least bit accurate running a school or not...  Oh by the way I don't care who asked the question.  It is all the people who read the answer.Guitar
Just My opinion
Brian Strawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Strawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2004 at 5:59pm
Hi We Dry: To Determine the amount of air movers needed:     

Standard is one airmover per 10 - 14 linear feet of wall space     

Example 12' x 12' room you have 48 linear feet of wall space       

48 Divided bye 10 = 4.8 units or 5 approx.

Dehumidifier EG.                                                   

Ceiling is 12' High 3600SF x 12= 43,200CF        &nbs p;         &nbs p;  

Class 2 loss using a LGR 43,200CF Divided bye 50CF= 864 Pints

864 Divided bye MFG CFM Rating of Dehumidifier in this case it is
320CFM =2.7 Units = 3 Units

This is in the WRT ASD courses

What is your thoughts Doug How about your thoughts TGIF WE Dry or
anyone else.      

Edited by Brian Strawn
Brian Strawn
TGIF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TGIF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2004 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Brian Strawn Brian Strawn wrote:

Hi We Dry: To Determine the amount of air movers needed:     

Standard is one airmover per 10 - 14 linear feet of wall space     

Example 12' x 12' room you have 48 linear feet of wall space       

48 Divided bye 10 = 4.8 units or 5 approx.

Dehumidifier EG.         &nb sp;         &nb sp;                               

Ceiling is 12' High 3600SF x 12= 43,200CF        & ;nbs p;         & ;nbs p;  

Class 2 loss using a LGR 43,200CF Divided bye 50CF= 864 Pints

864 Divided bye MFG CFM Rating of Dehumidifier in this case it is
320CFM =2.7 Units = 3 Units

This is in the WRT ASD courses

What is your thoughts Doug How about your thoughts TGIF WE Dry or
anyone else.      
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2004 at 7:20pm
Brian:  First of all lets talk the real world.  Compare drying costs to replacement?  Is the room you are talking on the main floor?  Which will be wood right?  If on concrete we are talking a different story.  Unfortunately everyone thinks a manuals or guide lines are the gospil, at least those who know  no more than what is written. Think again because every job is different and if you don't know what the hell you are doing weather you passed a test or not you are going to get yourself in deep s**t. 5 airmovers and 3 LGRs in one 12 X 12 room it would be cheaper to R & R.  Unless your equipment is free.Guitar
Just My opinion
TGIF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TGIF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2004 at 7:22pm

Brian - your right that seems to be how the insurance industry wants us to calculate.  Its a beautiful thing.  They want us to be ASD certified and WRT certified to be on their preffered list.  Now we can justify the equipment on the job with the education to back us up.  We cannot completly depend on certification or education on every job, sometimes job experience is the key to completing a job properly.  It sounds like you know what your talking about.  How long has our other panelists been at this?  I see some old and some new school in the panel.  I myself like to use a bit of both old and new.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>